Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TR: Dolores River

TR: Dolores River

Day 1: After a 6 hour drive we pulled in to Bradfield Bridge camp site by Cohone, Colorado. The site was practically empty at 4pm on Thursday. The weather was in the low 60 and overcast with minor rain. We picked one of the best camp sites for the night in the woods with a shore access to launch our boats. The rest of the crew arrived late that night.

We built our boats and had teryaki chicken with rice for dinner with all kinds of beers Went to bed around 11ish.

Day 2: Had to run the shuttle to Slick Rock (took around 90 mins round trip). The weather was awesome, in the low 70s, sunny. Messed around the camp site and packed the boats. The campground and the ramp was a mob! Lucky for us, we had shore access and our private launch site. Our group consisted of 10 people and 5 boats.

We launched around noon, went to mile 17 or so, hit some minor rapids, but mostly flat water. It was fairly windy and cold at times.

We pulled in to an empty site, setup kitchen, groover and tents. The spirits were high for the day ahead (The Big Snagletooth!). We cooked salmon burgers with potato salad for the night...yummy!

Day 3: Everyone launched at 9ish with full excitement for what's to come. Two hours later and a couple of run ins with the sleepers (rocks under water, but harmful to boats) we made it to the big one. Everyone pulled over to the left bank and went to scout the Snagletooth. The river rose up to around 2200 cfs over night and the rapid was raging! There were a bunch of other people at the rapid scouting, talking, proclaiming the runs to take.

<personal_revelation>
    Finally, everyone got quite in the anticipation of the first boat to come. The guy ran the line perfectly and eased everyone's worry. Soon after a couple of more boats followed with only a single incident (Driver was thrown out and his boat with his wife got surfed behind Snagltooth).

I came to this river about 12 years ago, for the first time rafting in my life. I remember horrible incident we had on Snagltooth, so I had an old score to settle with the rapid. My heart was pounding and I put on the wet suit so my underwear wouldn't get wet from me wetting myself . I rewatched the line about 10 times from the rock on the shore and finally got enough nerve to get into the boat and push off.

As I was coming up to the rapid and the point of no return, the Snagletooth raved and laughed at me. I knew I was in it for good. Finally, I see the marker rock, I am coming in good, I see the second marker rock, still good, then I see the roost of the wave and I know I am not making the path I picked and I am hitting the hole! I braced for the punch and pushed forward. My passenger drops down from my view, I see a big wave come up and then I see my passenger rise in front of me again. I am still going STRAIGHT!

The wave hasn't pushed me hard enough and I pulled with my left oar to keep my nose down.... just as I realize my oar is out of the oar lock. Doh! I pop the oar back in just as I am nearing the Snagletooth rock! I pull on the left oar again, just in time to swing left of the Snagle and drop into another hole. The rock behind Snagletooth bumps me, I turn around, but now I am yelling with joy of still being alive.

</personal_revelation>

After we pulled over, we watched about 10 more boats go down. One of our guys had a little problem with Snagletooth and surfing the Snagletooth hole, but nothing he couldn't handle. Life was good!

After eating a short lunch, we pushed off past the Wall (a tricky spot to maneuver) and headed down towards Three Mile Rapid. This rapid doesn't have big waves, but it's quite technical due to huge boulders in the middle of the river and sharp turns. Of course I took the wrong turn a couple of times and had to bounce off rocks to keep going.

That night we pulled in to camp around mile 37, great looking spot. Had some yummy beer brats and beans for dinner, lots of beers and camp fire stories. Life was good... again! We stayed up until about midnight, telling rafting stories, getting to know each other and having a great time.

Day 4: My passengers and I got up early that morning, we were on the mission to get home now. Our trip was coming to the end, but the rest of our group were going down to Bedrock take out. We hailed our good byes to our new river friends and pushed off at 7:30am. By 9am we pulled in to Slick Rock take out and 6 hours later we were back home.

I don't know what it is about the river, but as soon as I get home, I want to be right back on the water. Thank the river gods, it's only a matter of a week and a half before I will be launching once again

Sorry for the long confession there
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool TR, Alex. Maybe one day I get to tag along with you guys. I don't have rafting experience but I love water, heh.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I never had canyoneering or rafting experience, but I was sick of seeing my life passing by. Just got to do it man, you learn as you go!

Bogley BigShot
    Looks Fun!

Wow, that is cool. I grew up between Dove Creek and Cahone but never floated the Dolores. Thanks for sharing.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Wow, that is cool. I grew up between Dove Creek and Cahone but never floated the Dolores. Thanks for sharing.
    Really? I drove through there a couple of times doing the shuttle and getting gas.

OH MY GOODNESS! My heart was racing while reading your words. I know that feeling right before you hit the big stuff. SCAREY!!!! But this looks like so much fun! Shame it only happens to run this big for only a small window of the year. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

What a great TR! Almost felt like I was there with you. Nice photo sequence! I really look forward to the next TR!!!!

Bogley BigShot

Re: TR: Dolores River

Quote Originally Posted by Alex

I don't know what it is about the river, but as soon as I get home, I want to be right back on the water. Thank the river gods, it's only a matter of a week and a half before I will be launching once again

Sorry for the long confession there

Sorry you love the river?

I would love to be out there too! I just keep getting pulled in other directions.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Not everyone cares about personal revelations....

vid...

Sorry alex, I'll put those titles on tomorrow. I thought I'd stop the waiting for now though.

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by Alex

Not everyone cares about personal revelations....

Who cares about them. I love your personal revelations!

Fun Video! We need more face closeups though!

Bogley BigShot
    Exactly!

Ask and you shall receive!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Afraid of death? I am more afraid of going through life without ever really living...

Bogley BigShot
    Oh yeah! Make sure you always take Adam along!

That's actually me on the groover

Bogley BigShot

Have you seen the calendar of grovers from shots taken in the Grand Canyon. It's so funny or the book, a "uproarious collection of "fecal misadventures" from a veteran river-rafting guide and yarn-spinner extraordinaire."

Hey Alex, hope you don't mind me posting these photos up as well from your trip.

Edit: Photos removed by request via photographer, Adam. Originally I thought Alex had taken them.

Oh yeah! Make sure you always take Adam along!
    This is the most important line in this entire thread ^
    Afraid of death? I am more afraid of going through life without ever really living...