Thread: TR: Mesa Verde

TR: Mesa Verde

Our trip started with a traffic jam by Woodscross. Not too far ahead of us, a fifth wheel camping trailer jacknifed, overturned and it looked like it smashed the back of another car. I hope that no body was hurt, and they were coming home from a trip.

Anyway, it was smooth sailing between Woodscross and Mesa Verde. We were there in pretty good time. We registered for our campsites, and cruised around and found some that we liked.

After Breakfast the next morning, we headed out to Cliff Palace. I was impressed with the efforts made by the Ancestral Puebloans in making such elaborate domiciles.

And the view from their front porch is amazing.

We purchased tickets to have a ranger-guided tour for the three ruins. I am glad we did. Getting there was fun in itself.

Then we headed over to Balcony House, on another Ranger guided tour.

Balcony House

For the rest of the day, we stopped at the overlooks, and did the self guided tour of Spruce Tree House.

Cliff Palace from overlook

Some ruins on the top of the mesa

The next day, we found some geocaches in Cortez, and headed down to the Four Corners Monument.

Then we traveled a bit past Shiprock, New Mexico and got a few more geocaches and headed back to camp.

Day Three we headed to the other side of the park and did the guided tour of Long House.

I was impressed more by this than any of the others, but perhaps it may have been the ranger. She was great.

Smashing Heads

Impressions of corn from 800 years ago

Long House from overlook

We spent nearly the whole day on this side of the park. The kids were tired so we spent the remainder of the day back at camp.

The weather had been in the mid 80's during the day, but today was a bit chilly. Then it started to rain around 10pm, so we went to bed.

It rained all night, and was snowing when we got up. After breakfast, and letting the fire die out, we packed up and headed out. We had a few stops to make, as well as grabbing a few geocaches.

Church Rock

Newspaper Rock

Wilson Arch

My son wanted to climb up to it...

Hole in the Rock

He thought this was cool. I think it would be a rough ride.

It was a great trip, I will be going back for sure.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like you had fun, I can't wait untill my kids are a little older so we can do some trips like that nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Looks like an awesome area. Now I have another place to take the family too. Thanks for the TR and pics
    The man thong is wrong.

Mesa Verde is awesome, I loved that place as well. Definitely worth staying there a couple of nights. Looks like your kid totally enjoyed the trip!

good pics. where did you camp out down there. I would love to make a trip down there some time.

Quote Originally Posted by colbylee
    good pics. where did you camp out down there. I would love to make a trip down there some time.
    We stayed in the park at Moorefield Campground. It was nice for the girls with flush toilets and showers...

Pimpin' bogley stylezzzzz. . .