Thread: Backpacking Pillow

Backpacking Pillow

Ok, not to whine but I have a neck problem (herniated disc x2- standing invite from a Neurosurgeon to fix'em. I have rudely note accepted the invite). What do ya'll use for a pillow when backpacking. Anyone tried the thermarest pillows? I used to not care but, well, now I do. Light weight and compact is of course good.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

usually a stuff sack of soft clothing, not packed too tightly.

favorite pillow is stuff sack with a fleece jacket.

Anyone tried the thermarest pillows?
    Yes, but once you have them it's hard to go back to stuff sacks when you have to go really light. They are pretty nice.

I have a small flannel sac that I fill with clothes or (if I have it) a down coat or jacket.

I've used those sorts of things before, but I need a big, soft, comfy pillow, or I just don't sleep well. I find that inside my Thermarest Hiking Pillow Case, even a fleece jacket compacts too hard for me (something to do with an extra thick, ultra dense head?).

Last year I found a couple of small, light travel pillows on sale cheap in a CVS pharmacy in Las Vegas. Small and light, but thick and cushy. Bought 'em. Now I stuff both of them side by each into the Thermarest case, and it's PERFECT. Combine that with my brand new Big Agnes pad, and I had my best night ever in a backpacking situation, last week. Pillow and pad - two things I'm happy to go a little heavy on for these old bones & joints.

I can't remember the brand, but I was at REI the other day and they had some nice feather backpacking pillows that would stuff down real small and weigh next to nothing. The cost wasn't cheap:

http://www.rei.com/product/766379

I hate the stuff sack as well, but am to cheap to try something else. Maybe this is the year.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

It depends on the trip. If the weather is cooler, I'll have enough clothes to make so the clothes in a stuffsack, but if I'm doing a desert trip in warm weather then my shorts & technical shirt don't cut it, so I started using a Platypus reservoir or hydration reservoir stuffed inside a stuff sack with the clothes stuffed on top of it. The weight of the water helps keep the pillow from sliding off the mattress, and adds height that won't compress much so you can keep your clothes loftier for a softer pillow. I'm a side sleeper, so I need the height to properly support my head.
    Mike

I was backpacking earlier this week, and noticed a website on the travel pillows I use. They are item number 3500 on this page: http://www.wolfmfg.com/wolfmfgstore/...onID=2&do=list
    . For $3 apiece, hard to go wrong... (By the way, cases made in China, pillows stuffed in Waco, TX. Can't win 'em all.)

I've got a small Western Mountaineering down pillow that stuffs into itself an fits into the hood of the mummy bag while sleeping. Worth every penny.

I got a Thermarest pillow and I love it. I took it backpacking with me for a week, light enough, and compact. Fluffs up real nice! :-) I, too, used to do the stuff sack/clothes thing, a down coat is the best, I think, but like someone said, once you go pillow, it's hard to go back.

Scott:
    On another note: Get more opinions on your neck. When I first herniated mine (C4/C5), the neurosurgeon I met with told me I should never ride a bike again. Ha. I still do, lots. I get regular massages, did rolfing for a year and a half (was an amazing help, but got too expensive), stretch a lot, and I've been fine. Twice (in 6 years)I've been in PT because it gets too aggravated and my arm goes numb, and once I had an injection because the PT didnt help. Whew! That might seem like a lot, but it's not really. I guess the point is: I would much prefer to avoid surgery at all costs, if I can.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I got a Thermarest pillow and I love it. I took it backpacking with me for a week, light enough, and compact. Fluffs up real nice! :-) I, too, used to do the stuff sack/clothes thing, a down coat is the best, I think, but like someone said, once you go pillow, it's hard to go back.

Scott:
    On another note: Get more opinions on your neck. When I first herniated mine (C4/C5), the neurosurgeon I met with told me I should never ride a bike again. Ha. I still do, lots. I get regular massages, did rolfing for a year and a half (was an amazing help, but got too expensive), stretch a lot, and I've been fine. Twice (in 6 years)I've been in PT because it gets too aggravated and my arm goes numb, and once I had an injection because the PT didnt help. Whew! That might seem like a lot, but it's not really. I guess the point is: I would much prefer to avoid surgery at all costs, if I can.
    Thanks for the info. I got an REI 9 buck pillow and a blow up pillow, looks like a mini thermarest pad, that I put under my air mat to raise my head up just bit. That combo worked well this weekend doing Choprock Canyon. As to the thermarest pillow, do you get used to the chunks of foam? It seemed a bit lumpy.

As for my neck, I am like you. I am avoiding the fusion at all costs. The surgery is only good for 10-12 years before you need another one. I continue to be as active as I can be. Gym, canyoneering, stretching, biking around town, yard work...etc. I too have gone to P.T. twice. I find that my bed and pillow are a big deal. I also pre-treat with ibuprofen before doing anything really strenuous like canyoneering. I have not done the professional massage thing because I am cheap. I had to look up what "Rolfing" was. Yep, that won't work if it is expensive. I have way too much gear to buy.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Thanks for the info. I got an REI 9 buck pillow and a blow up pillow, looks like a mini thermarest pad, that I put under my air mat to raise my head up just bit. That combo worked well this weekend doing Choprock Canyon. As to the thermarest pillow, do you get used to the chunks of foam? It seemed a bit lumpy.
    I have both. If I sleep on my side without a pillow it leaves my neck really sore. I also snore a little when I sleep flat on my back. My last camping partner therefore made sure I took one.

The mini thermarest pad (actually a 2" thick back rest/support) works well enough as a pillow and doubles as a sitting pad when I'm packing light. Although it is a bit lumpy and it adds another item to the list, I'd rather take the pillow. I guess that means yes, you get used to the lumps.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Scott:

As for my neck, I am like you. I am avoiding the fusion at all costs. The surgery is only good for 10-12 years before you need another one. I continue to be as active as I can be. Gym, canyoneering, stretching, biking around town, yard work...etc. I too have gone to P.T. twice. I find that my bed and pillow are a big deal. I also pre-treat with ibuprofen before doing anything really strenuous like canyoneering. I have not done the professional massage thing because I am cheap. I had to look up what "Rolfing" was. Yep, that won't work if it is expensive. I have way too much gear to buy.
    I cover my massage, and my rolfing when I was doing it with my Health Savings Account money. Now I have a Health Savings Plan I use. No out of pocket expense, very nice. A lot of insurance covers therapeutic massage as well, check it out.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I cover my massage, and my rolfing when I was doing it with my Health Savings Account money. Now I have a Health Savings Plan I use. No out of pocket expense, very nice. A lot of insurance covers therapeutic massage as well, check it out.
    All my HSA account goes to kid issues (braces, eyewear, etc.) Also, I am a partner in my firm so we pay all the insurance costs for us as well as a goodly portion for our employees. Usage means rate-ups. So I am trying not to use the insurance simply to avoid the yearly increases or rather limit the yearly rate-ups.
    Life is Good

All my HSA account goes to kid issues (braces, eyewear, etc.) Also, I am a partner in my firm so we pay all the insurance costs for us as well as a goodly portion for our employees. Usage means rate-ups. So I am trying not to use the insurance simply to avoid the yearly increases or rather limit the yearly rate-ups.
    Gotcha! :-) Well, in any case good luck with your neck, keep doin' what your doin' and keep havin' fun!

Gotcha! :-) Well, in any case good luck with your neck, keep doin' what your doin' and keep havin' fun!
    Thanks, You too. The only benefit of having this neck issue is that I truly can tell my accident clients "I feel your pain, no really, I FEEL your pain." It also helps motivate me when I am dealing with a bone headed insurance adjuster that is discounting the "non surgical herniated disc" as just a little more than whiplash. Ya right.
    Life is Good