Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cinco De Mayo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sorry for the size - but it is a big holiday!!!

The holiday which celebrates the victory of Mexican soldiers over the French in 1862.

I don't get this holiday.... is there anyone who has not defeated the French???

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm just gonna drink a couple Corona's and consider it celebrated

I'm passing on the Corona (well, maybe a Modelo later?) but I had fish tacos for lunch...

Happy, happy Cinco de Mayo!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    The holiday which celebrates the victory of Mexican soldiers over the French in 1862.

I don't get this holiday.... is there anyone who has not defeated the French???

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:
    Let us not forget the French (under the leadership of Francois Joseph Paul Compte de Grasse) helped us deliver a fatal blow to the Brits with their naval forces in 1781 at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

The French, in fact, were pretty much essential to the success of the American Revolution. (Kind of a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".) But you can't expect appreciation to last for more than a couple of centuries, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    The French, in fact, were pretty much essential to the success of the American Revolution. (Kind of a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".) But you can't expect appreciation to last for more than a couple of centuries, of course.

We have more than settled that debt. We have lost more of our lives for their cause than they have for ours.

I still don't know how France could fall so fast in WWII, and I enjoy a good French joke (like Shane's!) but I have a lot of respect for the French freedom fighters of WWII.

I don't have a problem with anybody who doesn't have a problem with me. I have been to France and people were perfectly nice to me, and for the most part every French person I have ever really known has been cool. I do not like the French who do not like Americans, but I also don't like Americans who do not like Americans.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    We have more than settled that debt. We have lost more of our lives for their cause than they have for ours.

No way man....they sent us the statue of liberty as a gift. We're at least a few thousand lives away from merely breaking even for that one!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

No way man....they sent us the statue of liberty as a gift. We're at least a few thousand lives away from merely breaking even for that one!

Jeez. That comment might even offend the French.

(BTW- Did you guys know that the maker of the Statue of Liberty wanted it to be sent to Asia, and the U.S. was his 2nd choice?)
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Cinco de what?

Nope.. I'm passing on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    I was just kind of "Devil's Advocate"-ing there. And I really meant that you can't expect the US to still be beholden to France. (Though it perhaps sounded sarcastic.)

Further Devil's Advocacy: I don't know that you can balance one versus another, in lives lost for causes. It's a tough thing to do, though I agree that "that debt is paid". I'm just not sure that you can say "this did it" or "that did it". Remember that although, for example, WWII took place in places like France, Italy, etc. it wasn't just for the benefit of those people - to liberate them. There was also the threat that the Axis presented to the "Free World" - including to the US.

Anyhoo, there are good and bad people everywhere. Even in France. Even in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

I'd love to see the balance sheet - if you've got something in Excel, pass it along!

My bottom line: Cinco de Mayo is a great excuse to eat Mexican food - like I need one...

i know this is a cinco de mayo thread, but much has been said about the french.

go to google and search for "french military victories" and click I'm feeling lucky. good for a chuckle.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I don't have a problem with anybody who doesn't have a problem with me. I have been to France and people were perfectly nice to me, and for the most part every French person I have ever really known has been cool. I do not like the French who do not like Americans, but I also don't like Americans who do not like Americans.

DITTO!!! Agree with everything you say here. I was treated wonderfully in France as well.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    i know this is a cinco de mayo thread, but much has been said about the french.

go to google and search for "french military victories" and click I'm feeling lucky. good for a chuckle.

Hey Denali!!! Any good hikes around your area? Since I'll be there this weekend? YAY for 90 degrees.

"yobz"

Happy 5th you crazy Mexicans

(BTW- Did you guys know that the maker of the Statue of Liberty wanted it to be sent to Asia, and the U.S. was his 2nd choice?)
    Really?? Had no idea.

-- Wm Blake

Bricks

By the way, I have a Mexican crew repointing the bricks on my house today. Hard working fellers.

-- Wm Blake