View Poll Results: Do you have a PSK (personal survival kit)?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 66.67%
  • No

3 14.29%
  • Don't need one

0 0%
  • Kinda

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your PSK (personal survival kit)?

Whats your PSK (personal survival kit)?

I think this place is as good as any but survival goes along with almost anything where you go into the back country.

So i was woundering what your PSK is if you have one.

This is my PSK. minus some gear that depends on circumstances. obviosly i won't pack my hoodie in the middle of summer down here. and doesn't include food.

left to right, top to bottom

binoculars
    char cloth, sawdust, and tin container.
    quartzite, chapstick and batteries.
    diamond knife sharpener.
    mag/flint stick, and a whistle, compass, thermometer, and magnifying glass in one
    big mag
    little mag
    multi wrench tool (fit's most parts on my bike.)
    -- next row --
    two multi tools, and a leathermen juice pro.
    my big hand made knife.
    -- next row--
    first aid kit with ton's of crap including emergency blanket but you can't really see it.
    just under 200 ft of para cord.
    cell phone with great service, and my new triton 400 gps.
    my gloves, and camelbak with 64oz bladder.
    :D

and it all fit's nicely together

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hmm thanks for sharing, I need to redo mine now

I think I have nothing on the list you shared, heh. So far I've only done daily hikes, nothin off-track, so I didn't feel a survival kit was neccessary, just warm clothing in case of bad weather. But yeah, I do need to get a knife and other useful tools. King, how much your survival kit weigh?
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

My kit includes:

basic medical kit
    whistle
    bivy sack
    headlamp
    flint/magnesium
    knife
    lighter
    candle
    2 glowsticks
    a couple cliff bars
    duct tape
    extra socks
    compass

I use a GPS but wouldn't consider that part of my survival kit.

I'll also pack some webbing, caribiners and a short rope depending on the situation. I usually bring some extra clothes too.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    I think I have nothing on the list you shared, heh. So far I've only done daily hikes, nothin off-track, so I didn't feel a survival kit was neccessary, just warm clothing in case of bad weather. But yeah, I do need to get a knife and other useful tools. King, how much your survival kit weigh?
    HA! I personally met two victims who were doing a day hike, passed me on the way up and then by the time I got down to the trail head, there was a S&R on the way. One was on Mt Olympus, another was in Millcreek canyon.

Both victims fell and couldn't move, luckily for them they brought cell phones and were in the range of a cell phone. Also both victims traveled alone

We live 5 minutes away from wilderness, if you don't bring basic survival gear, you WILL get into trouble sooner or later. It's wiser to carry extra weight and be prepared than call S&R and sound like a noob.

You never know when you will sprain an ankle and no one will be around to help you!

Alex, a knife, compass and fire starting kit is already waiting in my shopping cart on Amazon, heh. ;-) I can whistle but not as well as some so I guess a whistling device is in order also. I do carry my cell phone around, it's fine near civilization but a little further away signal varies. Damn AT&T!

o i forgot to include my lighter in the pictures... but i have tons of them and a bunch in my car too.

i think everyone needs a PSK. but i also think everyone needs to know how to build shelter and more than 1 way to make a fire.

and everyone's pack varies due to location and activity.

the Rules Of 3's.

You can surviv3 3 minutes with out air.
    You can survive 3 hours without proper shelter.
    You can survive 3 days with out water.
    You can survive 3 weeks with out food.
    you can survive 3 months without companionship

5 w’s.
    Wood
    Weather
    Widow Makers
    Wigglies
    and water.

O BTW my pack weighs 5-7 lbs without the 64oz water bladder filled
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Quote Originally Posted by theking648

That's not a lot, especially if it's to save your life. I ordered me knife, compass, and fire starter, for starters ;-)

That's not a lot, especially if it's to save your life. I ordered me knife, compass, and fire starter, for starters ;-)
    you know my favorite thing to do is make char cloth. with char cloth all you need is one tiny spark to hit it and it glows red and is very very hot and burns for a few minutes while you try to catch your tinder on fire.

i got a spark off that quartzite to hit the cloth and put that in my tinder and poof flame... i like starting a fire that way vs just a lighter.

i would say the most important thing in my PSK is my multi tool. if i have that i can make every thing else like a fire bow, figure 4 dead fall, and shelter.

Mine is kinda trip specific. Depends on the time of year, the trip, the dangers, etc. The common items in all my emergency gear is:

Bivy bag (Black Diamond brand, about as big as a softball)
    Waterproof/windproof matches
    Butane lighter
    duct tape
    ibuprofen
    a couple of bandaids
    knife
    rope/cord
    purification tablets
    oh ya, and some T.P.

