Thread: packs

packs

I am wondering about pack models. What is everyone out there using? I have looked at the imlay packs but my only concern is that I would like a pack that will work well on short 2 day non canyon trips also. Ideally of course I would like two packs one for each purpose but financially I can't do that right now. What are some good packs to use?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If your recommending the leprechaun, I wouldn't think it would work well for 2 day non canyon trips, not enough capacity. I haven't used it but it looks pretty small.

I use the Petzl Alcanadre but wouldn't recommend it for a 2 day backpacking trip, it has no waist strap or pockets and extras to organize your gear. I'd think Imlay packs would work well, you just need to figure out how big of a pack you want.

Re: packs

Quote Originally Posted by Strieby
    I would like a pack that will work well on short 2 day non canyon trips also.
    Unless you are a super minimalist, any pack that would work for a 2 day backpacking trip would probably be ok in Zion, but will get ripped to shreds if you take it to the North Wash or Robbers Roost.

Quote Originally Posted by Strieby
    Ideally of course I would like two packs one for each purpose but financially I can't do that right now.
    If you keep an eye out for clearance sales, and you aren't too picky you might be able to find one for $30 or so. (That is how much I spent on one last year at Out-N-Back. Since I got it so cheap I don't care what happens to it. It is bigger than I wanted though.)

Until you get that second pack for canyoneering either avoid the tight slots, or else don't care about what happens to that pack.

(That wasn't very helpful was it.)

FWIW my first pack was a Kelty Redwing. You could do an overnighter with it if you packed carefully but it kind of sucks for canyoneering (so I would scratch that one off your list). I would get some kind of toploading backpack instead. I find it easier to attach ropes or wetsuits to the outside of a top loader than my Redwing.

I would ask if you do more canyoneering or backpacking. If canyoneering, there are no better packs, imho, than the Imlay Packs. I have used the Heaps, Mystery, and Leprechaun packs and all have their strengths/ capacity. My hunch is that the Heaps has plenty of capacity for a two day hike with all that you would need. However, it may not be the most functional canyoneering pack for all the day trips for canyoneering particularly if you go year around in the skinnies of the North Wash, Roost, Escalante...etc. I have done a two day-er with the Kolob pack and it was tight but it worked. Frankly, if canyoneering is the priority, buy a canyoneering pack like the Mystery or Kolob. Again, consider your canyons also. If you just can't stay out of the skinnies, the Lep pack is great. If your future holds more backpacking, by a nice backpacking pack and a cheep book bag type pack and put some holes/grommets in it and plan to replace it often if you do any volume of canyoneering. (Which of course gets us back to the "buy a canyoneering pack for canyoneering") I loaned my Mystery pack to a very good friend and he could not believe the difference the pack made in Imlay compaired to his old pack. Those things drain very well.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I would ask if you do more canyoneering or backpacking. If canyoneering, there are no better packs, imho, than the Imlay Packs. I have used the Heaps, Mystery, and Leprechaun packs and all have their strengths/ capacity. My hunch is that the Heaps has plenty of capacity for a two day hike with all that you would need. However, it may not be the most functional canyoneering pack for all the day trips for canyoneering particularly if you go year around in the skinnies of the North Wash, Roost, Escalante...etc. I have done a two day-er with the Kolob pack and it was tight but it worked. Frankly, if canyoneering is the priority, buy a canyoneering pack like the Mystery or Kolob. Again, consider your canyons also. If you just can't stay out of the skinnies, the Lep pack is great. If your future holds more backpacking, by a nice backpacking pack and a cheep book bag type pack and put some holes/grommets in it and plan to replace it often if you do any volume of canyoneering. (Which of course gets us back to the "buy a canyoneering pack for canyoneering") I loaned my Mystery pack to a very good friend and he could not believe the difference the pack made in Imlay compaired to his old pack. Those things drain very well.
    2006 Heaps pack currently on sale for $ 149.95 (plus tax and shipping).

http://tinyurl.com/6zxdnk

Would be a good non-tech canyon 2-day pack, and OK for a few gentle technical canyons in Zion, but there are not gentle canyons elsewhere.

Scott's Mystery has been replaced by the Spry. Sorry, no deals available on that.

Tom

Imlay packs rock, and I own a Petzl pack. Tom gives me crap every trip I go on with him for wearing my Petzl pack... keeps threatening to crop it out when he puts photos on his latest rave. I am guilty of giving in to my REI dividend and 20% discount to get a cheaper pack, but won't make that mistake again with my next pack purchase. I own a leprechaun and have used the Kolob, it is much more comfy and MUCH better for swimming (as I was reminded once again last trip). I also own a separate backpacking pack that I loved dearly... I swore I would never take it canyoneering... another mistake I've made in my canyoneering life was giving in and dragging it through Heaps... ONE canyon is all it has seen and the thing has never been the same, the stays stick out the top and bottom, the zipper on the top pouch is broken etc... one canyon took off years of life for my poor pack. Be careful what you choose because canyons destroy packs!