Thread: Utah's best milkshakes

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Utah's best milkshakes

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9321601?source=rv

Ice cream combat: Utah's best milkshakes
    By Kathy Stephenson
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 05/20/2008 10:12:49 AM MDT

Whether they crave just plain chocolate or something a bit more complex - like banana, caramel and marshmallow - Utahns from Logan to St. George have a universal love of milkshakes.

Fortunately, there are dozens of restaurants, diners and drive-ins across the state that make these creamy concoctions a worthwhile splurge.

The Tribune asked readers to tell us where they go to get their favorite milkshake and more than 50 readers - including a class of sixth-grade students - sent in letters and e-mails letting us know the top spots.

ICE CREAM COMBAT
    In Salt Lake County, there is a definite war between Iceberg Drive Inn, 3906 S. 900 East, and Shivers, at 3063 E. 3300 South.

Iceberg, which opened in 1960, makes its own signature vanilla and chocolate ice cream and offers customers 75 different fruits, nuts, flavorings and other toppings that can be mixed in.

Starting this weekend - Memorial Day - and continuing through the summer, Iceberg will sell more than 600 shakes a day, said Kelly Christensen, Iceberg president.

While the restaurant, which has several franchise locations, sells hamburgers, fries and onion rings, too, the shakes are 50 percent of the business, said Christensen.

They can thank customers like Mick Bruner of Sandy who craves Iceberg's peanut butter and chocolate shake.

"They put so much ice cream in your cup it stands about 3 inches from the top. It literally looks like an iceberg," explained Bruner, one of 15 readers who nominated Iceberg for the top shake. "I must confess I have lost a small fortune over the years to these things. If you want to pick up an ice cream addiction, this is the place to go."

Conversely, the Edgington family opened Shivers in 1992 - switching to an independent operation after 20 years as an Article Circle. The restaurant offers more than 80 different toppings and flavorings for its shakes, said Nancy Edgington. On a hot day, the family-run operation will sell about 400 shakes.

Linda and Gilbert Capson are fans of Shivers Hawaiian shake as well as the caramel marshmallow.

"They are thick and creamy and absolutely delicious," Linda Capson wrote.

Shivers also was the favorite in Susan Fuller's 6th grade class at Upland Terrace Elementary, 3700 S. 2860 East. Eight students wrote in saying Shivers mixed up the best shakes. (Five students voted for Iceberg.)

"The greatest milkshake is made by Shivers," wrote Libbie, who likes the grasshopper shake made with mint-flavored ice cream and Oreo cookies. "There is something about it that no other restaurant can beat. When a shake is thick and creamy, you can savor its lovely luscious taste."

BEST OF THE REST
    Her classmate, Austin, prefers the chocolate banana shakes at Millie's Burgers, 2092 S. 1000 East.

"It has slices of real banana," he wrote. "When you take a bite, you feel like you're in milk shake heaven. You see swirls of chocolate and banana. Once you have one, you crave them for months at a time."

Other readers told us about great shakes in all corners of the state from Rogers Dairy Freeze in Mount Pleasant to Glades Drive Inn in Spanish Fork.

When raspberries are in season, several readers told us to head north to Garden City where the Quick N Tasty and LeBeau's both serve fabulous fresh fruit shakes. The raspberry shakes are "to die for" at Chris' Cafe in Huntsville, too.

Mike Behunin wrote to say that the best shakes in the south-central town of Ferron are homemade using the local fall peach harvest. Behunin makes his in his basement where he restored an original 1950's soda fountain. His recipe is below.

Outdoor enthusiasts like Cheri and John Ause always stop at the Moab Diner for a thick shake - chocolate for him and caramel for her - after a weekend in Red Rock country. They eat them on their way out of town for lunch.

