Thread: Baker Canyon Question?

Baker Canyon Question?

I am considering doing Baker Canyon at the end of June. It would be with a couple of guys I have been with a few times before and a couple people who are avid climbers that want give canyoneering a try. Climb-Utah says it would be miserable in Summer. Why is that? Baker Canyon in June good idea, bad idea? Any words of advice or things I should know?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Baker Canyon Question?

Two summers ago I did Egypt 3 in July. After that I decided I would never go to Escalante in the middle of summer again.

I have heard people say you can go down to Escalante in the summertime as long as you choose slots that you can spend the entire day in. I don't know if Baker is like this or not.

well, summer can often be very very hot, water consumption can be an issue, leading to carrying lots of water. some deal well with the heat, others don't. dehydration, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, whatever--when you commit to a canyon and need to deal with obstacles these can naturally become more serious. sometimes slots offer respite, sometimes they don't.

i've had good days and bad days in the summer, depending on a number of factors. i remember one particular day in the swell about 9-10 years ago. it was about 113

Ahhh... a perfect time to try and sell my start early argument. The main issue in Summer is heat. The canyon SHOULD be wet and shady so keeping cool in the canyon is doable. The key to summer canyons is early starts. I'm talking wake up before the sun is out and start hiking at the first signs of dawn (just as you don't need a headlamp to see, somewhere around 5 A.M. 'ish in July?). This has lots of advantages. You have a long approach and cool hours of the morning make it much more bearable. You drink much less water when temps aren't out of control. It leaves a lot more "chill" time once you get back to camp, and it's safer, if something goes wrong in the canyon, the more daylight you have, the better your chances of being able to get help as quick as possible (lessens the chances of unplanned bivvy's too). Generally I get outvoted on what time we start on my canyon trips, but I'm always all for starting early ESPECIALLY in the summer, I personally am more miserable doing a three hour approach in the heat than I am getting out of my sleeping bag early in the morning.

Thanks

I was just wondering if it was only a heat issue. It seems that that is what it is so I quess I can be cool with that. Thanks.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dandyj
    I was just wondering if it was only a heat issue. It seems that that is what it is so I quess I can be cool with that. Thanks.
    For Baker, it is a 2-3 hour approach hike (to the camp), then a 3 hourish approach to the canyon, then the canyon, an hour hike back to camp, then a 3 hour exit hike. Except for the canyon itself, most of that is exposed to the full sun.

Hope you have a good headlamp!!! I recommend the Myo XP

Tom

planning on camping

I was planning on camping by the river the night before to cut down on the day's exposure to the sun. This is largely dependent on the state of the Keeper in Neon. I don't want to trek across the flats from egypt to the river and camp for only one canyon. I don't have the skill yet to navigate keepers like that and I don't want to be another article in the paper. Baby Steps .

I have actually been using the Princeton Tek Eos. Used it in Larry last weekend and was pretty happy with it.

A group of us will be down in the area in late May and will be doing everything that is Baker (east, west and middle sometimes called little). Does anyone know if there are any camp spots near Baker?

Hmm...,hadn't heard of the middle fork. I don't remember seeing a fork between the east and west forks.

You can camp virtually anywhere along the Escalante river near the mouth of Baker, or more sensible near where you get on the bench to hike to the heads of the canyons.

I think that late June can be fine. As far as time goes, if you camp by the approach hike up onto the bench the night before, you will have plenty of time; probably about a 6 hr round trip hike from there. Are you planning on east or west forks?

Nat

The "middle" Baker is actually the middle little Baker which is SE of the East and West Bakers. There's only one link I've found online about it and MK talks about them too.

Thanks for the info Nat!

As for what we're planning to do, we're going to do them all. West, East and Middle Little. We're also doing Chop, Neon, Ringtail and E2/3. We'll be down there for a while. Soooo can't wait!