Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screw Bikers

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Oh, I totally agree. As I said, the cyclists, as well, are expected to follow the same rules and laws of the road. I'm an avid cyclist and...

...I have always maintained that we all need to be advocates for ourselves by being respectful to drivers and and the laws.
    Just throwing in that both sides need to pay attention There's good and bad on two and four wheels

I couldn't agree more with your last statement and I'm not even liberal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Oh, I totally agree. As I said, the cyclists, as well, are expected to follow the same rules and laws of the road. I'm an avid cyclist and I have always maintained that we all need to be advocates for ourselves by being respectful to drivers and and the laws.
    Now if only the motorcyclists would do the same.

I chuckle (then growl) a bit everytime I see a bumper sticker that says "Watch out for Motorcycles".

Between my house and 6200 South & Redwood, almost every motorcyclists drives like there are no lanes, blinkers have never been invented and there's some bikini show down the street!

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8grvty
    ... the ones that ride in the middle of the lane, not sliding over so I can pass them... those are the ones that i think about giving a friendly 'bump' on the rear tire.

If bikers (most are good about it but some ) used some common sense and stopped the attitude that they have the same rights as a car, ...
    First of all, bikes do have the same rights as cars, by law. As such, they are expected to follow the same rules and laws of the road. And as such, drivers must treat them as a VEHICLE, meaning, if the road is too narrow, without a bike lane, for a car to fully fit, with three feet or more of a buffer to pass, the bike HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY in that lane and can, by law, take the full lane, the driver must wait behind and pass when it is clear.
    Bikes should NOT be legal on the road unless they are licensed and insured just like EVERY other vehicle on the road. Once you have to pay the same as I do for using the road then I will be more than happy to share it with you as long as you get the hell over when I am coming.

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    Bikes should NOT be legal on the road unless they are licensed and insured just like EVERY other vehicle on the road. Once you have to pay the same as I do for using the road then I will be more than happy to share it with you as long as you get the hell over when I am coming.
    Huh, wow.... Good point Interesting point

I doubt this is really an issue over which any of us can really disagree very strongly, but who knows :D.

I bike to work (usually anyway), I own two cars which are registered and I am fully insured in which ever car I am driving. I just think that riding my bike is good for me (both physically and financially) and is good for the environment, plus it is good for the other drivers because there is one less car on the road blocking you from the next stop light before it turns.

Wouldn't I then be entitled to have road shared with me while on my bike?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    But, when you're at fault at an accident, what "B" brought up fits. You're still entitled, but having a little more responsibility if there are consequences to your actions. Why not be an insured bicyclist? Having a registered bicycle? After all, you are using the same roadways we are, for the same purposes

... the ones that ride in the middle of the lane, not sliding over so I can pass them... those are the ones that i think about giving a friendly 'bump' on the rear tire.

If bikers (most are good about it but some ) used some common sense and stopped the attitude that they have the same rights as a car, ...
    First of all, bikes do have the same rights as cars, by law. As such, they are expected to follow the same rules and laws of the road. And as such, drivers must treat them as a VEHICLE, meaning, if the road is too narrow, without a bike lane, for a car to fully fit, with three feet or more of a buffer to pass, the bike HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY in that lane and can, by law, take the full lane, the driver must wait behind and pass when it is clear.
    Yes and all bikes need to obey all traffic laws. ...When was the last time you saw a bike stop at a stop sign?
    Ouch my freaking ears....

Don't understand my avatar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzIg0CPW5Q

Yeah, cyclists usually have cars that they've paid taxes and insurance on too.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I am just saying that if you are using your bicycle on the road for transportation that you should be Licensed & Insured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Yeah, cyclists usually have cars that they've paid taxes and insurance on too.
    In that case I pay taxes & insurance on my Explorer, so why do I have to pay taxes & insurance on my Corolla?
    and my Motor Home?

Just to let you know, I move over and share the road with bikes.

Davis-
    I think you actually make a good point about adding the bike like another car, but I don't think we as tax payers should have to pay to have our cars re-registred every year, so I can't be in favor of adding more taxes but I get the point you making.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Well, I pay taxes on both my cars too.

Most people you see road biking will only do it once or twice a week, and have as many automobiles as the average person.

The real difference is the gasoline tax. That's what's paying for the maintenance on the roads, where cyclists will have less impact.

On the other hand, cyclists can still get speeding tickets and traffic violations, since they are operating a vehicle.

people on bikes in some areas make me want to run them off the road.I have however never done so. Especially in the uintas! the ones that ride in the middle of the lane, not sliding over so I can pass them... those are the ones that i think about giving a friendly 'bump' on the rear tire.
    IF bikes are going to be in places cars go, both parties need to give each other some respect.
    I always see people bitching about cars when they ride bikes, If bikers (most are good about it but some ) used some common sense and stopped the attitude that they have the same rights as a car
    dude ... it's the uintas ... you should be enjoying the scenery

friendly bump? imp of the perverse ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    since they are operating a vehicle.
    A motor vehicle is what brings the registration on. Motorized down to a certain C.C. depending on your State. But, even though a bike is self-powered and a walker is foot powered, once they hit a roadway they are subjected to laws of safe travel. We're all supposed to work in harmony together

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    The biggest problem with bikes on hiways is the speed difference. Until bikes can maintain a 45 mph minimum they will be hit and killed.
    Lets see-- If I'm traveling down a mountain road and come around a blind curve and theres a biker in the middle of the lane and traffic coming in the other direction, I know what "my" best option is.(hint) a head-on is out of the question.

Yep--pay more taxes and build your own roads.

another question comes to mind: Is it better on you and your car to accelerate over a biker or slow your speed a little over a biker? What makes an easier clean up? I also think the faster your going the less likely you are to spill your beer.

bikers are insured by the liability limit on their homeowners/renters policy *usually

*Some restrictions apply. See your local insurance agent for more details. Only applies to people with said coverages. Jaxx accepts no responsibility for telling you whatever he wants with nothing to back it up, aka pulling it out of his a#@. But if you need this coverage give him a call!
    The man thong is wrong.

people on bikes in some areas make me want to run them off the road.I have however never done so. Especially in the uintas! the ones that ride in the middle of the lane, not sliding over so I can pass them... those are the ones that i think about giving a friendly 'bump' on the rear tire.
    IF bikes are going to be in places cars go, both parties need to give each other some respect.
    I always see people bitching about cars when they ride bikes, If bikers (most are good about it but some ) used some common sense and stopped the attitude that they have the same rights as a car, and a few more inhabitants of the autos pulled their heads out, it would be hella better for both parties.
    As to veering towards the bikes, you should keep some old fashioned jacks in your pocket, ditch the bike and toss them out in front of the car If ya got time and some james bond fantasy, you could even rig the bike up to drop the jacks. Maybe sharpen the tops up a bit to ensure they pierce the tire. Kids have left em out and I promise they will pierce the foot on your skin, sharpen em up and they should do a tire reasonably well. Maybe make the car pull over so you can have a face to face about the 'scare'
    Okay, first and foremost a person on a bicycle is called a "cyclist." "Bikers" wear leather and ride Harleys. Second, if you have problems with a cyclist there's a 99.9% chance it's because you're a crappy driver. I can count on one hand the number of frustrating encounters I've had with cyclists and I've been driving for over half my life. Contrast that with the fact that I have an unpleasant encounter with a motorist about once a week when I'm cycling. The finger of blame is pointed squarely at the motorists.

From what I hear the problem is worst in Utah where we have the most ignorant drivers on earth. Dave Zabreiske (?sp), who has won a stage or two of the Tour de France, had ridden all over the country. He's been hit by cars twice; both times in Utah.

I will agree, cyclists can be pretty demanding, but motorists can be too. I feel both parties could give a little and gain a lot.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

That is one of the weakest arguments the anti-cyclists fling. The average recreational cyclist earns over $70k/year and owns more than one motor vehicle. The taxes are being paid as well as the insurance. Cyclists cause essencially no wear to the road, not nearly as much as even the smallest motor car.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Instead of making this anti-vehicle, let's not leave out the bikes. The ones that do not stop at stop signs and the ones that feel just because they're wearing a fancy little helmet, rules of the road do not apply to them. I've seen tons of accidents where the cyclists were at fault of the accidents they were involved in. From kids that didn't know any better to arrogant adults that should have known better.
    I agree, cyclists should obey all traffic control signals. But what if they don't? Why do motorists get so angry about this, especially if it does nothing to slow them down? I think it's a jealousy issue more than anything. They wish they could weave through stopped traffic or bust through four-way stops. Get over it. If the cyclist gets hit they're the one who will pay the price. Whether the stone hits the glass or the glass hits the stone the result is the same.

BTW, do you see cyclists getting angry because there's a car out there somewhere doing 90 on the freeway (something illegal that they can't do & and has zero effect on their life)? I think not.

Single electrical engineer with no dependents and two motor vehicles that get driven 3000 miles per year each. My bikes account for the remaining 5000 miles per year of vehicular travel. I don't know about everybody else here but I get RAPED on my taxes.

I'm therefore paying for more than my share of the roadways and my bike does less damage to it in a year than my car or truck does in a single day. My car or truck furthermore does less damage in a year than an overloaded 18-wheeler does in a single day.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...