Thread: 8 Bulls over 400 taken in Utah in 2007

8 Bulls over 400 taken in Utah in 2007

I've got 13 Elk bonus points hopefully it will be my turn soon.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ok so I am a firearms enthusiast and self appointed expert, but I know squat about North American hunting. I assume the 400+ number refers to rack size?
    I have had a long time desire to go for an elk for the freezer. I would just as soon have elk as beef but haven't taken the opportunity yet. I don't hunt deer simply because I wont eat them. The only "big" game I have ever taken was an oryx (and it was delicious). I can't say it was particularly challenging, but I enjoyed it none the less. We came upon a nice herd after only an hour, prop the cannon on a rock and there you go.
    So who wants to take me elk hunting?

I'm with you parrothead. I like beef, but put a chunk of elk out there and you can guess which direction I'll go. I've never taken an opportunity to hunt them but I'm sure one of these days I'll get out there and bring home a big ole chunk of meat.

Hope you get out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by parrothead_madness
    The only "big" game I have ever taken was an oryx (and it was delicious).
    An Oryx, wow, I can only dream. Where did you get it. I thought about putting in for one in New Mexico, but it's $3,000. I guess some got loose from a hunting reserve and started a wild heard down there. Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see them.

As far as eating elk; yes, they are ever so delicious even the big bulls, are better than the youngest and most tender deer.

Re: 8 Bulls over 400 taken in Utah in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MY T PIMP
    I am right there with you, put in for 13 years now. San Juan Elk ridge muzzleloader. maybe next year

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    I am right there with you, put in for 13 years now. San Juan Elk ridge muzzleloader. maybe next year
    Maybe we should team up and better our odds for a draw. However with 13 points muzzleloader my be out of the question. At these high numbers don't you think we should be putting in for rifle tags.

Maybe we should team up and better our odds for a draw. However with 13 points muzzleloader my be out of the question. At these high numbers don't you think we should be putting in for rifle tags.
    Yes probably would have better odds at bagging a monster with a rifle tag.
    Acording to this site our odds are 100% if we put in for any weapon late san juan.
    http://www.hunterstrailhead.com/huntsearch.php?ST=UT

An Oryx, wow, I can only dream. Where did you get it. I thought about putting in for one in New Mexico, but it's $3,000. I guess some got loose from a hunting reserve and started a wild heard down there. Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see them.
    Well, I can tell you pretty close where I was, it was in between Solitaire and Sessriem Namibia, kinda east towards the mountains. I stumbled into the opportunity being at the right place at the right time with Amex in hand, lol. I joined three Australian guys on a day trip. I paid about $600 in fees and borrowed a .375 H&H from the manager of the hotel I was staying at in Windhoek. I tipped our guides' assistant about $100 in SA rand to clean it. I checked on getting a mount done, that was going to be close to $2k and a pain to export home so no dice. I now wish I had though. I gave half the meat to the guide and his staff and half to the hotel manager and his wife grilled some awesome steaks from it. I'll have to dig up the pictures, I have painfully few unfortunately. I took a disposable camera with me and left the good camera with my wife, so I have 3500 digital pictures of Africa and maybe 4 decent ones of my hunt.

I'll have to dig up the pictures, I have painfully few unfortunately.
    I took a disposable camera with me and left the good camera with my wife, so I have 3500 digital pictures of Africa
    and maybe 4 decent ones of my hunt.
    Hmmmm. Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Yeah, you are right. I finally got a little motivated this evening and put the first 500 pics on photobucket. I will add more as I can. Only the first 100 or so have any tags or description, that got old REALLY fast. Enjoy.
    http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...adness/Africa/

Those are some great shots from out there I fully understand the title thing, 90% of the time, I just skip that option
    Where's the kill? Got too tired of staring at PhotoBucket I get tired of that too

That's a sweet site! Its a lot better than down loading the adobe files off of the dwr website.

Monroe might also be a good hunt if your talking late tags. Where SanJaun has only averaged a %75 kill rate, Moroe's late hunt is averaging %100.

That's a sweet site! Its a lot better than down loading the adobe files off of the dwr website.

Monroe might also be a good hunt if your talking late tags. Where SanJaun has only averaged a %75 kill rate, Moroe's late hunt is averaging %100.
    I like San Juan mostly because I grew up there, know the area well and I have freinds and family there that can scout for me and help when I tag a big one.

We should plan a weekend scouting trip to Monroe this summer to see whats up.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Yeah, you are right. I finally got a little motivated this evening and put the first 500 pics on photobucket. I will add more as I can. Only the first 100 or so have any tags or description, that got old REALLY fast. Enjoy.
    http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...adness/Africa/
    I added 1250 more this evening.

I added 1250 more this evening.
    So, we won't hijack this thread anymore ....head over to the The Dark Room and I'll continue your Africa trip there...great shots