Thread: Copy quotes into posts

Copy quotes into posts

This I am sure is simple to do, but when creating a post how do you copy in text from some one elses post. When you see example, somebeech said and then his post how is this done? I have played around alittle with copying but this is not how it's done. It probably has something to do with the quote button.
    Thanks
    Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Copy quotes into posts

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    This I am sure is simple to do, but when creating a post how do you copy in text from some one elses post. When you see example, somebeech said and then his post how is this done? I have played around alittle with copying but this is not how it's done. It probably has something to do with the quote button.
    Thanks
    Mark
    It may be simple, but it is not intuitively obvious. And you're right - it has everything to do with the QUOTE button.

When I clicked on the QUOTE button for your message, a dialog box popped up with your text surrounded by "
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark"
    " and "
    ". These are delimeters that tell the Bogley software to enclose your text in an indented box and highlight your name above the box.

I then started typing my reply directly underneath your quoted message.

In addition, I always click on PREVIEW to ensure that the message is displayed the way I want it to look.

Does this help?
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

The Quote button is above the post and on the right side of the screen
    see picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes and no. When I move down to look at your post i am not seeing a quote button? I see the quote button at the top of my reply but how do i tie it to your post?
    Mark

Ok now i know where the problem is, my screen layout or font size or something does not let me scan over far enough to see the quote button!!! Now I will work on figuring out why. I new this had to be easy.
    Mark

Ok now i know where the problem is, my screen layout or font size or something does not let me scan over far enough to see the quote button!!! Now I will work on figuring out why. I new this had to be easy.
    Mark
    Allright figured that out. Now how do you pull in more than one quote?
    Thanks
    Mark

Allright figured that out. Now how do you pull in more than one quote?
    Good job.

To answer your second question, you could pull in more than one quote in one of two ways:

1. Click on the QUOTE button in the posts you want to quote and cut&paste the contents to an editor like Word or Notepad.

You can use CTRL-A to select all of the contents in the dialog box, CTRL-C will copy the contents from the dialog box, and CTRL-V will paste the contents of the dialog box into your Editor. CTRL-Z will reverse what you just did if you mess up.

When done composing your message in your Editor, do the CTRL-A, C, V keystrokes to copy your message back to your Bogley message.

2. If you don't want to use an Editor, you could also have two Bogley windows open at the same time (or two Bogley tabs if you are using Firefox or Internet Explorer 7.0) and use the CTRL-A, C, V sequence to copy from one browser session to the other.

The important thing to remember is to have the delimeters surrounding the quoted text, that is, "[*quote="<user>"]" at the beginning and "[/quote]" at the end.

[NOTE: I put a "*" in front of "quote" so the software wouldn't quote it.]

And you can also build your own quoted text if you really want to mess with someone:

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Tanya drives me wild!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Sorry, Ice, my heart belongs to skianddive.

- Mark Twain

Thanks
    Mark

It's probably your screen resolution that is preventing the quote button, or anything on the far right of the screen to be viewed without scrolling.

You may be at 800 X 600? 1024 X 768 is probably the best "all around" resolution for any kind of program. Other geeks prefer it even higher, like myself.

Ok new problem, how do you resize a pic small enough to be a avatar?
    Mark

Ok new problem, how do you resize a pic small enough to be a avatar?
    Mark
    try MS Paint, or any image editing software. Pick a photo, and you'll probably just want a certain part of that photo if you're going to use it as an avatar.

Avatars must be no larger than 100 X 100 pixels, and 49 kb.

If you're having trouble, upload your photo here, and we can edit it for you.

How do you resize a pic small enough to be a avatar?
    If you're looking for an easy-to-use and free picture editor, I recommend IrfanView. It is extremely easy to resize a picture or a part of the picture to the 100 x 100 pixel size required for avatars. I even use it as my default picture viewer.

http://www.irfanview.com/

- Mark Twain