Thread: What was your first mountain bike?

What was your first mountain bike?

I searched Google and couldn't find any photos of it, but mine was a MTN TEK Comp STX back in 1994 or 1995. I'm now sportin' a K2 Lithium 3.0 and (still) in the process of building up an Intense 6.6;

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A shovel in one hand and an ice cold beer in the other
    Diamond back can't remember which one, now I build my own frames-what the hell am I thinking -would not have it any other way-new trailbike still in the works
    Resident Ogden freeride park forum whore

'85 Schwinn High Sierra
    that beast had handlebars with rise that made you feel like you were riding a wheelie even when you were going downhill

but it got me around the Slickrock loop many years ago

last weekend I took the rusty old relic off my backyard fence and stripped everything off of it and hung in my garage for sentimental value
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

In about 1983 I spent almost half of the money I saved through the summer on a Sekai Mountaineer. 21 speeds, cro-moly front triangle, hi-ten stays, and full rigid of course. If I recall correctly, I paid a little over $350, rode the hell out of it and sold it in about '94 for $150.

Next summer I replaced it with a Bianchi Advantage hybrid that was better for the distances I was covering after returning to school to finish my degree. I went without a mountain bike for about 5 years before investing in what is now a wholly and completely upgraded 1999 GT Backwoods with a Duke XC rebuilt by Hippie Tech. I hate to part with it for sentimental reasons but it's now for sale so I can make room for another FS rig.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

1992 Haro rigid mountain bike. Probably weighed 50 pounds!!

1994 Cannondale ... something.

1996 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro - great bike, loved it!!

2000 Santa Cruz Superlight.... which I still have! I bought the frame and built it up with parts from the Specialized - that had XTR and rapid rise shifting that still work great (and I love). New front fork, and disc brakes since.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

My first was a Diamondback...no shocks front or rear...21sp Biopace chainrings (funky) with a rear cargo rack. Next up was a GT Ricochet hardtail w/a quad21r front shock...ball burnished frame...awesome bike. Sold it to a missionary. Damn...damn...wish I still had that bike.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    1992 Haro rigid mountain bike. Probably weighed 50 pounds!!

1994 Cannondale ... something.

1996 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro - great bike, loved it!!

2000 Santa Cruz Superlight.... which I still have! I bought the frame and built it up with parts from the Specialized - that had XTR and rapid rise shifting that still work great (and I love). New front fork, and disc brakes since.

Nice bike. I've always loved Santa Cruz products. I was very seriously considering a Nomad when I came upon a deal on the 6.6 and Fox Talas 36 RC2 fork that was just way too good to pass up.
    I'm headed back to work in a couple of days and I think I just might be able to complete the build when I get back :cool:

my first bike was a 97 Novara (REI) pro-ultimate, it was ok, hardtail, it was really light and had a RST 80 mm fork. I beat it up pretty good.

I think it was about 1990 or somewhere around there??? Specialized Hard Rock sport, Giro waterbottles, onza bar ends, blackburn pump, specialized computer, champagne color. I just barely got rid of her.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

2000 Klein Mantra Comp

I'll be riding it tomorrow.

My first was in high scho. .. oh wait bikes.

I had a bianchi 18 speed with a killer huge ass seat. Then I bought a FILA mountain bike for $1200 in 10th grade or something. It was a sweet ride and my Dad still has it in the garage. My Dad had a Fisher Hoo Koo Eee Koo way back when and he still has it somewhere.

Ross Mt. Hood - Bought new in '90 with the proceeds with my first full-time summer job. Replaced a crappy 18 spd Huffy that fell apart in a couple months. Used the Ross for riding to school and work all the time. Only replaced it around 2003.

Shimano 7 spd Biopace drivetrain and canti brakes. The wheels are still true and work well...probably going to rebuild the frame this summer!

hmmmm...if we REALLY want to go back in time...I was just thinking I remember building mountain bikes from cruiser and 10 speed frames, literally from the ground up. We'd find the widest fork we could that would fit a cruiser tire & then frankenstein them together with a 10spd frame...change the seat out and put a banana seat on from my old 3spd stick Schwinn...replace the road racing handlebars with a cruiser style or just cut a water pipe down to width and clamp it on...everything was 'adjustable' back then....in the 70's We even build chopper forks out of tubing slammed on the end of the original forks, bolted em' on and started ridin'. Wish I'd known Gary Fisher & Keith Bontrager back then ...I'd be rich now
    I'll have to remember to take pics of the two I've frankensteined together in my backyard even now...kinda freaky looking

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    My first REAL Mt. Bike was a Rocky Mountain Instinct 2002 model year. Still ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker
    In about 1983 . . .
    Whoa!!!! 19-freakin'-80s!

Go no further. You have caught my attention and I humbly bow in your general direction.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    ....in the 70's....
    Ok, nevermind Cachehiker, your position of "Revered Old Mountain Biking Geezer" has been superceded.

By the way, "Backyard Frankensteins of the 70's" would make a great name for classic rock compilation album.

GT Ricochet hardtail w/a quad21r front shock...ball burnished frame...awesome bike. Sold it to a missionary. **censored**...**censored**...wish I still had that bike.
    I remember that bike

My first real mountain bike was in 1986, a mission bike, diamondback but I don't remember the model, I put a ton of miles on that thing until some dirtbag stole it from my garage. Then on to a diamonback Sorento that I rode the wheels off several times over

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    GT Ricochet hardtail w/a quad21r front shock...ball burnished frame...awesome bike. Sold it to a missionary. **censored**...**censored**...wish I still had that bike.
    I remember that bike

My first real mountain bike was in 1986, a mission bike, diamondback but I don't remember the model, I put a ton of miles on that thing until some dirtbag stole it from my garage. Then on to a diamonback Sorento that I rode the wheels off several times over
    Hey, that first diamondback was the same year as the one I was talking about and probably the same frame ...yeah, we're old farts Iteelyouwhat though, if'n I had me a lit'l welder I'd be rebuilding me some tall bikes & some choppers right now!

I just noticed I was censored.....
    ...'Lord, I apologize for saying 'censored' twice...and for the starving pygmies in New Guinea..'