Thread: Dark Canyon in June (and I really mean Dark Canyon)

Dark Canyon in June (and I really mean Dark Canyon)

A few weeks ago I asked about Rock Canyon but accidentally wrote Dark Canyon, which was quickly noted and corrected. But it did get me to thinking of Dark. I went there a few years ago with my wife, down the Sundance Trail, in early May. The pools were all full and it was a lovely weekend. So then I thought about going again the second week in June ...

Question: Does anyone know if those pools stay pretty full year round, or at least through June this year? I'm guessing it will be plenty hot by then, so no fun without the swimming.

And by the way, did Rock Canyon last weekend. My first time there. The East Fork was just perfect--knee high in most places and not too cold. It's gorgeous down there. (Can't imagine how nice it would be without the grazing or the tamarisk.) And I loved the French Canyon exit--especially that cool little slot channel going in. Didn't see any poison ivy anywhere, although it might not be in leaves yet, but if it would have been there in any form, it would have found me! Thanks all for the beta.
    Can you see the bottom?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I would have thought the water down there would be cold. Nice to know its not. I like Joe's French Canyon too... I wonder if poision ivy only comes out at certain times of the year because you can't miss it in there... its up at about belly/chest level depending on how tall you are.

So... where are the pictures?

I haven't been there in mid-June, but a couple of years ago I was there the last couple of days of May. The pools were full, and the water was flowing:

Trip report: http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3762

Treehugger did this trip in early June last year - with pools. Her report is here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7199

Dark Canyon flows year round...

Here is some good info on Dark Canyon
    http://www.utahtrails.com/Backcountry%20pages/Dark.html