Thread: rope length: most useful

rope length: most useful

I currently have a 35' rope I use on occasion and a 200' but am getting tired of carrying more rope than needed in some canyons. I'm wanting to get another rope and cutting my old one into smaller pieces, or maybe just get a few smaller new ropes.

My question is: While canyoneering in the Colorado Plateau, what rope lengths would you find the most useful? If you were to cut up a 200' rope, what lengths would you create? 120' and 80'? 150' and 50'? 100' x2?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

With my experience I would say 200, 100, 60. Whatever you can get with your 200 is up to you. Having a 200 ft. pull chord is great also.

all of the above, why limit yourself to just one or two rope lengths

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    all of the above, why limit yourself to just one or two rope lengths
    Budget. Seems obvious to me since I have been thinking about this same issue and considering cutting a 150' into a 100' and a 50'.

That's kind of why I'm asking in the first place, I don't want to limit myself to one rope. I was planning on cutting it into a 120' and 80' and getting a new 200'. I was hoping someone would say, "140' and 60' would be more useful because there are a lot of rappels just shy of 70'" or something like that.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCmntjunkie
    That's kind of why I'm asking in the first place, I don't want to limit myself to one rope. I was planning on cutting it into a 120' and 80' and getting a new 200'. I was hoping someone would say, "140' and 60' would be more useful because there are a lot of rappels just shy of 70'" or something like that.
    For Zion, I've found 120' to be a very useful size. Seems to work in a lot of other places too. Fits well in a Bagarino.

Tom

I've also found the 120' to be handy quite often.

Blog Entries
    I'll agree too that 120' is good, actually, for most canyons in Utah. But of course I also use a 80', and 200' and 300' 7/16" static rope (not recommended for climbing though) for rappels.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like 120' and 80' would be a good way to split a 200' rope.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like 120' and 80' would be a good way to split a 200' rope.
    Or, buy and use the 200' rope, and allow God to determine what two shorter sections it becomes...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Or, buy and use the 200' rope, and allow God to determine what two shorter sections it becomes...
    True Dat

It doesn't require much canyoneering before you will aquire a nice arsenal for strange rope lengthes.

Tom
    And hopefully not while you're on rappel...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Tom
    That was the plan with my current 200' rope, but I guess god likes it at 200' for the time being, cause it's holding up really well. I have a little wear about 25' from the end, but cutting it there won't do me any good. I want a shorter rope though, so maybe I'll just go buy a 100' rope.

That was the plan with my current 200' rope, but I guess god likes it at 200' for the time being,
    Bring your rope to Bogley noob fest.... I can promise you it will not be 200' at the end of the weekend.....

I have added 120' as a standard length for ropes at Canyoneering USA.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com

Tom

I have 2 30' sections that I use way more than the longer rope lengths. They are much faster to set up and pack for those shorter drops when a much longer rope isn't necessary
    My mama didn't raise no fool!!