Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake to Fairbanks Time Lapse

Salt Lake to Fairbanks Time Lapse

Hey guys. I put together a little time lapse video of the drive from Salt Lake to Fairbanks. I tried to cut it down to under 5 minutes, so the whole drive isn't in there, but you get the idea. Some beautiful country up this way, first time for me seeing it. Hope you enjoy it.

Route was up I-15, hwy 20 through Yellowstone, north on 89 through Montana and Glacier, north to Calgary, west through Banff and Jasper, north to McBride, Chetwynd, and on to the Alaska Highway at Dawson Creek. Sorry, the youtube version is a little lossy on the quality.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Dan
    It appears you have attempted to haul the bad, stormy weather North of Utah. Maybe now it will warm up down here. Thanks

That was sweet, looks like one heck of a drive... Thanks
    "You can judge the character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him"

Beautiful stuff man... how long of a drive is that?

Very nice video. Did you drive that by yourself, that would be a looong trip.
    The man thong is wrong.

Can't see it, the man is blocking many sites. But that's some ride. And I am was concerned abour driving to Sturgis, heh.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

DAN! As always......DAMN FINE WORK!!!!

Had me laughing and wowing all throughout. Nice Job! I especially liked the time lapse of the clouds as you drove, and the ice melting off your windshield.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Great video!!

Now I really want to go to Alaska.

How long did it take you to drive there? I noticed that there was not much traffic.

Did you camp along the way?

Thanks for sharing!

Dan, that was way cool!

I have made that drive 5 times (10 if you count there and back) and I LOVED watching this! I have gone up as early as March and as late as October and I surprisingly have never had a single day of bad weather on that drive (a couple of cloudy days but nothing like what I saw here).

Get used to that construction it will be going on all summer. Last year they were remodeling the Fairbanks airport and that was a pain. It should be done now.

Heads up you may want to be in a request now to be in Fairbanks on Soltice. They have a baseball game that begins at Midnight (without lights) that is like a carnival. It is a big cultural experience that you won't want to miss, but truth is as long as you are up north for solictice you should be having a good time.

I am so jealous of you! I have been missing AK a ton right now. By the way there is some good food in Fairbanks (including 2 Thai places that are reseaonably priced).

Anyway, have a great time up there, and let me know if you have any questions about what to do with your time off... or time on for that matter. I was really good at that job and I hope you love it like I did!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Dan
    It appears you have attempted to haul the bad, stormy weather North of Utah. Maybe now it will warm up down here. Thanks
    Seriously, weather didn't break until day 5 of the drive. It was still insanely cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redpb
    Beautiful stuff man... how long of a drive is that?
    Took me about 60 or so hours, but I went the looong way around. 9 days total.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Very nice video. Did you drive that by yourself, that would be a looong trip.
    Yeah, I was solo. But I never got bored, surprisingly. It was entertaining the whole way. And I had lots of audio books to power me through. Already looking forward to doing it in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Great video!!

Now I really want to go to Alaska.

How long did it take you to drive there? I noticed that there was not much traffic.

Did you camp along the way?

Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Felicia. Yeah, I purposely drove on roads that would be uncrowded. I wasn't on the freeways very much. Plus, it is early in the year, so the crowds aren't coming yet. I camped every night, spent a total of $857 on gas, and $29 on camping, showers, and recreation (like the hot springs.) Damn gas companies...

Heads up you may want to be in a request now to be in Fairbanks on Soltice. They have a baseball game that begins at Midnight (without lights) that is like a carnival. It is a big cultural experience that you won't want to miss, but truth is as long as you are up north for solictice you should be having a good time.
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to be here for that. It's already crazy. It didn't get dark last night until well after midnight. Sun is coming up again by 4:30. It's always light, and solstice is 6 weeks out. It energizes you though. Sunlight is good.

I am so jealous of you! I have been missing AK a ton right now. By the way there is some good food in Fairbanks (including 2 Thai places that are reseaonably priced).
    Yeah, we've been to a couple good places already. Looking forward to seeing more. Send me some suggestions if you got 'em!
    Anyway, have a great time up there, and let me know if you have any questions about what to do with your time off... or time on for that matter. I was really good at that job and I hope you love it like I did!
    Thanks for your help already. I'll definitely have some more questions for you soon. I just passed the final road test today, so it should start up here soon.

Also, went to Copper/Valdez over the weekend. I'll post pics when I get 'em. It was INSANE. Just mind-boggling beautiful.

Very nice, Dan. I've always wanted to do a timelapse video on the road.

Very cool video!

Looks like you were kind of taking your time - were you doing, like, touristy/photo things? Just curious, because (for example) you had defrosting in Lake Louise, then again (it appeared) in Jasper. Now if I recall correctly - not at all a sure thing, as I approach my mid-40s - they're only about 3-4 hours apart...

Have fun up there!

that's a great drive. i love the stretch from chetwynd to the alcan. the peace river valley is some of the most beautiful bit of country i have seen.

9 days? you must have been driving like a tourist. i did that drive once from fairbanks to L.A in 3 1/2 days. solo, 20 hours at a time. hitch hiked it in 84 on the way to climb denali in 8 days.

did you stop at liard hot springs. thats a great place to get the kinks out of your bones.

how much wildlife did you see?

great vid of a marathon drive.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

EPIC I SAY!!!

Post it up on www.revver.com if you get a chance. Much higher quality and even at fullscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    9 days? you must have been driving like a tourist. i did that drive once from fairbanks to L.A in 3 1/2 days. solo, 20 hours at a time. hitch hiked it in 84 on the way to climb denali in 8 days.

did you stop at liard hot springs. thats a great place to get the kinks out of your bones.

how much wildlife did you see?

great vid of a marathon drive.
    Yeah, definitely drove like a tourist. I hadn't seen a lot of it before, so I just took it easy. Did some hikes in a the parks, lots of photography.

Wildlife - Moose and Bald Eagles, buffalo, red fox, mule deer, bighorn sheep, stone sheep, dall sheep, caribou, elk, wolves, coyote (even one taking down a bison calf), black bear, grizzly bear, etc... It was epic. I'll get pics up soon. Here is one of a coyote killing the bison calf.

And yeah, I definitely stopped at liard. Unbelievable hotsprings. It was awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images