I am pretty minimalist. This is the basics and I add to this with each different trip. Canyoneering of course requires all kinds of emergency gear to escape the canyons. Backpacking is different and altitude, weather, temperature ...dependant.

When I am driving to Vernal in the middle of the winter early in the morning, I have my car kit that includes all kind of camping gear.

So to shorten this post. depends......
    Life is Good

o that reminds me. i do take 1-3 water bottles (most likely it's gatorade ) with me when i got hiking, goecaching, mountian biking or whatever.

so thats why i don't take a cup or anything with me because you can boil water in a water bottle and so far i only know of two ways to do that

one is to fill it up with no air in it, with it sealed tightly and toss it in the fire for 10 min. the other is just fill it up with no top and you can boil it as long as the flames don't go above the water line.

(some concept with a balloon with some water in it at the bottom and a open flame won't pop it untill it goes above the water line. )

and if your looking for a good drink "mormon tea" tastes great.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    For me, it depends on the situation and vehicle.

I have a different kit for my ATV, for my truck, for my wife's truck, for our RV and for my camelbak backpack.

Each have at least the following:

- Box of 9mm or .40cal ammo
    - Weapon (9mm or .40cal)
    - MRE (x1)
    - Wet weather poncho
    - Multi-tool
    - Super sharp Knife (CRKT M16-14ZSF)
    - Water
    - Bungee Cords
    - Latex gloves (surgical type)
    - Glo-Sticks
    - Crank flashlight (no battery required)
    - Camo Tarp (fabric/waterproof)
    - First aid kit
    - Batteries (usually 2AA)
    - Compass
    - Ziplock bag of sawdust soaked in lighter fluid'
    - Magnesium fire starter
    - Ziplock bag of matches (in case the above two don't work)
    - GPSr (usually on my ATV or camelbak, not in vehicles)
    - Dogtags (on me)
    - 50' climbing rope (rated at 600 pounds)
    - Tow hook (12')
    - Water purification kit and filter (tablets and filter)

Sometime this year, I hope to add the "Spot" emergency Sat/GPS locater.

Then, other stuff depending on where and how we're going someplace..

Maybe you, I get bored in like 3 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Maybe you, I get bored in like 3 minutes
    WILSON!!

[WILSON!!

nice one, now I got an idea....

Light, small packing and cuddly.... a blow up doll! Then I can go 3 months for sure!

Thanks guys

I got my compass, magnesium fire starter in the mail. My knife is on its way too ;-)

King, how do you make char cloth? What's better, char cloth or sawdust soaked in lighter fluid?

Also, Brute, you mentioned a weapon as part of your survival kit. Do you guys think a weapon is warranted when going camping for a few days, say in the Uinitas? I would imagine bears and mountain lions usualy try to stay away from humans.

Also, Brute, you mentioned a weapon as part of your survival kit. Do you guys think a weapon is warranted when going camping for a few days, say in the Uinitas? I would imagine bears and mountain lions usualy try to stay away from humans.
    I don't ever head into the mountains (or desert) without a weapon. In most cases, the weapon is for the stupid humans, and not the animals. The amount of drunken red-necks I've encountered is astounding.

Last year, however - we did come face-to-face with a sizeable bear (about 30' away) on a peak in the Fish Lake National Forest. Fortunately, we were able to beat a hasty retreat, as my 9mm would have just angered it. I now carry a .40 instead of the 9mm.

Thanks Brute. Yep, there's nothing worse than guys who act tough when they get drunk. If you don't know how to drink, don't do it!

I am thinking about getting familiar with a weapon in the future. For self defense reasons and to shoot some cans in the desert.

both are good but he sawdust will go poof and thats it. like a magic trick... char cloth will not light into a flame but it glows red and very very hot like a coal so you can put it in your tinder bundle.

char cloth is very easy to make.

every time i go camping i always start a fire with mag/flint stick and char. and once i get the fiire started i make more.

1. you need access to a fire pit or BBQ or anything that has a very hot open flame or hot coals. (do not do this inside)

2. you need a metal container. i use an altoids can but you can use a soup can covered with foil and use wire to secure the foil down.

3. you need to poke a hole in the top of the can or foil. the hole diamiter would be about 1/8th to 3/16th.

4. you need 100% cotton cloth. like an old t-shirt. you can do it with jeans to but i havne't do it.

5. cut it up in 2X2 inch pieces (you can do what ever size you feel like)
    put it all in the can and put it on to the coals in your fire or on the hottest part of the flames with the BBQ.

6. leave for about 10 minutes. the can should start shooting out smoke that smells bad. the smoke is very flamible and it does on most occasions it will catch fire.

when the can stops smoking, then its done. if the cloth is brown then it needs to go back in the fire for 3-5 minutes. if it's black then you got yourself some char cloth.

i think they have videos on youtube.

good luck i hope it goes well.