Thread: Stainless Steel Guide Rod

Stainless Steel Guide Rod

I recently ordered a stainless steel guide rod for my Sig Sauer P229r Equinox. The one that comes in the gun is very cheap feeling. They are supposed to add a little weight under the barrel to help with the recoil. I was wondering if anyone had tried one and how well it worked. I ordered mine from GUIDEROD.com. Steve Bedair is the guy who makes and sells them. He has been great so far but I'm waiting to get it in the mail. He also makes them in tungsten steel but they are not recommended for carry purposes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ok so this thread was not so popular. I think it was just worthless with out pics. So I recieved my guide rod in the mail today. 2 days shipping. Real quick. Its quite a bit heavier and feels quite a bit better quality than the standard. I'll post again after I get to the range. Sorry the pictures are fuzzy. My camera is going down fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Have you fired it since changing out the rod? Does the extra weight effect your accuracy/shot-grouping?

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    Have you fired it since changing out the rod? Does the extra weight effect your accuracy/shot-grouping?
    I'd like to hear the answer to this question too as I have been considering buying one of these for my SigPro 40.

It will probably help some. How much does it weigh?
    I have a recoil spring plug with a slug of mallory metal in a 1911, its only about 1/2oz but it does make a noticeable difference.

Edit:I r gud spelr.

I haven't shot it yet. I had to roof a house today. I'll probobaly go tomorrow. The standard one weighs about .4 oz where as the steel is 1.1 oz. The Tungsten ones are 2.4 oz but are $75 a peice. I'll let everyone know after I give it a shoot.

Today was range day. I went to Get Some Guns and Ammo and put 100 rounds through it, just to see how it shoots. I have to say, I'm impressed. It brought my groups in tighter and really helped with the recoil of the gun. I posted a pictures of my grouping. It's all kind of low but thats a pretty good group for me. The holes in the top right corner are from a naughty dog who likes to step on my tagerts while I'm trying to take pictures. Overall my report is that these guide rods are highly recommended.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice. I figured you would notice. I only added .5oz and you got .7, a little does go a long way.
    Just for curiosity, do you aim "dead on" or "6 o'clock hold"? Most target guns are set up for a 6 o'clock, while a defensive handgun is usually dead on. That would explain a tad low at 7 to 10 yds.

I do aim DEAD ON. How is the gun set up for 6 oclock and how do I go about changing that. Might help get her into the black.

If you were aiming 6 o'clock it would be even lower then. Before you do anything to it fire a box from a rest to see if it's the point of aim or you. If it's the pistol a good smith can move the POI.
    Or, really you could just not worry about it unless it really bugs you. Your group and placement is just super ducky for SD purposes, which I assume is what you have it for.

Edit: FWIW, I shoot low with my Bersa 9mm, put it on a rest an that silly gun will put a box of 50 through a hole the size of a quarter. When I am holding it, well, lets just say it doesn't. No matter how much I practice with it.

Nice, I never thought a guide rod would make a lot of difference. Mine has been replaced with a lazer but it doen't help me shoot better

https://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=13