Thread: the best utah 3 night ish backpacking trip you've been on?

the best utah 3 night ish backpacking trip you've been on?

i'm looking for a good 3 nighter backpacking trip. if you have gps cords or somethin so i can get there that'd be awesome. a good hike in/hike out would be good. just whatever! let me know thanks in advance!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't done anything over 2 nights, but the first thing came to mind was the East to West Rim in Zion. Start at the East side and finish it on the west side?

Also you have unlimited opportunities in Canyonlands right now. We have a couple of neato TRs from Canyonlands, just scroll down

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10596

grand gulch: kane to bullet

escalante: coyote gulch

canyonlands: lost canyon loop. lots of options.

dark canyon:

grand gulch: fish and owl creek

canyonlands: maze

those are some of my favorite short backpacks.

if any of these are of interest pm me for more details.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Re: the best utah 3 night ish backpacking trip you've been o

Quote Originally Posted by Axpence
    i'm looking for a good 3 nighter backpacking trip. if you have gps cords or somethin so i can get there that'd be awesome. a good hike in/hike out would be good. just whatever! let me know thanks in advance!!!!!
    1. If you can get a permit on-line or don't mind being at the Ranger Station when they open, Buckskin/Paria or just the Paria would be an worthwhile 4-day/3-night trip. However, it would require a shuttle, but if you're going solo, there are companies that provide this service.

2. Bryce has many in/out or loop hikes. Grab a trail map and explore.
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

I agree with denaliguide - and man, he knows his stuff. Take him up on his offer! And skianddive is so right about Buckskin/Paria. My comments on a few trips:
    • I got out of Grand Gulch 2 weeks ago - fabulous place. Amazing ruins and rock art. You can just lose yourself in thinking about those who came before. And those before them, and so on...
    • Dark Canyon - I say day 1, go down the Sundance trail. Day 2 explore up canyon - perhaps into Long Canyon, and Lean-to Canyon, or up to Youngs. Day 3 explore down canyon to the Colorado (Lake Powell no longer makes it up that far). Day 4, pack up early and climb out before the heat of the day hits (ouch).
    • Coyote Gulch is stunning - I ran in & out in a (VERY LONG) day, but it would be fantastic as a leisurely trip. Some of the biggest, best alcoves I've ever seen!
    • The Maze is gorgeous - wish I'd had more time to spend when I was there.
    • Buckskin/Paria is fantastic. Exploring the whole range of narrow to expansive canyon in one trip. For a shuttle call Betty Price at 928-355-2252.

I still think the area around Navajo Mountain has the best scenery in Utah, get lost, explore the canyons and wander around the slickrock, soooo nice. A trip to Rainbow Bridge is always a nice touch too. Some canyons will be flowing this time of year. I was around the area last week via the lake, great stuff.

Death Hollow near Escalante is a good choice too, maybe a little bettter in May due to all the water.

EDIT: West Canyon near Lake Powell would be another excellent choice.

thank you all for your responses! im putting most of these trips on my to do list! thankyou much.

Thanks to Doug Thayer I once marched around the Unitas lost for a couple of days. That was an experience that I do not recommend .
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Thanks to Doug Thayer I once marched around the Unitas lost for a couple of days. That was an experience that I do not recommend .
    hahahaha no way, alone? E3 scouts has taken a 180 from your time in it to my time in it, at least it seems that way with the stories you tell me, "some leader (you wouldn't confirm or deny who)" pulling a gun on you at a campout on the other side of utah lake, and wandering around the uintias lost? haha i wonder how that never came up in conversation?

You have never heard of the famous "Dougie's Death March"? That hike was crazy and there were like 12 of us.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

no i havent you must share sometime.

I know this question was posted a long time ago, but I assume there are many people out there with the same question.
    There are many amazing places you could go for a 3 day backpacking trip in the Uinta mountain range. The following is just one example.

Enter the Highline trail at the trail head at Butterfly lake. Butterfly lake is located just off of the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway. The road is paved all the way. From there you head east to access the Naturalist Basin, which is full of many wonderful lakes and beautiful vistas. A night camping there would be great, but there is a fire bane in that basin so be aware of that. The next day you could follow the trails south east to Grand Daddy Basin. Two days could be spent exploring that large area. Then you can make the loop back toward the Highline trail and head out the 3rd day.

trekkertrips.com

1. a 2nd on Dark Canyon

2. I love the Ryder/Mcfeeders lake area of the Uintas (my dog is now named Ryder)

Quote Originally Posted by tomertim View Post
    1. a 2nd on Dark Canyon

2. I love the Ryder/Mcfeeders lake area of the Uintas (my dog is now named Ryder)
    And out comes the best "secret" spot in the Uintas.

I went up to Ryder about 10 years ago. It wasn't intentional as my wife and I were b.s.'ing, and I think maybe hiking at night. Either way, we ended up at Ryder. Great scenery, great fishing, solitude, elk bugling, the whole package.

DesertDuke, where at in Idaho you located? I'm a Boise transplant and if there is anything I miss about Idaho, its the weekend hiking and not seeing a soul.

I agree with Denaliguide. I LOVED Lost Canyon Loop I came in through Squaw Canyon, awesome. And there are lots of other options. Peekaboo, Elephant Canyon. These are all located in Canyonlands Needles District. I'm Jonesing to go there right now!!!
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Naturalist Basin - Uintas.

Nhopkin mentioned this as part of a 3 day, but that's a ton of walking in that trip he listed. Id do naturalist, camp, summit one of the 3 peaks, then bail out on day 3.

Also, Brown duck lake area. (even tho I hate the rocky ass trail up to it) its very nice once your'e up by the lakes, also in the Uintas.

Quote Originally Posted by tomertim View Post

DesertDuke, where at in Idaho you located? I'm a Boise transplant and if there is anything I miss about Idaho, its the weekend hiking and not seeing a soul.
    The I.F. area, and it is easy to get away from the crowd around here......just as long as I don't hike to upper Palisades that is.

did a nice snowshoeing/backpacking trip this past weekend. went to norway flats up in the uintas. go through kamas 10.5 miles to the norway flats trailhead on the left side. there put on backpack and snowshoes and go about four miles up to the yurt owned by the utah nordic alliance (tuna). there are four sets of bunk beds, wood burning stove, gas stove for cooking, and a gas lantern. it really is beautiful up there and the yurt warms up really well. last year i took the 14-15 year old boys from my church. it took us three hours. last weekend i went with two marathoner friends of mine and they kicked my butt. it only took 1:45 with those guys. coming down it only took 1:02. great trip and wonderful snow. it was so nice to get out of the valley haze.
    "scars are tattoos with better stories"