Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion: Telephone Canyon

Bogley BigShot

Zion: Telephone Canyon

The first shocker! Look at our first anchor! We saw it... we laughed... I went off to take photos and when I wandered back the guys had rigged it.

As usual we tried to find out if the canyon we were going to do was dry or if there was water.... everyone we asked told us dry.. dry.. dry! But it was wet.. wet... wet!!! and so dang COLD! The other shock we had was what a beauty! I wish I had pictures of what we dropped into but I was too busy trying to avoid the BIG COLD POOL of water, then I had to get over the snowberg and over another pool of COLD WATER -- and all too soon I was past that section -- and Bo had my camera anyway and he was still up top and would have ran into the same problem.... stay dry if you can! By the end we were all pretty wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    My 2nd Shocker --- well this guy can be shocking for those that know him and if you know him you know we can't say his name on the internet, but I call him Bushwhacker.

See what he is hanging off of? Yes! Another tree and this one was on the edge of the rock!!! As in where are the roots to hold it in place?

Notice we all wear dark colors knowing we are going to be in yucky burnt stuff down there.

Bogley BigShot
    So... the Bushwhacker had gone down first and got us all past the first pool all nice and dry, but he sends me over the snowberg (we knew one of these were going to break sometime in the day but we got lucky) and I turn the corner to see the 2nd pool of water. I had gone first and did manage to stay dry (it was not easy! ) so I got to hang out on the other side of that pot hole and take Bo's and Bushwhackers pictures while they tried to stay out of the COLD water... and while doing that I step in water. And it was DANG COLD but it was only the first taste of the cold! BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... and now my toes are getting really really cold! I can't remember if the guys got wet at all but it did not matter much because ahead there was no way to avoid getting in the water.

Bogley BigShot
    There were some nice rappels too.

Bogley BigShot
    So.. Bo being the gentleman he is brought along a wetsuit for me just in case it got cold... and when we got to where we could no longer avoid the pools I put that sucker on since the guys just were not going to wear it. So... why was I still so COLD! My feet were freezing.. it was cold in that place! These 2 were covered in goosebumps.. we could not feel our toes... they were so stiff it was painful to walk.

I might as well tell you before Bo does, that yeah.. I put his wetsuit on backwards. I debated the issue but the pretty writing was on the front, but it sure did not fit so well. I had all this extra butt material on my belly. But I was so cold.. I left it that way. I was not about to change. The guys thought that was really funny.

Then comes the hole! I peer over the edge and there is the Bushwacker grinning and standing in ice cold water waiting for me. What a nice guy!

Yeah guys... there is so much pressure to get up one on these two.

So there is the Bushwhacker in the Ice Cold water and he tells me to sit on my butt and slide into the pool!

I was not thrilled! I think he was though. There is a bit of the devil in that one! So... I hesitate.. complain... refuse.. debate... (all this while the guy is standing in cold water) -- so he pulls me in!!! ... but he caught me. That was not so bad.

Bo's turn.

Near the end.... we are not getting in so many pools so it's actually colder in the wetsuit than out of it, so I change. I had 4 shirts on to start the early morning hike up the West Rim Trail, and I wanted to keep the black shirt on top due to all the black stuff in the canyon, but somehow I got pink on top --- I have not made it through all the photos yet, but that poor pink top was pretty black at the end of the canyon.

Ugly????? Nope

I will be the first to say that it was probably one of the most beautiful canyons I've had the pleasure to experience. The massive snow-bridges that were encountered made it even more special for me. Thanks Kip and Tanya.

PS.....I still think I could have done that last pothole without getting wet!

Bogley BigShot
    It was a beauty! I am impressed you got to that last anchor. I only wish I had a photo of you standing on the Bushwhackers back to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    It was a beauty! I am impressed you got to that last anchor. I only wish I had a photo of you standing on the Bushwhackers back to do it.
    Just show me more pictures please! I want to see some of the "snow-bridge" photos! Please!

Bogley BigShot
    I will look for some. My pictures don't do this canyon justice at all! I was too cold to care! That is not like me!

Bogley BigShot

Re: Ugly????? Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    I will be the first to say that it was probably one of the most beautiful canyons I've had the pleasure to experience. The massive snow-bridges that were encountered made it even more special for me. Thanks Kip and Tanya.

PS.....I still think I could have done that last pothole without getting wet!
    So we have been in this wet/cold canyon freezing our buns off and we are at the final rappel. We can see the sun!!! We want to get there. First we had to do the stand on the back tecnique to rig the rope and then there was another problem. There was a deep and big pool at the bottom of the rappel, which of course Bo could have avoided, and then he would have helped the other 2 of us, but just to be on the safe side the Bushwhacker did what he does best... he went Bushwhacking! He almost took Bo out with a big rock to the side of the head but he made it up the mountain and down to the pool and guided me to dryness then Bo. I mean then he guided Bo, not that he guided me to Bo.

Bo! Notice your snow bridge below! I will look for more but mostly they just look like dirty snow from the angles we got.

What an awesome day you guys had!!!! Tanya, by some of your expressions, you can see how cold you were feeling. HEHE!! I guess I get mine soon enough at noobfest! Glad you guys had a great time and made it back safely.

I have always avoided Telephone canyon because I was under the impression it was Behunin-ish. And we all know how much I like that worthless excuse for a wasted day... Looks like I might need to reconsider.

Heck, if I did Telephone I might even do Behunin again on the way out just cause it's there.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I have always avoided Telephone canyon because I was under the impression it was Behunin-ish. And we all know how much I like that worthless excuse for a wasted day... Looks like I might need to reconsider.

Heck, if I did Telephone I might even do Behunin again on the way out just cause it's there.

I want to go again to take more photos! I missed so much. So... come down this weekend and lets do them.

Bogley BigShot
    Bo all smiles even though it was so COLD!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice Tr guys---man, it seems like the cold will never go away this year.

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks Kurt. It was a trip with lots to laugh about.

It was a trip with lots to laugh about.
    Cold water does that to men....

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm a pretty slow hiker, it took me 2 1/2 hrs to reach the top of Behunin, How much further is the Telephone drop in?(I know quite a bit more elevation gain)

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    It was a trip with lots to laugh about.
    Cold water does that to men....

Yeah But I never look down there!!! Really!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    I'm a pretty slow hiker, it took me 2 1/2 hrs to reach the top of Behunin, How much further is the Telephone drop in?(I know quite a bit more elevation gain)
    These 2 guys kicked butt going up that hillside.. and they carried all the weight so it was easy for me. It was a few switchbacks past Behunin.. quite a few.

If I say too many it will scare Ice off and he will never show up to do it.