Thread: Calling All Waterfowl Hunters

Calling All Waterfowl Hunters

I need your recipes on Duck. I'll alter out certain things I cannot have right now, I just never experimented with Duck, just chicken. I just picked up a half of breast from our local supermarket last night.

If I like it, I'll be doing what I have to do to hunt them this Fall. Thanks in advanced!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I gave up shooting ducks, as we simply could not make them tasty (at all). Every attempt at marinating, baking, grilling or pan frying resulted in a shoe leather product.

Now I stick to Turkey, Pheasant and Goose.

If you get decent recipes, please do share them here.

OK, thanks. Goose is abundant here too

Oh, and I'm fairly positive that domestic farm bred ducks taste much different than wild pond/reservoir ducks; something about the water they drink and the food they eat.

My favorite is to cut into smaller chunks, marinade overnight in soy with a pinch of Ginger (helps remove the wild taste) then wrap each piece with thick pepper bacon, skewer with a toothpick and grill them up.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    My favorite is to cut into smaller chunks, marinade overnight in soy with a pinch of Ginger (helps remove the wild taste) then wrap each piece with thick pepper bacon, skewer with a toothpick and grill them up.
    Sounds great until the Soy (salty stuff I'm sure you're talking about) & bacon. Hmmm, marinade... ideas flying.

Just did a quick search, Mrs. Dash has an entire line of marinades that has no salt This is beginning to look interesting

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Just did a quick search, Mrs. Dash has an entire line of marinades that has no salt This is beginning to look interesting
    Keep us posted, it would be great to have a healthy duck recepe or two.

I made my first goose last thanksgiving and it came out really good. Couldn't get the skin to crisp up this time though. I took a can of frozen limeade and made it up with about 2/3rds of the water. I then added the leaves from a bunch of cilantro and added about a quarter cup of honey. Blended it up and injected most of it into the bird and poured the rest over the top. I then placed slices of lime across the top and drizzled honey across it. Every hour of cooking, I re-applied the honey drizzle.

I'll post the end result when I get home tonight. I think the honey drizzle was unneccessary as the skin was inedible, but the meat turned out moist and delicious and the gravy was kick butt. Next time, I think I'll make a bigger batch of the marinade and use that instead of the honey drizzle.

Edit: Here's that pic I promised.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    Keep us posted, it would be great to have a healthy duck recepe or two.
    Will do

The best recipe we ever came up with is the "farmington bay shuffle" which is to stomp them in the mud. If someone has a recipe to make wild duck taste good, I'm ready. Have pretty much quit hunting ducks due to this problem. The fish cop isn't real pleased when you have been shooting away all day and do not bring any ducks through the checkpoint at farmington bay.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    The best recipe we ever came up with is the "farmington bay shuffle" which is to stomp them in the mud. If someone has a recipe to make wild duck taste good, I'm ready. Have pretty much quit hunting ducks due to this problem. The fish cop isn't real pleased when you have been shooting away all day and do not bring any ducks through the checkpoint at farmington bay.
    Mark
    Concur.. Those Farmington ducks taste nasty. I'm now exclusive to goose and possibly going for a swan-tag. (to mount, not to eat)

Went on a hunt tonight and bagged me some Mrs. Dash

The duck breast is bathing in the Zesty Garlic Herb right now. Tomorrow night I just have to figure out grill, broil, bake or fry...Hmmmmmm

My grandparents lived closed to the railroad in the 40s. My grandpa would go out and hunt ducks and my grandma would cook the ducks and sell the railroad workers meals. Her thing about cooking ducks was;

1. Always PLUCK the duck! Do not skin or breast
    2. Stuff it with apples and onions (sucks the swamp out)
    3. Bake the duck

I've tasted many duck recipes nothing compares yet to this.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Well, I was pressed for time this afternoon/evening and had a short time to eat this duck breast. Mrs. Dash's Zesty Garlic Herb worked pretty well marinating the breast since last night.

I just broiled it for seven minutes on each side, when I flipped it, I added the leftover Herb to it. The juices towards the end were coming out nicely, even flaring up under the heat.

I found that the duck did have a flavor all it's own and that the Herb marinade taste did make it to the end. From what all of you are saying, farm raised must taste different than being harvested in the wild.

Here's an whoops

I throw yellow squash in the microwave to eat on the run. Ye average ole Yellow Squash takes about 2 minutes and the outside is good enough to handle and the inside is nice and heated. For some reason I put it in for 2 1/2 minutes today. The poor squash never made the 2 1/2 minute mark, it exploded Food for thought

OK.....I'm gonna let all of you in on the best overall way to cook wild duck...This is how I cook every small duck I shoot. I pick every mallard I shoot but when I shoot a lil duck this is how it's done.

First you breast out the ducks...simple to do...just filet out the breast meat. Then clean it up real good making sure no blood clots or bb's are still in it. I usually soak em in water for a few hours before putting them in the marinade.

Marinade: In a bowl---I take a full bottle of Italian dressing(whatever kind you like), Lea n Perrins Worcester, fresh pressed garlic, and sugar. Experiment with amounts....I use alot of sugar to sweeten it up. Soak the duck breasts in the mix for 12-24 hours.

When they are done marinating I take two breasts and put high temp mozzeralla and a slice of sweet vidalia onion in the middle. Then I wrap them with maple bacon and toothpick em together. Grill them medium rare to medium....the rarer they are the less gamey they taste. They are absolutely delicious.

Feel free to experiment with this....I have used soy sauce and whiskey instead of worcester....lemme know what ya think.

Here is a good way to try whole ducks. I prefer mallards.

Take a picked mallard and make sure it's very clean. Cut up whatever fruits and vegetables you decide to stuff it full of and stuff it... I like apples and celery for mallards....geese I use Oranges and Kraut. Take a can of beef consume and mix it with worcester and red wine. I just add wine until the brown consume turns a redish color.cover the duck with it...pour some inside....pour the remainder of the mix in the bottom of the roasting pan. I then set the duck breast up in the roaster and season with your favorite seasonings. Then cover the breasts with bacon. All this does is helps keep the moisture in by letting the bacon fat drip down the duck skin as it cooks....MMMM. I usually roast it on low heat for a couple hours and then kick it up to higher heat for the last half hour. If done right the meat will literally fall of the bone and it won't have any gamey taste at all. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for those recipes I'll give them a try when I get my hands on duck again

This is a great recipe, especially if you drizzle a little honey over it after taking it off of the grill.

If you like gumbo, this is a good basic and easy gumbo recipe. Just substitute lightly floured and browned duck or goose instead of chicken. RECIPE LINK

Another good and simple way to prepare waterfowl is to cut breast meat into 1" chunks, soak overnight in buttermilk in refrigerator, then roll in seasoned four, bread crumbs, or corn flake, etc. and fry. Mix up a couple of good dipping sauces and you've got GOOD EATS!