Thread: Camping areas near Burr Trail/Boulder Mnts?

Camping areas near Burr Trail/Boulder Mnts?

Looking to take the family down to the Burr trail for Memorial weekend. Any suggestions on camping locations in the area. Looking for a spot where we can setup our trailers as base camp. Prefer non-improved areas.

Appreciate any help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

its been years but i remember camping at a place near the muley twist area at the top of the burr trail. dont know if its even still there.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I was just down there. There are several areas where one can just pull of the road and camp. We went down one road to a place called the "Lamp Stand" that looked like it could be dispersed camping. The Muley Twist area had several people camping there in a dispersed area. There are some campgrounds in Capital Reef on the Bullfrog road that aren't too far away.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Camping near Muley Twist Canyon is in the National Park and highly illegal unless you walk at least 0.5 miles from the road and have a permit. Although some people get away with it, if you're out there with a trailer you have a good chance of getting caught and fined.

Besides, there is no reason to camp illegally when there are so many good campsites only a few miles away.

Typically, the best campsites are west of the National Park and near the the road crosses streams, but in late May it's almost better to camp away from teh water at time because of horse flies. The Deer Creek Campground is really nice (if not full because of the holiday) and is right on the Burr Trail. There are plenty of other campsites spread out all over the place in the area.

Thank you for the info! We are probably going to camp closer to the Boulders and take day trips going east on the Burr trail. Whole family unit is going, so we don't want to drag the trailers too far on rough roads.

Camping near Muley Twist Canyon is in the National Park and highly illegal unless you walk at least 0.5 miles from the road and have a permit. Although some people get away with it, if you're out there with a trailer you have a good chance of getting caught and fined.
    Thanks for the heads up. I never thought of that as there were at least 4 RVs in the area near the Northern part of the canyon off the road. I probably would have never have thought and done the same thing later on.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.