Thread: How to remove most internet advertisements

How to remove most internet advertisements

I put this together with my Mother-in-law in mind, and then I thought I would forward it along in case you guys were interested. I have had "Adblock Plus" for a long time and I have really enjoyed it. I recentely discovered IE7PRO, but it seems to work really well.

Internet Explorer:

IE7PRO

FireFox:

AdBlock Plus
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...4-fx+tb+sm.xpi
    (For some reason you have to copy and paste the Adblock Plus link)

Attached is an image to help demonstrate what to do.

A. Click the down arrow to the side of the ABP logo in the top right, and select preferences
    B. Click on "Filters" in the top right, "Add filter subscription",
    C. Select "EasyList USA" from the drop down menu and press okay.

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hopefully not too many ads here are blocked, as that's how we pay the bills.

i'm curious, over the span of the year, how much do the google ads bring in?
    i also wonder if a yearly "fund" drive would yeild more? then those pesty ads could be eliminated and one would not need to add additional adware to their computers.

just wondering...

thanks Discgo

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    hopefully not too many ads here are blocked, as that's how we pay the bills.
    I am worried that if we all start using adblockers than gaychubby.com may go under without our support :).

I also think a drive is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I am worried that if we all start using adblockers than gaychubby.com may go under without our support :).
    I think the right direction is to reduce the amount of chubby gays on bogley.com, as these ads are usually intuitive.

Also about the fund drive thing, we've actually been trying to sell these bottles for 8 bucks for a little while now as a "Support Bogley" kind of thing. We'd definitely like to thank those members who have purchased some.

Charity events and fund drives are kind of a pain to get started and maintain. Sure there are a few members who enjoy giving, but most people just want to log on, post a few things, and log off. That's fine too, and that's what the forum is meant for.

We like the idea of giving a product along with the donation.... or selling. I personally don't like asking for charity, so giving a product in return is better.

With the ads, we always consider the cosmetics when placing them. You'll notice the banner ad at the bottom of each page; we know it won't get many clicks because it's down at the bottom, but just showing up on the page will generate a fraction of a penny or so.

We could stack 20 ads at the bottom out of everybody's way, but that would just look stupid, and we do occasionally want the possibility of relevant ads, because clicks bring more.

We try to find the balance of placing ads, but not enough that will distract from the bogley content.

As for the look of bogley.com.... keep your eyes open this month, I think you'll all like what you see. Big changes.

I think the nalgenes are awesome. I hope you guys do make enough out of those. I don't mind buying something that is about 10 dollars every quarter. And based on your comments Beech, I have disabled ABP on Bogley.com (and Bogley.com only :D).

Iv got a million bottles already, But I would buy say a t shirt, or a bumper sticker with the bogley logo on it. It would be pretty easy and free to set up a cafe press account for the website, and sell items like that there with teh website and logo printed on them. It would also spam the world with the website location.
    Coffee cup for work, bumper sticker for the truck, t shirt for trips to the climbing gym. Drive membership with legitimate users and make some money to pay the bills.
    Its good in Theory at least.
    You could also buy the software or hire a local printer to do it yourself, but then you have to collect and package and ship, seems to big a pain in the butt to me, to do it that way.

As for the look of bogley.com.... keep your eyes open this month, I think you'll all like what you see. Big changes.
    SWEET... Vbulletin with no ADS...awe you guys are the best

it won't be as cool if there isn't an uprising of boglings

What is wrong with ads?
    As long as they are not popping up and zooming around my screen, and making noise I have no problem with them. Its how we most of the good stuff for free.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    SWEET... Vbulletin with no ADS...awe you guys are the best
    Sure, we've looked at Vbulletin too, but that costs money....

And that doesn't mean we won't have ads there too.

The current ads are just enough to cover the costs of hosting & such, but then there's the unseen cost of moving servers, fixing bugs, programming mods, managing the members, site projects.... many of which keep us up 'til the a.m.

Some may notice I hardly post as much as I used to. It's not because I'm not on bogley, I'm just not on the forum... We're getting ready to roll something out.

[We're getting ready to roll something out.

I don't mind ads. Mabey it's because I'm a cheapo and I know that when I get a sweet forum like Bogley to BS on everyday and not pay for my membership, things need to get paid for. If it is by ads then so be it.

Also, do you know if the bottles are the #7 plastic or are they the newer ones?
    The man thong is wrong.