Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying Dog trail

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I had a hunch it might be HOT. :-) The article said the climbing was very gradual... generally pretty mild... what did you think?

The good news is, Mtnbiker and his wife, my good friend, Tammy, have a BEAUTIFUL baby girl! Well worth missing the ride to be the first one outside the family to hold her! AWESOME!

Glad you had a good ride. We'll try another time. :-)
    Good work Ian and Tammy! Sounds like a great fathers day gift

I went with Punchking. I thought the trail was harsh! but then it was my first trail ride on the single speed bike, and I havn't ridden a hardtail for a few years either so I am feeling it

I think of the 16 miles, we rode uphill for nearly 13. Maybe next time we will ride the loop the other direction. The weather was great and the scenery was fantastic. I will probably think it was worth it after a recovery period
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Harsh, huh? 13 miles of climbing?! Hmmm. Sounds like a totally different trail then this article describes: "Fast, flowing, buffed singletrack" "The sagebrush slopes at a comfortable pitch, which got me to a full sweat quickly but without redlining my heart rate." "gradual climbs and playful descents."

In any case, glad you had fun! I'll have to give it a go on a COOLER day! :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

It wasn't as harsh as I made it sound. Nicely built trail and is smooth and flowy. The downhill sections are steeper and short, the uphill is long and gradual for the most part. The entire trail is definately rideable even by someone as out of shape as me. It was the single speed that did me in. Some steeper sections I would have liked an easier gear.
    We will hit the short and sweet loop on Tuesday and I will look foreward to a cooler day to ride the long loop again

How sweet would it be if you came down the way you went up??? That sounds good! :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I rode Flying Dog yesterday as well, riding from Jeremy Park Elementary over to 24/7-Jeremy Connector up to the Dog. It's was starting to get pretty hot towards the end, but much of the upper parts of the Dog are in aspen groves and higher elevation, so it tends to be a little cooler. This was my second time on the Dog overall and first time this year. The climbs are definitely gradual. A strong climber shouldn't need to get out of their second chainring for the entire climb. A few small muddy spots, but overall, the trail's in great shape. Alot more people on the trail this year compared to last year though. If I wasn't running in the Wasach Back, I'd probably ride it again this coming weekend.

Have fun doing the Wasatch Back! I ran it last year and it was a blast, I really really liked doing it. Out of town this year so we couldnt enter, or I would have definitely done it again.

Ok I want to hit this trail soon, looks like it would be a sweet ride!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Did a variation on the ride Thursday after work. Starting at the Jeremy Ranch Rd / East Canyon Rd junction, then a lollipop using the Preserve Connector and Flying Dog. Very, very nice, though I prefer starting from Glenwild when time permits. The trail system in Summit County is top notch.