Thread: Canyon suggestions

Canyon suggestions

My wife, daughter and boyfriend, and I need some suggestions. We are wondering what is a good next "step-up" canyon for us. We are planning on heading wome wher on 5/16 - 18, but haven't picked an area as of yet.
    Some canyons that we have done:
    Baptist draw
    Ding & Dang
    Main Blue John
    White Roost
    E Lep
    High Spur

My thoughts:
    Quandry/Ramp (non direct)
    Hogs
    Maiden water, maybe the south after reading French_de's report.
    Great report by the way, loved it and the picts were awesome
    Alcatraz
    Larry
    Dragonfly
    ????

Thanks in advace
    Gary

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Canyon suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Caddis
    My wife, daughter and boyfriend,
    I assume that is your daughters' boyfriend you are referring to? (Just messin with you. Ya gotta watch them possessives!)

I would suggest Larry. That is a fun canyon and is a good step up from what you have done from what I can tell. I have done Larry many times and I still like it for what it has to offer. Short approach, long canyon with a bunch of down climbs, a few raps, slanted hallways, dark drops....etc., a bit of a slog but the exit crack is fun but after that is not. Thankfully, it is not too far to the top from the top of the exit crack.
    Life is Good

From your list:

I would suggest a little more experiance before hitting the Hogs and Alcatraz.

You should not have a problem in Larry, Dragonfly or Maidenwater.

You could do the Quandary By-Pass, But I'd hold off until you can do the direct, a few more canyons under your belt and that should not be a problem.

More canyons that are awesome and in-line with what you have already done:

Arscenic
    Blarney -West Fork
    Burro Wash
    Cheesebox
    Medieval Chamber
    Robbers Roost - North Fork
    And just about any of the trade routes in Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    And just about any of the trade routes in Zion.

I would just skip Zion... nothing to see there except a lot of sand and rocks and hairy european tourists. (Darn you Shane. Permits are limited lest we forget!)
    Life is Good

Thanks guys, that helps a bunch.

Scott, how fast can you run a 40? I need to know if I have a chance at beating you to the the BC desk. J/K

Scott, how fast can you run a 40? I need to know if I have a chance at beating you to the the BC desk. J/K
    Really, Really fast with a pinch runner.
    Life is Good

Obviously you haven't heard of the "super scouts." Lets just say you have no chance Caddis Scott will be at camp making a dutch oven breakfast and the super scouts will be back with the permits in hand before he can dish up their plates.

Other suggestions from me would be:

Not Mind Bender
    Down Egypt 2 up Egypt 3 (or just down both of them)
    West Lep
    Yankee Doodle

These and Shane's suggestions are all fun and will keep you entertained for sure. Sounds like you are doing things the right way... My first canyon was Keyhole, then Spry, Pine Creek, Echo and BAM, Choprock and Neon. Imlay and Heaps were not far behind... not the recommended way to do it, your life expectancy as a noob is probably much higher than mine was/is.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125

Obviously you haven't heard of the "super scouts." Lets just say you have no chance Caddis Scott will be at camp making a dutch oven breakfast and the super scouts will be back with the permits in hand before he can dish up their plates.
    Dang, all my secrets are getting out.
    Life is Good

Is Dragonfly doable without a suit? How much swimming is involved?

If the canyon is full of water.... you have a 10 yard swim and a 5 yard swim,. so long as the day is warm they should not be a problem. Plenty of room to warm up in the sun after the 10 yard swim. The 5 yard swim is followed immedately by a rappel, so you don't want to be cold while on rappel.

I have only done the canyon once and it was full of water.... I'm not sure exactly what the "normal" water leverl is...