Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lady Mountain in Full Bloom!

Lady Mountain in Full Bloom!

Tanya, Jeff, Sheri and I went back to the awesome Lady Mountain yesterday and were awed by the wildflowers!
    Heres a belated Mothers Day wish from the Desert!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It was an awesome day in Zion. We nuzzled up to yours and Tanya's cars and went and did Hidden Canyon and then the Riverwalk. Yo actually did really well on the edgy stuff, we still might have her rappelling.

Look forward to your TR.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Bogley BigShot
    I saved Yo a place at the Noobfest just in case she wants to try. If she is not going let me know so I can open that spot.

It was great weather and the flowers were gorgeous!

A few photos that Bo and I took on the Lady Mountain hike.

Bogley BigShot

Bogley BigShot

Bogley BigShot

Bogley BigShot

Bogley BigShot

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very nice

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Look forward to your TR.

Win
    Oh yeah.. the TR part. I got lost in photos.

So the very first hard hike I ever did was Lady Mountain and I did it with Bo about 4-5 years ago. After that we started to hike together just about every weekend.

My photos back then were small and really poor resolution so we have been redoing any of the albums that were done way back then, and Lady Mountain was on that list. Bo invited a couple of his friends, actually I think Sheri was more like one of his fans. She was so excited to get to hike with Bo, she would say it over and over again. Bo is somewhat of a celebrity in the St. George area because of the magazine article we write each month and other articles that have been wrote about him. Jeff Bell we knew from our Grand Canyon rafting trip.

This is Jeff in the back of Tommy's boat in Lava Falls.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...r-zzgg_jpg.jpg

So we all head up to the trailhead to find that the once hard to impossible trail was now a well beaten path, or actually 2 paths. We checked out the alternate one on the way up and took the usual one on the way back just to see which was better. The alternate one was better, but the other one gets more use so that is the one we decided to write up.

We scramble up the hillside until we get to the first obstacle. Everyone climbed it with no trouble. Much different than my first trip with Bo! It's sort of like my first time in Red Cave with Shane. That was so awful! The guys were wonderful but getting me over those obstacles was horrible! Now I do them by myself with no problem! That feels great! That was almost the case with Lady Mountain until......

We got to the top obstacle. I should have watched Bo get up that and notice he had to get his rear into the crack. Well I had on this hip hugger water pack and had not paid attention. The rock was so slick unless you get in the crack but with that rear pack on that was my only option. At least I provided comical relief for the group. Sheri learned well and sent her pack up the rope before trying to get up it, but she struggled too. On the return trip Bo decided he wanted some more laughs so he tells us all to do the dulfersitz. I did that on my first time down it with Bo and I swear it did not hurt then! It hurt like heck this time. I said forget this half way down and just handlined it. The others in the group tried to dulfersitz and tuffed it out be they were not smiling.

We all get to the top and are reminded why this is one of the best that Zion has to offer. What an incredible hike and view from the top. We check out the sites, have lunch and head back down. Bo really got into photo taking on this trip, but I think I was in every shot. ~smooch~

We were near the bottom and wildflowers were in bloom everywhere and we were snapping away. I could not have asked for a better day to hike this. Flowers in bloom, a good group of hikers, hardly a drop of sun all day and yet it was warm all but the first 30 minutes of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    On the return trip Bo decided he wanted some more laughs so he tells us all to do the dulfersitz. I did that on my first time down it with Bo and I swear it did not hurt then! It hurt like heck this time. I said forget this half way down and just handlined it.
    Ummmm, if I may be so bold, but where did it hurt? I see several possible friction points in that caricature.
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Bogley BigShot
    It hurt in ALL of them.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Very nice
    Have you ever done this one Kurt? If not you should put it on your to do list! It's fun and gorgeous too.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Every time I'm at the lodge I just stare up at the "lady" and try to imagine the trail(or lack of) Yep--on my list but I've been venturing outside of Zion for the last month and now I have lots of lists.
    I've been doing 2-3 canyons a week for the last month. Several around our side of the mountain that I believe have not been done before including my class c that started with a 10' waterfall, after that it petered out into several slides and swims but not enough tech to bring me back soon.(still more potential in the lower section though) I thought I could see a slot from up high.
    I also found a good canyon that slots up nicely, on the map it showed 300' of elevation loss. We carried 300' of rope through and never pulled it out. There were about 10 great downclimbs, when we hit the bottom we turned around and upclimbed them all back to the truck.
    Sorry for the whats Kurt been doing hi-jack

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Every time I'm at the lodge I just stare up at the "lady" and try to imagine the trail(or lack of) Yep--on my list but I've been venturing outside of Zion for the last month and now I have lots of lists.
    I've been doing 2-3 canyons a week for the last month. Several around our side of the mountain that I believe have not been done before including my class c that started with a 10' waterfall, after that it petered out into several slides and swims but not enough tech to bring me back soon.(still more potential in the lower section though) I thought I could see a slot from up high.
    I also found a good canyon that slots up nicely, on the map it showed 300' of elevation loss. We carried 300' of rope through and never pulled it out. There were about 10 great downclimbs, when we hit the bottom we turned around and upclimbed them all back to the truck.
    Sorry for the whats Kurt been doing hi-jack
    Have you seen the Lady on Lady Mountain!?!?!? I have not seen her! Right now is perfect.. it's still cool mostly up there and the wildflowers are gorgeous.

Hi jack all you like, but do give us more details on these canyons!

Tanya, You guys are so cool~~
    wanna explore Utah with people who also like outdoors...

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks Globy

Sitting here in FL, watching the rain (first in many weeks, may help dampen wildfires), I really enjoy good trail reports. Thanks.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Bogley BigShot

Thanks

It is about that season -- wildfire season. So far I don't think we have had any around here.

My fingers are crossed for it to stay that way!

Bogley BigShot
    I am finally getting around to getting the Lady Mountain photos done... looking at Bo's shots now. This one looks like I am relaxed. Lunch.. shoes off.. but dang it's pretty all around me! The other shot on the trail amazes me with all the greenery on that desolate mountainside.