Thread: Noob Question about Subway

Noob Question about Subway

A few friends and I are going through the Subway this weekend. Problem is, I'm the only one that's gone through before, and it was years ago in the middle of summer. What we're concerned about is water temperature. What would you guys suggest as far as wet suits are concerned?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I would not wear one in the Subway right now. Do wear quick dry clothing however. No cotton!

Wearing neoprene socks always makes you more comfortable.

The weather looks really nice this weekend, but I would recommend neoprene anyways. Much of the water flowing through the Subway is runoff from snow melt this time of year.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I would not wear one in the Subway right now. Do wear quick dry clothing however. No cotton!

Wearing neoprene socks always makes your more comfortable.
    It will be a lot tamer than my epic trip through April, not as fast or cold water. We wore wetsuits then but I highly doubt one would be needed now. I second the wear quick drying cloths that Tanya wrote. In April when ever we got cold we would stop in the sun and warm up and were just fine after a few minutes of drying off.

edit: all of Tanya's advice was good.

Air temps below 90 and I would go with a 3/2 cheapo wet suit. If you are going with skinny folks, I would definitely suggest a wet suit.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Noob Question about Subway

Quote Originally Posted by jperry1
    A few friends and I are going through the Subway this weekend. Problem is, I'm the only one that's gone through before, and it was years ago in the middle of summer. What we're concerned about is water temperature. What would you guys suggest as far as wet suits are concerned?
    Many people will enjoy The Subway much more if they are not cold. Most of the water in the Subway is spring-fed and not brutally cold - but the first few pools are 'winter water' and tend to be a few degrees colder. I believe the snow melt-off flow has probably finished by now.

I dislike questions like this, although you have stated it in the responsible manner (what would all y'alls suggest...). I suggest that some members of your party will have more fun if they wear a wetsuit. But then again, I have no idea who is in your party, do I? Bunch-a well-insulated relatives from the Minneapolis Polar Bear club - no problem! Field trip from the Tampa anorexia-last chance clinic? Drysuits!!! - but that is too long of a hike for them anyway (builds an apetite, not good).

Tom

I'd wear a little neoprene this weekend...

Or pack a fleece top in a dry bag so you can warm up if needed..... because someone will get cold for sure....

Bogley BigShot
    So.... Bogleyfest is around the corner and the group is doing Subway. Should they plan to wear wetsuits in it?

thanks guys

You've been very reassuring. Thank you.

Re: Noob Question about Subway

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Field trip from the Tampa anorexia-last chance clinic? Drysuits!!! - but that is too long of a hike for them anyway (builds an apetite, not good).

Tom
    I would like all to know that I've beat anorexia.
    Life is Good

Funny pic; starting the train wreck! ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    Funny pic; starting the train wreck! ;)
    To bring it back on the rails. My humble opinion, the guy in the photo would be fine without a wet suit in the Subway. I worry about him in the bowling ball section. (That is a great t-shirt/photo. I saw one a few years ago. That boy dun beat and kilt anorexia)
    Life is Good