Thread: The Hourglass & The Right Fork...

The Hourglass & The Right Fork...

TR here:

http://www.backcountry-explorer.com/

Scroll down just a touch, or click on the Zion National Park link on the right side.

From a 3-day trip down the Right Fork that Randi, DB and I took this weekend. Great stuff!

By the way, anyone know of prior ascents of Peak 7,204? It's the peak behind Greatheart Mesa and above the upper Right Fork. It looked "wild."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Very nice report! Asleep by 9pm you guys must have been tired. That sounded like a hard trip and from your report it was. Good job on another peak. One day I will get to do that whole right fork.

I'd happily go back to do it again...cuz I have another peak in mind!

The 9 PM sleep time was late, I thought. DB and I are usually in bed by 8, if you can believe it. We're a little wimpy like that.

Granted we moved at a fairly casual pace, but we were glad to take the full 3 days. Two days for our itinerary would have been frantic. 'Course, now that we have the route down...

Bogley BigShot
    I was thinking without the peak. That is the killer part, but I could hang out with DB.

Bed by 8? Sounds like a good relationship

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I was thinking without the peak.
    Now you are talking my type of trip.

Bogley BigShot

Re: The Hourglass & The Right Fork...

Quote Originally Posted by cp0915
    TR here:

Scroll down just a touch, or click on the Zion National Park link on the right side.

From a 3-day trip down the Right Fork that Randi, DB and I took this weekend. Great stuff!

By the way, anyone know of prior ascents of Peak 7,204? It's the peak behind Greatheart Mesa and above the upper Right Fork. It looked "wild."
    Great name for the Peak Courtney! And very nice write up.
    I had such a wonderful time too. You and DB are wonderful, and I can't tell you how thrilled I was with every aspect of that trip (well, except for that darn shoe, and that darn heavy pack). The rest of it was sublime.
    Got some great photos too that I'll post soon.

And Tanya, I sure was TIRED every time we got to our bivy spots.
    12 hours of non-stop action the first day had me whipped. 10 hours the next, had me even more whipped than the first day!
    And the slog out was a slow meandering...kinda bummed to leave the area and river walk of about 7 hours or so....It was very zen however and the life in and around the river course was abundant and mesmerizing.

I'm impressed with DB's endurance too, considering this was her first backpack for the most part ~ that girl
    Please pass this along to DB since I know she doesn't do the web thang ~ she takes great pictures and has an awesome smile!

Can't wait to hang out with ya'll again.
    Let's do Church Mesa for real next time!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Wow, that sounds like a great trip!!!
    Excellent write up and pictures.

Gary

Thank you all for the kind remarks. It was indeed a wonderful trip.

Randi, I'll pass along your compliments to DB. She'll particularly like the "rockstar" emoticon thing.

Re: The Hourglass & The Right Fork...

TR here:

Got my photos (and one of CP's that I stole) uploaded here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrin...rkOfNorthCreek

Enjoy!

Wow, Randi! Those are terrific photos. Really, you are an amazing photographer! They did an amazing job of capturing the beauty of our trip!

Wow, Randi! Those are terrific photos. Really, you are an amazing photographer! They did an amazing job of capturing the beauty of our trip!
    Thanks CP. The trick is to take TONS of pix and throw a bunch out.
    I'm not a great photographer! I have gotten better (more detail oriented) since hanging out with Mr. Moon. I remember the first hike I went on with him, he was getting into the tiniest details of these little flowers and I'm like "wow! I never even would've noticed that if he hadn't pointed it out".

I think I pay attention to more of the details now ~ still have a probem paying attention to the route however.......

Thanks for leading DB & I through the wonderland of pure beauty!
    I couldn't have done it without you, that's for sure.

You're welcome, but a team effort nonetheless! Fun times!

Courtney, obviously you haven't heard Randi's stories of getting lost... you don't understand... she really couldn't have done it without you . Sorry Randi, do I even know you well enough to tease you like this? Everyone else does so why not right?

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Courtney, obviously you haven't heard Randi's stories of getting lost... you don't understand... she really couldn't have done it without you . Sorry Randi, do I even know you well enough to tease you like this? Everyone else does so why not right?
    Well, she told me she had some issues with route-finding, but I didn't believe it. Hmmm. Sounds like this "problem" is pretty widespread and well-known!

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Well, she told me she had some issues with route-finding, but I didn't believe it. Hmmm. Sounds like this "problem" is pretty widespread and well-known!
    It's OK to tease me Shaggy...my navigational ineptitude is no secret.
    And I know you're not teasing me in a malicious sort of way....

In my defense however, I do KNOW how to read a map (sort of), and I'm not that terrible at some routefinding (usually the immediate kind such as navigation through a boulder field or other stuff like that).

My main problem seems to be zoning out into this dreamlike state of semi-conciousness while I'm hiking (and driving). I get so lost in the moment I forget to pay attention to the BIGGER picture! There's music playing in my head (or the radio if I'm driving), and poetry in the making going on, and lots and lots of thinking bout stuff....it distracts me along with getting lost in the beauty I find myself immersed in.

But, I'm making an effort to get better at not getting lost!

I made it up and over Cable Mountain by myself not too long ago (and much of the trail was obliterated by snow and mud). Course, I picked that route cuz it's hard to get lost (signed, trails, etc.) But I did have to pay better attention, as I'm usually spoiled by hanging out with folks who are GOOD at routefinding!

Funny too, cuz DB and I were talking bout what we'd do if Courtney got hurt. Niether one if us knew how to find out way out of there. We decided in our "what if scenerio" that DB would stay with Courtney while I went for help. Can you imagine????? Me neither!!!!

All the pictures are wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing.