Thread: Presta Valve issue (inflating problems)

Presta Valve issue (inflating problems)

For some reason it is extremely difficult for me to pump up my tires with the presta valves. The air will not go in unless I push the pump so that it's at a slight angle to the actual valve. This damages the valve though (bends it) but has been the only way to get the air to go in at all. So what's the trick....I'm obviously misisng something obvious. But no matter how far onto the valve stem (or not far) I attach the pump the air will not go in unless it's at an odd angle that bends the valve "pin" or whatever it is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I know it can't be this simple, but are you using an adapter (little brass thingy in your presta stem) for a schrader pump? Have you tried other pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett
    I know it can't be this simple, but are you using an adapter (little brass thingy in your presta stem) for a schrader pump? Have you tried other pumps?

I only have one pump, it's for presta or schrader and requires no fittings. It (supposedly) can pump either type without adjustments. It was $25 so it wasn't some random $10 walmart one. It's nice enough, and recommended by the bike shop dude to get the job done (my bike has presta, wife has schrader).

Haven't tried other pumps, only have the one.

Can I assume you unscrew the top of the Presta slightly before connecting the pump?

Most $25+ combo pumps I've used push down on to the Presta and then you must pull up a locking mechanism that then pushes down the pin so that air can enter through the valve. Does yours work like this, too?

What kind of pump is it? Make and model, please.
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skianddive
    Can I assume you unscrew the top of the Presta slightly before connecting the pump?

Most $25+ combo pumps I've used push down on to the Presta and then you must pull up a locking mechanism that then pushes down the pin so that air can enter through the valve. Does yours work like this, too?

What kind of pump is it? Make and model, please.
    Yes on all counts....Wrench Force Micro
    http://leescyclery.com/itemdetails.c...ogId=1&id=5769

You prolly tried this but my presta valves always need a little push (letting a bit of air out) to get them unstuck before I can put the pump on to top them off. Maybe when you tilt your pump you are moving it enough to free up the valve.
    I'm not in Utah, but I like Utah, really..

Ditto what Teleken said. I unscew the valve then push the pin in for a split second before pumping up. If I don't I can't get air in either.
    Are we there yet?

Re: Presta Valve issue (inflating problems)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    For some reason it is extremely difficult for me to pump up my tires with the presta valves. The air will not go in unless I push the pump so that it's at a slight angle to the actual valve.
    After you gave me the make and model of your pump, and I saw that it was similiar to the mini one that is on my bike for those tire emergencies, I used it to pump up my tires (don't usually use it a lot). But I did notice that the attachment on the pump that is pushed on to the Presta is skewed at about 15 degrees from being perpendicular.

So if the valve is at the 12 o'clock position on the tire, the pump housing will actually be pointing towards the ground. If the housing was perpendicular to the Presta valve, I can see where I could bend it when pumping. But with the housing skewed like it is, I am actually pumping up towards the valve and not pushing on it.

Does this describe how yours works?
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone! Looks like the trick to let a touch of air out to open it up did the trick. Gotta love forums. I tried ten zillion different things and it turns out it was super simple thing I just hadn't though of.

Bogley to the rescue!

Or you could drill those rims out and use schrader valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone! Looks like the trick to let a touch of air out to open it up did the trick. Gotta love forums. I tried ten zillion different things and it turns out it was super simple thing I just hadn't though of.

Bogley to the rescue!

Excellent!! Glad it worked I hate giving bad advice.
    I'm not in Utah, but I like Utah, really..

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Or you could drill those rims out and use schrader valves.
    Blasphemy!
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Glad to see it worked. Usually that does the trick. If the problem is the mini pump the other thing that Iv'e done is drip one dot of a DRY, and I emphasize DRY, lubricant onto the inner plunger thingy and slide it back into the pump head...works well for those pumps that never seem to leave your bike frame. Spit works too