Thread: death hollow in june ?

death hollow in june ?

are the biting flies and no-seeums nasty in early to mid june ? have wanted to do this hike for a looong time but not when the bugs are nasty.

thansk !
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: death hollow in june ?

Death Hollow is a good one. It has been a long time since I have been in this area. It seems May and June are usually the worst when it comes to bugs on the Colorado Plateau. I think this year has been wetter than usual (this would add to the problem) but I could be wrong.

I can't remember the specific situation in Death Hollow but I can check with a more knowledgeable partner and get back to you on that if no one else does.

After the big snow of '04-'05 Death Hollow was not open to hiking until July 20th. The snow this year is not as deep but it could delay the opening of the route unil late June/early July.

If you call the GSENM visitor station in Escalante they could tell you when the runoff will be low enough, and they can update you on the bugs.

James

thanks guys.

i heard recently teh escalante was at ~75% of normal and boulder mountains missed most of the storms that generally dumped well above normal snowpack throughout the rest of the west. they could be wrong.. was in east fork virgin last july and there was NOTHING in the way of bugs. and the day before we ran out of the escalante because of evil biting flies and no sees. i ws hoping that somehow death hollow woudl be not so infested. maybe i'll save it for a more bug free time some year. *sigh*
    signature