Thread: How to Fight Global Warming at Dinner-NO RED MEAT

How to Fight Global Warming at Dinner-NO RED MEAT

So now Cows are causing global warming

How to Fight Global Warming at Dinner

By LiveScience Staff

posted: 05 May 2008 ET

Substituting chicken, fish or vegetables for red meat can help combat climate change, a new study suggests.

In fact, putting these foods on the dinner table does more to reduce carbon emissions than eating locally grown food, researchers report in the May 15 issue of the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

Environmental advocates and retailers urge customers to purchase goods from local sources to minimize environmental impacts. The idea is that food grown locally requires less fuel for shipping to the store. The new study does not argue that point. Yet few studies have compared greenhouse gas emissions from food production to those of transportation.

The production phase is responsible for 83 percent of the average U.S. household's greenhouse-gas burden with regard to food, while transportation accounts for only 11 percent, the new study found. The production of red meat, the researchers conclude, is almost 150 percent more greenhouse-gas-intensive than chicken or fish.

The study, by Christopher L. Weber and H. Scott Matthews of at Carnegie Mellon University, was funded by the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Science Foundation.

"We suggest that dietary shift can be a more effective means of lowering an average household's food-related climate footprint than 'buying local,'" the researchers write.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm surprised they didn't point out that cows/cattle produce a substantial portion of methane -- a gas that is approximately 23 times as potent as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

That's the REAL reason the settlers/explorers killed all of the Tatanka across the plains back in the 1800's -- to combat global warming.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We in the vegan community have long been aware of the environmental significance of our dietary choices, and of the toll that the meat and dairy industry takes on our world.

What I got from that article was that we need to eat more meat. Yes it is a step farther toward unhealthy living but then we can reduce the amount of methane. So do mother earth a favor and have a neighborhood barbeque this weekend
    The man thong is wrong.

So how much methane do 6 billion people produce? Not to mention all of the animals which were replaced by civilization. Beef dosn't give me gas but vegies sure do. So I think I'll do my part and continue to eat beef.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

ah, so screw the steer farmers.

You know, these same people would report that marriage contributes to global warming, if it didn't seem so GAT DAMN ridiculous.

Sheesh! Living in my house with three boys? The amount of methane leaving my house on a regular basis is definately contributing to the global warming problem.

Mmmmm I got the cravings for a Big Mac. :bird:

If it wasn't for global warming, the womenz would still be darn-near fully clothed at the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    If it wasn't for global warming, the womenz would still be darn-near fully clothed at the beach.

Preach on brutha!

Amen...

i think i'll do my part and just eat the cow.

new zealand tried to tax the methane that was produced by agriculture. the farmers were going to take a bit hit. the public called it a "fart tax" in the end it was so ridiculed that it never passed.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

What we need is a way to capture all that methane and use it to produce electricity. Can we train the cows to fart into a collection bucket?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg

That's a dude

I figure eating things like cattle meat would be good, more cattle in the tummy and less farting cattle walking around

cows are herbivores...vegans if you will... consumption of vegetable matter produces more methane than consumption of meat. Hmmm, I'm gonna just get into trouble if I pursuit this line of thought any further
    I likes a good steak I do