"They are thick enough to eat with a spoon for the first little while, but become sippable by the time we get to the turnoff to Dead Horse Point," Cheri Ause wrote. "My husband, who usually drives, says they get really good by Crescent Junction. Mine don't ever last that long."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flavor faves

Here are the milkshake flavors that Tribune readers love to sip:

Iceberg Drive Inn, 3906 S. 900 East, Salt Lake City; 801-262-0652
    Banana, caramel and marshmallow, Linda Ballantyne
    Raspberry chocolate chip, Blake Kener
    Peanut butter chocolate, Doris Schmidt
    Chocolate caramel, Geri Kendrick
    Chocolate peanut butter banana, Christine Tester
    Red Raspberry pecan, Frances Savington
    Triple berry with hot fudge, Cassie Christensen

Shivers, at 3063 E. 3300 South, Salt Lake City; 801-466-9681
    Hawaiian, Linda Capson
    Mint-chocolate chip, cherry, cookie dough, caramel Oreo and grasshopper; Jillian, Devin, Heidi, Cate and Libbie, sixth-grade students at Upland Terrace Elementary

Chris' Cafe, 7345 E. 900 South, Huntsville; 801-745-3542
    Raspberry, Rachel, Upland Terrace

Faustina, 454 E. 300 South, Salt Lake City; 801-746-4441
    Chocolate, Mary Grayzel

Glades Drive Inn, 296 S. Main St., Spanish Fork; 801-798-6761
    Chocolate banana, Lindsay Wolsey

LaBeau's Drive Inn, 69 N. Bear Lake Blvd., Garden City; 435-946-8821
    Raspberry, Geraldine Anderson

Leatherby's Family Creamery, 735 W. North Temple, Salt Lake City; 801-359-2525
    Caramel with caramel nut ice cream, Bill Evans

Millie's Burgers, 2092 S. 1000 East, Salt Lake City; 801-466-6043
    Chocolate banana, Austin, Upland Terrace

Moab Diner, 189 S. Main St., Moab; 435-259-4006
    Caramel or chocolate, Cheri and John Ause

Nielsen's Frozen Custard, 3918 S. Highland Drive, Salt Lake City; 801-277-7479
    Caramel cashew, Janet Thorpe
    Cherry chocolate chip, Michele Bartmess

Quick N Tasty Drive Inn, 28 N. Bear Lake Blvd., Garden City; 435-946-2875
    Raspberry with lime, Bryan, Upland Terrace
    Oreo, Rebecca, Upland Terrace

Roger's Dairy Freeze, 1 N. State, Mount Pleasant; 435-462-2623
    The Bishop, (pineapple, strawberries, bananas and chopped nuts), Michelle Salazar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh man, I am so freaking hungry for ice cream now

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Iceberg & Shivers are great and understand the space being given to them because they are in Salt Lake Valley. But I don't understand why so little space to LaBeau's Drive Inn in Garden City, and failed to mention in Logan too.

Edit: after moving I went with my father to Iceberg and got a cookie dough. Must have changed it because there was very little cookie dough and more choclate chips. I'll get something else there next time and get my cookie dough fix from somewhere else.

The best I had was an asphalt in St Louis, not ice cream, frozen custard in a big ass waffle cone. There is a frozen custard place, or at least used to be in salt lake, somewhere between I dunno 3900 south and 4700 south maybe on highland drive. Next time in in SLC I think Ill see if its still there.

Blatantly absent from the list: Jake's Over The Top. Don't ever get anything bigger than the "mini" if you're not going to share.

Best shake/malt I've ever had: Hard Rock Cafe.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Call me crazy but I like Dairy Queen.

My favorite is raspberry shakes at Grandmas Pantry in Bear Lake. Rockgremlin and I got a taste of those from "Grandma" a couple years before the place opened. Her granddaughter was my GF until she dumped me.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    The Iceberg on 9th East is the best. It's a dive, but you can't see that in the drive through.

Yep, thanks

WHOA!!!

what about stan's burger shack in Hanksville? that's my vote.

so thick that it sticks up an inch above the rim of your cup as it's handed over the counter.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Best shake I ever had was from Frenchy's in Tin Cup, CO. Too bad my last visit there, the ice cream was frozen so hard, they said, they were unable to scoop it out. I got really pissed over that lame excuse.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Haha, sukkaz!

