Thread: Cougar sighting in Draper!!

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Cougar sighting in Draper!!

It's official - there is a cougar wandering the streets of Draper. I know this because it ran out in front of my car tonight on Rambling Rd by the golf course area. I had consumed no alcohol and I also had a witness with me who yelled "Holy Sh*t!! It's a f***ing cougar!" Ok.....my friend has a foul mouth, but I was thinking the same thing! I actually pulled over to see if we could see it running up the hill on the golf course, but it was long gone.

So.....hikers and bikers, be on the look-out!

Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've heard stories from several co-workers that there are quite a few up in the Research Park area. On the other end of the valley I know but just thought I would add my two cents.
    Wish I could have caught a glimpse like you though. Very cool.

I bet it was pretty amazing to see in person! I've not seen one in the wild yet.......be careful out there girl! I've heard they are strong enough to kill and carry away an adult woman.

I did open this thread though wondering what KIND of COUGAR you were talking about? The one with claws and golden fur? Or the 50+ something female with too much Botox on the hunt for a 30 something year old guy to chase. HAHA!!!

Lucky you, Savanna. I'd love to see one in the wild (the furry kind). Now get out there and photograph that beast.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I totally agree, but when something whizzes by in front of you while you're driving down the road, it's pretty hard to stop, grab a camera and get a shot. I did pull over to see if it had stopped on the other side of the road, but it was nowhere to be seen.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Very cool!

Having spent most of my life in that area, with a considerable amount of time in the Corner Canyon area, I can say I'm not surprised, yet surprised at the same time

I've seen fox, deer and elk up there... heard about alot of moose sightings and now a cougar. Wolf is next :D

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Or the 50+ something female with too much Botox on the hunt for a 30 something year old guy to chase. HAHA!!!
    She said Draper Utah. Your description describes Draper. It must be the female adult.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpUt
    I've seen fox, deer and elk up there... heard about alot of moose sightings and now a cougar. Wolf is next :D
    You can add Coyote and Bobcat to the list of things I have seen while living in Draper... I have also seen deer, fox, elk, porcupines... I know there was a cougar living near Storm Window, but I never saw it, I would just cut it's tracks all the time one winter when I was hiking up there a lot.

Storm Window
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/stormwin.htm

Not even a little surprised. My mom had one sleeping under her deck below the hot tub for a few days one winter. Seems like it was 2001 or 2002, anyway, her backyard faces Highland drive at about 800 East. I can't remember if it was Animal Control or DWR or just who was involved, but they got it on the playground of the elementary school just up the hill a block or two. I also can't remember if they darted it or killed it now.
    It's been years now and my mom still gets nervous about it sometimes.
    I thought it was kinda cool when it was there, just leave it alone and it would go away. Thats the price you pay if you want to live on the mountain, you get the prior inhabitants with it.

I've seen three deer carcasses ripped to shreds on Draper trails, presumably by cougars: 1) on the BST north section between CC road and Bear River Bridge, 2) and 3) on the BST near the Red Rock climbing area. Both of the latter most likely were killed this winter.

They are definitely out there!

Although I have to say I did see one mother of a big coyote up in Corner Canyon last week. My friend's 120lb malumute stood only a bit taller than it, and only a little wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    Although I have to say I did see one mother of a big coyote up in Corner Canyon last week.
    I think the coyote's in the area get big eating school lunch.

They have put the grade school on lock down several times over the past few year when a coyote wanders in during the day.... my kids always come home real exicted about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Storm Window eh? Been all over that mountain, never really heard it had a name.

When you are the one who records it with the NABS you can supply a name, which they may or may not use.... Storm Window is officially in the books..... I recoreded it about 2000 or there abouts....

I believe they also list the arch as "Discovered By" or Recorded By"... or something like that.... I can't remember for sure, I haven't recorded an arch since Tinky and Winky (Zero-G) and that was 3 or 4 years ago....

I have recored several dozen arches and I know many others who frequent Bogley have also...

Natural Arch and Bridge Society
    http://www.naturalarches.org/

I know of one above PG...I'll have to check to see if it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    I know of one above PG...I'll have to check to see if it's there.
    I think you have to purchase their database to check for all arches.... the NABS is kind of a loosely run organization to say the least....

Arch database
    http://www.naturalarches.org/links.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    When you are the one who records it with the NABS you can supply a name, which they may or may not use.... Storm Window is officially in the books..... I recoreded it about 2000 or there abouts....

I believe they also list the arch as "Discovered By" or Recorded By"... or something like that.... I can't remember for sure, I haven't recorded an arch since Tinky and Winky (Zero-G) and that was 3 or 4 years ago....

I have recored several dozen arches and I know many others who frequent Bogley have also...

Natural Arch and Bridge Society
    http://www.naturalarches.org/

Very cool, excellent link too... I'll have to play around with it and see if all the arches I've run into are named.

Anyone who hikes off trail much probably knows of several arches that are not listed....

If you see one, remember....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"All roads, all codes!"