Thread: Hand Sanitizers

Hand Sanitizers

I am sure a lot of you use hand sanitizers out in the wild. KSL did a special on hand sanitizers and posted their results.

Here is the news page:
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3342419

Here are the results:
    http://media.bonnint.net/slc/497/49720/4972058.pdf

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is great information. Passing it on via email to friends and family.

I have taken Purell with me camping/backpacking and the like. Not only will it kill some germs, but also makes a good firestarter.

I never used hand sanitizers or will I ever, unless I'm handling a rotten animal corpse or something like that, heh. When I'm not handling chicken I try to use hand soap that has no antibacterial agents in it. There have been studies suggesting that use of antibacterial agents diminishes your body's ability to fight off germs on its own. I think there's a lot of truth to that.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    I never used hand sanitizers or will I ever, unless I'm handling a rotten animal corpse or something like that, heh. When I'm not handling chicken I try to use hand soap that has no antibacterial agents in it. There have been studies suggesting that use of antibacterial agents diminishes your body's ability to fight off germs on its own. I think there's a lot of truth to that.

Agree! Our bodies need to build up antibodies NATURALLY.....I don't use any either. Our pediatricians have recently recommended laying off the hand sanitizers for kiddos b/c of this theory. Good old fashioned soap and water is the way to go!! But I have alot of friends and family members that still carry a bottle everywhere they go. I do think they are a good idea if you are going somewhere foreign where the germs there are much different than what our bodies are used to.

I use Purell when I worked. Never know what you're touching and who touched it last

Quote Originally Posted by abirken

Agree! Our bodies need to build up antibodies NATURALLY.....I don't use any either. Our pediatricians have recently recommended laying off the hand sanitizers for kiddos b/c of this theory. Good old fashioned soap and water is the way to go!! But I have alot of friends and family members that still carry a bottle everywhere they go. I do think they are a good idea if you are going somewhere foreign where the germs there are much different than what our bodies are used to.
    If I see a doctor walk into the room and not wash hands/use hand sanitizer, I will remind them to do so. I careless for all the crap their hands were before me.

If you guys read the article, you'd see that they said the hand sanitizers are not soap/water replacement, it's a good addition to the old washing hands technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken

If I see a doctor walk into the room and not wash hands/use hand sanitizer, I will remind them to do so. I careless for all the crap their hands were before me.

If you guys read the article, you'd see that they said the hand sanitizers are not soap/water replacement, it's a good addition to the old washing hands technique.
    I know, Alex. They're a good alternative when there's no water around. I guess I kind of got off track from the theme of the article. In any case, I stand by my decision to avoid germ killing soaps, heh. I use lysol on everything else. It's like strawberries, they taste best freshly picked covered in dirt ;-)
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Hand sanitizers are very bad for your immune system, and their marketing plays right into the fears of a gullible public. I listened to an interview a few years ago with an epidemiologist regarding the reemergence of diseases thought long dead. At the end of the piece, he interrupted the host and said he'd like to say that the proliferation of antibacterial soaps and sanitizers is setting us up for deadly consequences. He felt, in fact, they should be banned from the market.

Point: My brother and his wife are a bit paranoid about germs, and obsessively use Purell. They are sick ALL the time.

Wanna get really healthy? Go to an interstate highway rest area twice a year and lick the door handle... or just teach kindergarten.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    Wanna get really healthy? Go to an interstate highway rest area twice a year and lick the door handle... or just teach kindergarten.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    Hand sanitizers are very bad for your immune system, and their marketing plays right into the fears of a gullible public. I listened to an interview a few years ago with an epidemiologist regarding the reemergence of diseases thought long dead. At the end of the piece, he interrupted the host and said he'd like to say that the proliferation of antibacterial soaps and sanitizers is setting us up for deadly consequences. He felt, in fact, they should be banned from the market.

Point: My brother and his wife are a bit paranoid about germs, and obsessively use Purell. They are sick ALL the time.

Fully agree 100% Rev. What do you think happened with over use of antibiotics in the last century? Same shite. Our bodies no longer know how to fend of infection b/c of over-use. Now we have antibiotic resistant diseases. We have become so freakin' paranoid and slaves to marketing ploys.......I ain't having it. UGH! Can we just all stop being so damn homogenized and learn to think for ourselves? Ok I will now step down off my pedestal.