Thread: Antelope Canyon

Antelope Canyon

Hi,

This is not exactly a technical canyoneering topic. I just wanted to hear your
    opinions.
    I always wanted to photograph a slot being not in a hurry and without any climbing gear on me. Just sit there and wait for the light and the colors to come out. Antelope slots were ones of such kind because they are easily accessible. They are accessible only through the tour companies in Page. That's a puzzle. Who can recommend what? Does any one have an experience with those companies or has anyone photographed in Antelope slots? I will appreciate it very much if you will share your tips.
    Going there during July 4th holidays.

Thank you.
    spinl0k.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Have you always wanted to photograph a slot in general or Antelope Canyon? The problem with Antelope (especially during 4th of July weekend) is that it is so pact with people. You will also encounter this issue with Little Wild Horse Canyon. There are lots of other canyons though that would be easier to set up and not be disturbed for the day, but I can see where you would want a specific canyon.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Antelope was an obvious choice. A no-brainer. And I kind of suspected the crouds on 4th of July. The thing is that I'm not going to be able to justify any technical adventure to my wife during the holidays as she is coming with me.
    I may not have enough time to do any other canyons, because I will have only the weekend and I'm driving from Northern California.
    Last year I went to few slots in Zion: Pine Creek, Echo, Mistery and Subway.
    I had a lot of fun, but I didn't make any decent picture. My friend were always in a hurry and it was very difficult to pack and unpack camera gear for every shot.
    Permit reservations is another obstacle that deters from most technical canyons in Zion. It is not a problem for locals. But may be a big deal for someone from another state.

If you have some moderately easily accessible slot on your mind like Subway, please share your thoughts. I appreciate you reply.

peek-a-boo and spooky in the escalante area are really beautiful non technical canyons, they get visitors most every day but it might be a good option. I don't know how the location will work for you though.

If you just want to take cool pictures of an easily accessible slot canyon I would suggest Leprechaun Canyon. All the best picture opportunities are accessible to hikers and only 20 minutes from the highway.... best of all, no big rush or crowds. Just hike up the bottom of the wash and you are there (reverse techie route).

Leprechaun Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/leprechaun1.htm

All the pics on the above page were taken in hiker accessible areas....

Water Holes canyon on the res near Antelope is lovely and some of it is not that difficult and won't be a zoo like Antelope will be.
    Zebra slot also in the Escalante area is extremely interesting and photogenic if dry.
    West Fork (??) of Big Horn canyon is also photogenic-- a little more work for that one.
    Buckskin Gulch isn't really all that narrow or colorful but has some nice light and is easy for a short length if you can tolerate a little wading.
    Round Valley Draw has a little downclimb; again not all that colorful but nice striations.
    Lick Wash again is not truely a slot but has some nice aspects, easy hiking and some colors near the end of the narrows.

Some others I can't really remember right now.
    You can rest when you're dead

Thank you everybody for your replies and suggestions. I appreciate your feedback very much.
    I decided to take a short tour to upper Antelope canyon just for the sake of seeing it (even with if crowded). An then for the shots we are going to visit Leprechaun canyon and Water Holes. At least those. If I'll find more information for other canyons mentioned in this thread I'll definitely try them.

I will probably need a permit for Water Holes canyon. Do I need any permits to the Leprechaun?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by spinl0ck
    Do I need any permits to the Leprechaun?
    Nope.

The canyons mentioned are spread out over a large area... if you narrows down the areas you want to visit it might be easier to suggest slot canyons to visit...

Anther canyon that photographs well and is easily hiker accessible is Red Cave.

Red Cave
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/redcave.htm

Red Cave is only about 90 minutes from Antelope and Water Holes.

Bull Valley Gorge to Sheep Creek to Willis Creek
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/sta...lley-gorge.htm

might also be a route that would interest you....

Brilliant! I'll add Red Cave and Bull Valley Gorge to my list.
    Thank you.

Yea, Red Cave, Bull Valley Gorge, Round Valley Draw, Cottonwood Wash Slot, Wire Pass, Buckskin Gulch... all would be a much shorter drive from Page (where Antelope canyon is) than Leprechaun.