Thread: Narrows are open

Narrows are open

Was just on Zion Nat Park site and they have opened the narrows.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Narrows are open

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Yuppers. Still in the high 130s, so not easy and quite chilly.

Randi, Adrian and Breaker 19 went off to do Imlay today. Perhaps they will report back!!!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Yuppers. Still in the high 130s, so not easy and quite chilly.

Randi, Adrian and Breaker 19 went off to do Imlay today. Perhaps they will report back!!!

Tom
    Randi, Adrian, Breaker 19 and Steve!

We pushed our Heaps trip out a day as it looked like the weather was gonna improve, but it actually got worse as the days wore on and we eventually got rained out enough that we had to make a plan "B".

We still had a great time!

Matt and I hiked up Echo canyon on Friday and were greeted with snow flurries on the way up, and numerous snow caves and snow bridges within. It was amazing and beautiful but kinda scary too! Some of the bridges we walked on were undercut and quite high above the canyon floor. And some of the snow caves we went into, we had tons of snow sitting on top of us, dripping water on us and scaring us! It was quite exciting!

The Narrows were just barely opened when we did Mystery on Sat. Running at around 136 CFS I think. Very hard to walk without being knocked down. I guess they're closed at 140 and above.

Then on Sunday when we did Imlay, the CFS was down to 111 ~ still very hard to walk without being knocked down! Twas OK though as we floated part of the way. That was FUN!

It looked as if were were the first group of the season down both Mystery and Imlay. Imlay was choked with wood debris and most of the anchors were buried. Tippy top full and flowing in there too.

Just back on Monday and I already can't wait to get back out to Zion!

Oh yeah..this was my first time wearing a dry suit. I was funny when we all suited up, we looked like the crew from Star Trek! :)
    It was all of our first time wearing a dry suit besides Matt and once we were all suited up and in the canyon, we realized that you can't pee easily. That kinda sux about dry suits! It was so funny!!!! By the time we got to the narrows, everyone had to pee so bad! We had to hold it for hours!!!!

It was great trip with some awesome partners!
    I'll have some pictures to post soon.

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    we realized that you can't pee easily. That kinda sux about dry suits! It was so funny!!!! By the time we got to the narrows, everyone had to pee so bad! We had to hold it for hours!!!!

~Randi
    The trickle of water flowing through the canyon didn't help either. At least it wasn't warm water.

I've got a few pics too but i can't put them up until I get back home, which should be sunday.