Thread: Time without Ruth

Time without Ruth

Admittedly my time without Ruth did not start great:

Things have started heating up since then thankfully!

So much cool stuff in the swell!:

I finally reached the "Head of Sinbad", and may forever have a scar to prove it:

We went all over the Swell on this trip:

Hanging out on Dutchman's Arch:

Hiked the Crawford Draw:

Hiked to the top of a small plateau and discovered the ruins of ancient cliff dwelling (the cliff is in the background:

(Those aforementioned cliff dwelling ruins were not as cool as they sounded, thus the lack of picture.

Went to "Wild Horse Window"

Hiked half of Ding Dang Canyon (which I didn't really like)

And watched a sunset:
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The boy in the first picture is my nephew who usually loves me. His parents left, and he lost it.

Thanks for sharing, DiscGo. That is a great area, although I haven't been to Crawford's Draw. (Never heard of it.) Did you do Little Wild Horse? did you go to Black Dragon Canyon (one of my favorite pictographs)?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

It looks like you had a great time--especially around the campfire! I like your pictures of this area:

Whereabouts is that? It looks vaguely familiar, but I don't recall seeing that little spire before.

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Thanks for sharing, DiscGo. That is a great area, although I haven't been to Crawford's Draw. (Never heard of it.) Did you do Little Wild Horse? did you go to Black Dragon Canyon (one of my favorite pictographs)?
    Little Wild Horse is not that close to Crawford Draw. I have done it before but not this trip. I did DingDang which is in the same area but DingDang is more like Bell Canyon on steroids.

I think Little Wild Horse may be the prettiest in Utah, but I loved Crawford Draw.

We spent a bit of time out there but I really need to go back. Thanks for all the good pics.

Stan, I wanted to go to the Black Dragon last week but the girls wanted to go thru Torrey for Lattes and candy. Get the PW emoticon out.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Nice fire! Why didn't you like ding?
    The man thong is wrong.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Nice photos. I really enjoy the swell and hope to get back out there again late Summer/Early Fall (when its not so hot).

Most times, I can be found with my 10 year old; he's quite the outdoorsman!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Why didn't you like ding?
    I don't really like Bell either. I usually like to hike with my camelbak on so I have plenty of fluids, and some emergency items just in case, and Ding & Dang have so many points where you are nudging up the wall with your back on one point and your legs to the other and no place to put my bag.

I like to hike in my Chacos, and I guess in short I like my bouldering to be my bouldering and my hiking to be my hiking. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy scaling rocks during hikes, I just don't like having to inch my way up so much. Just a personal preference.

I was in that same area 4 weeks ago when we biked on the Devils Race Track. We hiked up that same canyon. I think that rock spire is called Chimney Rock. I posted some pics in the Mt Biking forum. Thanks Discgo.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Stan, I wanted to go to the Black Dragon last week but the girls wanted to go thru Torrey for Lattes and candy.
    The girls always get there way. How is that?

Anyway, here is the main Black Dragon pictograph, although there are quite a few others.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I have heard of black dragon but I had no idea why it was called that until right now. Cool picture Sparker!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Why didn't you like ding?
    I don't really like Bell either. I usually like to hike with my camelbak on so I have plenty of fluids, and some emergency items just in case, and Ding & Dang have so many points where you are nudging up the wall with your back on one point and your legs to the other and no place to put my bag.
    there are a few ways of dealing with that. you could place your pack on your chest. you could place it loosely on one arm so your back is free. also, you could bring a short rope/cord along, you could climb up, then have someone hook the bag(s) to the rope and you pull them up for everyone. there are also various ways of attaching your pack to your waist to let it hang beneath you while you upclimb/downclimb.

I like to hike in my Chacos, and I guess in short I like my bouldering to be my bouldering and my hiking to be my hiking. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy scaling rocks during hikes, I just don't like having to inch my way up so much. Just a personal preference.
    certainly a personal preference. i thought i'd take the opportunity to point out that while there are lots of different types of narrows/slots on the plateau, there is a substantial collection of slots which narrow sufficiently to make this sort of thing a regular venture, some of lengthy duration and difficulty.

Discgo,
    was that the return of the infamous colorado river suprise greasebomb?!

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    there are a few ways of dealing with that. you could place your pack on your chest. you could place it loosely on one arm so your back is free. also, you could bring a short rope/cord along, you could climb up, then have someone hook the bag(s) to the rope and you pull them up for everyone. there are also various ways of attaching your pack to your waist to let it hang beneath you while you upclimb/downclimb.
    That really is sounds advice, for which I will plan in the future. I just didn't expect as many obstructions on the trail. I used to always hike with my emergency rope, and I think I will start bringing it again. Thanks Stefan!

Quote Originally Posted by Axpence
    Discgo,
    the infamous colorado river suprise greasebomb?!
    Grease bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice pictures~ Next time I should take some good ones when I come around this kind of place.
    wanna explore Utah with people who also like outdoors...

Quote Originally Posted by globy
    Next time I should take some good ones when I come around this kind of place.
    I couldn't agree more. I am all about the pictures and encourage others to take and share as many great pictures as possible!