Thread: Gary Fisher Superfly 29er

Gary Fisher Superfly 29er

Looking at possibly purchasing this bike... my husband rides a 29er single speed and loves the big wheels. Anyone else have any experience with the 29ers?? What do you think?

I've been wanting a new bike and I cant justify purchasing another FS, since mine basically works just fine (although it's in need of a new front fork). I used to love my old hardtail and am told the bigger wheels soak up a ton of bounce. I'd keep the FS for certain trails Moab and other rides that call for it.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, looks nice. I hear good things about 29ers.

I've had a Fisher '08 X-caliber (same geometry as the superfly, not nearly so nice a build however) for about 6 months now. I've found the big wheels are good at soaking up "chatter"...stutter bumps, washboards, fossilized hoofprints/footprints from horses/cows/people being on the trails when wet. Rolls over stuff better too, but even though it's a smoother ride when I hit something big it still feels like a hardtail. I've found it has a lot more traction front and rear than my 26" bike, even with less aggressive tires. On steep climbs the I haven't spun out the rear tire yet, and the front end stays planted without constantly fighing to keep it from looping out. My old bike I was always trying to find a happy medium of having enough weight over the rear of the bike for traction, while having enough over the front to be able to steer. With the 29er I basically just have to concentrate on turning the pedals. Downhills are much more confidence inspiring in my experience. I think part of this is the extra traction, part the smoother "roll over" ability, and part is the extra stability that 29ers claim to have due to the gyroscopic effect of the big wheels spinning.

On the downside, I think that it takes a little more effort to accelerate the 29er vs the 26 inch bike. Or it could be perception due to the bigger wheels turning slower for a given speed over the 26" wheels. Anyway, there's no question which bike I find more fun. 29er all the way!

Hey thanks! That's excellent information!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

What a SWEEEET ride! One of the brands I sell is a Surley Karate Monkey - 29'r singlespeed....a no shock climbing animal. I have only putted around on 'em - need to get out and get one dirty really, but I think they are sweet