Thread: Noob Recommendations/Suggestions?

Noob Recommendations/Suggestions?

Hey-

I am wondering if anyone knows any good and relatively easy canyons in the Moab area, or maybe around the Swell? We have an open Thursday this week and had plans to meet up with some people for some canyons, but our partners cant make it anymore. I've never done something technical on my own, so something relatively easy would be cool. Or some skilled partners for thursday morning/afternoon...

Any thoughts about Music canyon in the Swell?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Since you are relatively new, you could also check out Little Wild Horse/Bell loop (mostly a hike), as well as Ding and Dang (a little more than a hike, but not too bad.) Both are in the Swell; near Goblin Valley.

Music isn't too bad of a canyon; but it's still a technical adventure. We've downclimbed and upclimbed it; and the upclimbs are spicy. Don't know your climbing background, so unless you are pretty confident, you might be leaving a rope at up to four places if you are doing the yo yo. If you are doing the down and hike through the muddy thing, which is a great hike, just make sure the water levels are good before you go.

Hope you have a great time!
    A.J.

Thanks for the input! We have done LWH/Bell loop before, as well as Crack canyon. We have already done a good bit of technical stuff this year, and am pretty confident in our downclimbing skills. Upclimbing not so much though. We definitely want something technical.
    I think we will end up in the Moab area. Any comments on Dragonfly, Medieval Chamber or Cameltoe?

tierdrop is a nice one. The rigging on the first rappel is different. Most people accept that the first rap should and can be "ghosted" from there it is almost as big of a contraversy as bolt wars. Honestly if I do Tierdrop again I will just downclimb/slide the first rap. As a famous beta writer once said it is a "candyassed rappel". It is a pretty short canyon so you could go back around and do not tierdrop too, I haven't done that one.
    Medieval Chamber was cool because we rapped off the arch. Otherwise it was a cool canyon with the smallest narrow section on earth. I would do it again though. The car shuttle is a biotch on that one.

Sorry that is my limited knowledge.
    The man thong is wrong.

thanks for the input- it is all appreciated. i have already done tierdrop this year. what is 'not tierdrop'? i noticed there looked to be a few other drainages coming down from that top saddle once you get to the top of the up climb...

I think it is just to the right of tierdrop LDC.
    The man thong is wrong.

IMHO... Dragonfly is the best Moab canyon on your list.... and the route is noob friendly as tech canyons go.

Dragonfly
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/dragonfly.htm

sounds great- i have read all the info for dragonfly on your site. that is what we are leaning towards. maybe i am just being to nervous since it is the first we have done on our own. nothing out of the ordinary we need to know or gear we need to bring?

Just take extra care not to trample the Crypto.... making a game out of who can get to the wash bottom without leaving a footprint makes it fun and easy.

we got to dragonfly much later than we anticipated, and after the recent rainy/cold weather, we got to the first pothole section at about 6PM, my wife got in the water and said it was freezing... since she had already dropped her pack with her previously dry clothes into a different pothole- we decided to head back out... the potholes we got to seemed to be as full as possible, and it took a little longer than we would have liked to get my wife back out and in to my dry clothes that are about 4 times her size...

so has anyone done Music canyon lately? is it an easy enough canyon to take some younger kids through with limited rapelling experience?

I did the Crawford Draw last week and really enjoyed it. It is just over an hour from LWH, but you don't see as many people.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

any links for beta including route descriptions and directions? i havent heard much about that one. is it technical?

looks like it is a fairly wet canyon? did you run in to swimming, deep wading... we want to stay as dry as possible...
    thanks for the input