Thread: Durango, CO hikes?

Durango, CO hikes?

Going to be down that way mid-June. Looking for half-day hikes, challenging elevation gain is fine. I've found a few online and coordinated with the topo map but wanted to hear suggestions from others on here. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

don't remember how long a day it is but engineer peak is nice.

crater lake is very nice too.

both start right off the highway up around molas lake (i think, that sounds right, but w/out consulting a map i don't klnow if it is.)
    signature

Ice Lake, north of Silverton. See my reply to this question in the other thread.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Hiking up Vallecita Creek is always beautiful.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Excellent suggestions, but be aware that places like Ice Lake or Engineer Mountain will have lots of snow then, so be prepared for that if heading to either one. Probably Crater Lake too. All good if you don't mind snow and have really good boots.

If you aren't looking for a lot of snow, Geyser Spring is nice and is Colorado's only geyser. It is closer to Delores than Durango though. If you want something really close to Durango without too much snow, Goulding Creek or Animas Mountain would be good. As said, Vallecito would be a good choice too (but could be wet in spots, but little snow unless way up high).

Hey guys! Thank you so much. I've found information on all these hikes online but didn't trust the information until I got Bogley feedback!!! HAHA!! I definately love recommendations and appreciate them all. Not sure we are up for the whole snow thing since my father will be joining in from Texas. And we have to make it a quick one (6 hours max) since my mom will be with the kids.....so will let you know what we decide and hopefully post some pics later in June.

Rock on Bogelyites!

The snow is going fast but there still is a lot. I'm sure Haflin creek trail is all melted out, probably hermosa creek trail too. The La Platas look like the snow is almost gone. Animas mountain is fun, but right in town. You may want to check out junction creek and go up part of the CO trail. Raiders ridge is full of trails. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll be up in the mountains tommorrow I can let you know what Enigineer and Snowden look like, and crater lake trail.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    The snow is going fast but there still is a lot. I'm sure Haflin creek trail is all melted out, probably hermosa creek trail too. The La Platas look like the snow is almost gone. Animas mountain is fun, but right in town. You may want to check out junction creek and go up part of the CO trail. Raiders ridge is full of trails. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll be up in the mountains tommorrow I can let you know what Enigineer and Snowden look like, and crater lake trail.

That would be awesome. I am thinking to be safe, we may just hit the Colorado trail as I've done that before and it's really nice. Although not challenging, I'd like to do something with a little more of an elevation gain. I'll look back for your feedback on Engineer mountain as that was one I was interested in also. I'll check into Raiders Ridge also......LEMME KNOW on the snow levels. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    LEMME KNOW on the snow levels. Thanks!
    The snow is mostly gone. I hiked the trail from Purgatory to the Animas and back this morning and it was in fantastic shape. I'm sure the trail to needleton is fine too but I didn't go that far north. I didn't go far enough north to scope the approach to engineer but judging by how much snow is gone i'm sure you'd be fine. I'd definatley reccomend the purgatory trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    LEMME KNOW on the snow levels. Thanks!
    The snow is mostly gone. I hiked the trail from Purgatory to the Animas and back this morning and it was in fantastic shape. I'm sure the trail to needleton is fine too but I didn't go that far north. I didn't go far enough north to scope the approach to engineer but judging by how much snow is gone i'm sure you'd be fine. I'd definatley reccomend the purgatory trail.

GORGEOUS!!!!! I think this is the hike for us. Looking forward to it. :) Can you PM me trailhead info? Or is this something I can easily find online? I admit, I'm being lazy. HAHA!!

Doing the hike first thing in the morning and then meeting up at Trimble Hot Springs to enjoy the rest of the day. Can't wait! We hiked the Colorado Trail today. Not very far b/c of my mom and my youngest son but we were gone a good couple of hours. Very beautiful!!

MrBrejcha,

I'm planning to backpack into Chicago Basin around July 17. I've hiked into the basin via Vallecita Creek and Johnson Creek. I would love to take the train but that is not going to be possible. So, with that said is there another route into the Basin that you would recommend? The Vallecita Creek route may not even be possible if they haven't fixed the 3rd (?) bridge.

Do you have any guesses on the snowpack on these trails?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    MrBrejcha,

I'm planning to backpack into Chicago Basin around July 17. I've hiked into the basin via Vallecita Creek and Johnson Creek. I would love to take the train but that is not going to be possible. So, with that said is there another route into the Basin that you would recommend? The Vallecita Creek route may not even be possible if they haven't fixed the 3rd (?) bridge.

Do you have any guesses on the snowpack on these trails?

Thanks.
    You can hike into Chicago basin by starting on the Purgatory trail I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's around 15 miles total into Chicago Basin using this trailhead, you reach the river after 3ish, 7ish miles on the river trail, then 5ish up to Chicago Basin via the Needle Creek trail. Snow won't be a problem in July.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan/recr...animas/511.pdf
    (purgatory trail)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan/recr...animas/675.pdf
    (River Trail, read the attractions and cosiderations section)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan/recr...s/pine/504.pdf
    (Needle Creek trail)

Thanks. That looks like a much easier route than up Vallecita Creek.

Purgatory Trail photos

Saturday, June 14. We decided to hike down the Purgatory Trail right outside of Durango per Mrbrejcha's recommendation. What a fabulous hike!!! Very scenic, just the right amount of terrain, wildflowers blooming and as much distance as you wanted cover was there for us. We ended up hiking down to the river, along the river a couple of miles and then back up and out. Part of the trail was being washed out by the runoff so we were unable to make it over to the Chicago Basin area, near the bridge at Needleton. But all in all, it was a perfect hike. Thank you for the recommendation!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Glad you enjoyed the hike! (it's kinda hard not to!)