Thread: Russel gulch subway

Russel gulch subway

Heading to Zion first week in June. Going to be doing subway and orderville with about 5 scouts and 3 adults. These scouts and dads have done both lomatium and Krill in moab so they have some experience along with multiple other rappelling activities. My question is should we do russell gulch when doing the subway, and when doing orderville should we do birch hollow? We have taken our scouts through both orderville and subway multiple times without cold water protection so they will not have any on these trips. There tough. How much swimming is there in Russel's Gulch?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Russel gulch subway

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Heading to Zion first week in June. Going to be doing subway and orderville with about 5 scouts and 3 adults. These scouts and dads have done both lomatium and Krill in moab so they have some experience along with multiple other rappelling activities. My question is should we do russell gulch when doing the subway, and when doing orderville should we do birch hollow? We have taken our scouts through both orderville and subway multiple times without cold water protection so they will not have any on these trips. There tough. How much swimming is there in Russel's Gulch?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mark
    Jeesh Mark, don't you read THE BOOK???

3 raps to 100' in Russell Gulch, with wading to waist deep. Awkward starts on the raps.

The problem with doing Birch is it uses up a lot of time, unless your group is efficient and you have more than one rap setter. I suggest bringing 4 ropes in the 100 foot range, so you can set 3 raps at the same time and move along pretty good.

Tom

my book is in my jeep trailer in moab. Or I would of read it. My Bad. Bringing trailer home next week.