Thread: Angels Landing

Angels Landing

I just got back from a short trip in Zion NP with my girlfriend. Our plan was to hike the Narrows, but the Virgin River was flowing at 210 cf/s so we couldn't go this time.

Instead we hiked Angel's Landing and to all three of the Emerald Pools.
    We started Angel's landing at about 9:30 a.m. and it was already warm in the sun. Luckily, much or the hike is shaded. The hike wasn't too bad as far as elevation gain, compared to my favorites in the Wasatch front, about 1500 ft over 2.5 miles. There is a series of 21 switchbacks that can take your breathe away if you aren't prepared for them. Once you reach the summit, which its self has great views, you can continue onto the peak of Angel's Landing. This last leg is the fun section. It's not as bad as I was led to believe, but it is also not for those with height issues.

After I made it to the peak and then came back to my nervous girlfriend waiting at the summit, we hiked up the West Rim Spring trail for a mile or so and then decided to head back to the trail head since it was hot around 100. Back at the Grotto shuttle stop we refilled our water, took a break, and had lunch.

After our rest we hiked to the Lower Emerald Pool from the same same trail head, and then to the middle and upper pools. They were shaded and a nice escape from the heat in the sun. After a break at the upper pool, we came back to the trail head, hopped on the shuttle to the Zion Lodge and had a nice post-hike dinner around 6:00.
    Attached Images Attached Images             

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I couldn't believe how much your pictures reminded me of my pictures from this same hike. Definitely one of my favorites! Nice post!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Good memories. Thanks for posting.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I get suckered--er--uh talked into AL more than any other. I was up there Tues. again and it still impresses. We started hiking at 8:00 to avoid the sun. Nice TR.

I believe what you call the summit, we call scouts lookout.

Great photos! Definately a fun outing. Looks like quite a few others shared the hike with you? Walters Wiggles definately look trafficky!

I am embarassed to say, but for all the times I have hiked Walters Wiggles to the Scout Lookout I have never turned right at the lookout and actually gone out to the point of Angel's Landing. Seems that Angels Landing has never been a destination, but it is always on the way to some canyon. Perhaps when the body tells me to stop Canyoneering I will head right and enjoy the view from the landing. I must say that I have hiked to the lookout (on the way to somewhere eles) at sunrise, by headlamp in the dark, and been on top of Zion at sunset. One really ought to get above Zion at all times of the day and night. The late afternoon, starry night and sunrise views are Fantastic!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I am embarassed to say, but for all the times I have hiked Walters Wiggles to the Scout Lookout I have never turned right at the lookout and actually gone out to the point of Angel's Landing.
    That is an unforgivable sin Scott... but seriously you should make the quick run out there one of these times. Drop the pack, hike to the lookout, come back, grab your pack and finish your hike to Hepas, or Imlay, or Behunin, or whatever canyon your doing that day. Worth the short detour.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I am embarassed to say, but for all the times I have hiked Walters Wiggles to the Scout Lookout I have never turned right at the lookout and actually gone out to the point of Angel's Landing.
    That is an unforgivable sin Scott...

The one though that always runs through my head when I do Angel's Landing is.... no way in hell the Park Service would allow a trail like this to be built in this day and age of lazy, overweight tourists and lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    :The one though that always runs through my head when I do Angel's Landing is.... no way in hell the Park Service would allow a trail like this to be built in this day and age of lazy, overweight tourists and lawsuits.
    I dunno. Every year they put back up the ladder and stakes on Half Dome. Ditto the fixed lines on Denali, with talk of more above 17k. Ditto the fixed rope enroute to the Lower Saddle in the Tetons. Not that there haven't been lawsuits concerning them...

How 'bout Sunset Park in Chattanooga? Steep trail maintained there too. There's even talk of banning climbing there, as hikers have a bit more clout.

There's a ton of National Parks that are historic battlefields back east, complete with bridges, old houses, etc etc.

Anyhoo...

I think I'm seeing a party of climbers in one of the pictures, though. The shot of the North Face of Angels Landing, if you look kinda in the middle of the shot, can you see a pair of climbers on what is most likely the Lowe Route?

If so, cool!

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    I dunno. Every year they put back up the ladder and stakes on Half Dome. Ditto the fixed lines on Denali, with talk of more above 17k. Ditto the fixed rope enroute to the Lower Saddle in the Tetons. Not that there haven't been lawsuits concerning them...
    Just curious.... someone once told me the Rope to the lower saddle was put up by the guides and not the NPS.... And are the fixed lines on Denali put up by the NPS....

I know when I first did canyons in Zion someone told me the bolted anchors were installed by the NPS... since then I've learned that was a crook of crap.

You know a lot more about this type stuff then I do.

The NPS did pull down the ladders on Lady Mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Great photos! Definately a fun outing. Looks like quite a few others shared the hike with you? Walters Wiggles definately look trafficky!
    We actually passed four groups of about 10 kids and 1 adult each that were all from the same youth group, so yes we were not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    I think I'm seeing a party of climbers in one of the pictures, though. The shot of the North Face of Angels Landing, if you look kinda in the middle of the shot, can you see a pair of climbers on what is most likely the Lowe Route?

If so, cool!

-Brian in SLC
    I'm not seeing them and don't know the routes, but if you point them out I can look on my original (larger) copy.

I remember doing this hike in late November one year and wishing we had crampons to deal with the ice. Part way along the top Lynn slipped, grabbed the chain, and wouldn't take another step until the rest of us all agreed to turn around.

18 months later I hiked it again with my buddy Sam who swore up one side and down the other that he hadn't inherited his father's fear of heights. He was wrong. About 100 yards from the end he froze up and I had to go back and tell him how close he really was.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Bogley BigShot
    Wonderful photos and trip report!

angels landing is so awesome!