My wife just got a job at Iceberg in Orem. It's like 2 blocks from my house and she's always bringin' home the artery cloggers.

Love'm, although when I order peanut butter cup, I WANT PEANUT BUTTER CUP! Not peanut butter in the cup. It's not the same if it isn't all sugared up like the PB they put in the chocolate cups. I mean GEEZ! What the hell is wrong with a place that can't stock PB cups, like the rest of the planet.

Other than that, I have no gripes. The cookie dough is BOMB.

I'm with Acca on this one. Grandma's Pantry is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    WHOA!!!

so thick that it sticks up an inch above the rim of your cup as it's handed over the counter.
    Is that the one in the Chevron? If it is I'll hafta try the shakes. Beware of the burgers at whatever place is in the Chevron though. The first time I stopped there the burger was super yummy. It was so good that I made a point of going there again (and because there are a plethora of culinary options in Hanksville - NOT). I don't know what happened but my sandwich was The meat was charred boot leather, the sauce was nasty, and the bun was stale. It's kinda sad when something like that happens. Now I just plan to push on through to Ray's in Green River or Grog's in (near) Price.

Speaking of milkshakes, I like that Ray's will run down the street to get you a shake from the icecream place.

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    WHOA!!!

Is that the one in the Chevron? If it is I'll hafta try the shakes. Beware of the burgers at whatever place is in the Chevron though. The first time I stopped there the burger was super yummy. It was so good that I made a point of going there again (and because there are a plethora of culinary options in Hanksville - NOT). I don't know what happened but my sandwich was The meat was charred boot leather, the sauce was nasty, and the bun was stale. It's kinda sad when something like that happens. Now I just plan to push on through to Ray's in Green River or Grog's in (near) Price.

Speaking of milkshakes, I like that Ray's will run down the street to get you a shake from the icecream place.
    thats the place.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Groggs!

I didn't know they made shakes.

I only tried their beer shakes.

For $13, you can pick up a "growler", which is a 64oz beer bottle with a resealable clasp top. The growler is full and once it's empty, makes a great ornament in the homestead. ...until filled again.

Groggs! Carbonville Road!

Quote Originally Posted by LOAH
    Groggs!

Don't be spreading rumors now I can neither confirm or deny whether Grog's has shakes (would you like fries with that? ), but the waitresses are nice people and I leave a tip anyway. They do have yummy hot wings, delicious clam chowder, and mouth watering burgers on freshly baked buns. It's out of the way, but worth the detour (about 3 miles north of Price, north of the move drive-in on Carbonville Rd.)

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    Quote Originally Posted by LOAH
    Groggs!

Don't be spreading rumors now I can neither confirm or deny whether Grog's has shakes (would you like fries with that? ), but the waitresses are nice people and I leave a tip anyway. They do have yummy hot wings, delicious clam chowder, and mouth watering burgers on freshly baked buns. It's out of the way, but worth the detour (about 3 miles north of Price, north of the move drive-in on Carbonville Rd.)
    Is it just me, or does the little "no no" guy look like he's flipping the bird?

the place in Heber is way good to. I think it is also called Granny's, got it everytime I came home from a day of skiing at the Canyons.

Also the newer Dairy Keen is pretty good, and not as cramped as Granny's
    The man thong is wrong.

If you guys are ever down in ST George, check out Marv's. It's less than 5 miles from the Green Valley Loop bike trail and they have the best pineapple shakes ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Also the newer Dairy Keen is pretty good, and not as cramped as Granny's
    Dairy Keen not cramped?!?!?! Man, every time I've been in there it's standing room only. I was just there this past Friday with my family and the place was a zoo - as always.

I do have to side with you on your votes for Dairy Keen and Granny's. Good shakes and malts! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!
    "All roads, all codes!"