Thread: Online topo maps

Online topo maps

I love Google maps / Google Earth but always wish it had topo maps overlayed rather than just sattellite images, well I was pointed to this over on the yahoo canyons group, it's basically google maps with the option of topo overlays etc... very cool. I've seen others but this is the first I've seen that actually fills your entire browser window.

http://mapper.acme.com/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Online topo maps

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I love Google maps / Google Earth but always wish it had topo maps overlayed rather than just sattellite images, well I was pointed to this over on the yahoo canyons group, it's basically google maps with the option of topo overlays etc... very cool. I've seen others but this is the first I've seen that actually fills your entire browser window.

http://mapper.acme.com/

For whatever reason, google earth isn't very up to date. Do you know why that is? Just curious.

My neighborhood which has been around for about 7 years now, still doesn't show up in it's current state. It still shows houses in the construction phase and that was well over 5 years ago for my phase of the neighborhood. Wierd!! But totally fun to play around with it.

That's great, thanks for posting it. I hope someday Google will build topo maps directly into Google Earth. I've got some plug-ins that do it, but not as quickly or seamlessly as the normal satellite imagery.

USA Photomaps
    Let's Roll

wish they had those choices in google earth

This USGS site integrates Google Maps with the USGS topo maps, but it is a very small viewing window and printing is difficult. Moving around and zooming works just like Google Maps, except that you have a new TOPO button in addition to MAP, SATELLITE, and HYBRID.

This tool is really geared towards finding the correct USGS topo for a given location - just click to mark a spot on the map and then click on the marker to find the available maps that you can either order or download.

http://store.usgs.gov/locator/
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Nice! I used to use topozone, until they merged with trails.com, and now you have to pay to use it.