Thread: Hamping, Hammock Camping

Hamping, Hammock Camping

any body in here who camps with a hammock? i just bought an ENO double wide and took it out on a 3 day/2 niter, it was wondrous i highly recommend it over packing in a sleeping pad and sleeping on the uncomfy ground.

here is a pic of my hammock:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

the hammock is a must for me. This one only costs around 6 bucks at walmart.

I've always had a hard time sleeping in them though. They're just necessary to put the feet up after the walk in.

I bought a hammock in Tiajuana that I have used camping a couple of times when I go car camping, but it is kind of a pain to put up.

I have a rich uncle that has a hammock by his pool, and when I was a kid I always wanted one, once I got the hammock I realized that I did not have a place to really use it, but one day I intend to build my own cabin, and will use it then more hopefully.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

for those of you who are not intune with your inner hamping desire, your missing out.

i intend to invent a way to set up hammocks easier, i got it all figured out, will let you all know when i sell my prototype to eno and make millions.

Hate to burst your bubble here but there already hammock stands if that is what you were thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Hate to burst your bubble here but there already hammock stands if that is what you were thinking of.

haha, i'm talkin about a portable hammock hanging time saver... details coming soon.

I've got some Eno stuff too. I've tried sleeping in it a few times, but found the bottom too cold, and haven't quite figured out how to efficiently get in and out, while using a sleeping pad (for bottom insulation) and a sleeping bag. I don't hesitate to bring it along on backpacking trips where I know I'll be able to hang it up because there is nothing better than chilling in a hammock after a long day on the trail.

One of the times I tried to sleep in it, was down in Moab, and the wind picked up and was just swinging me back and forth incessantly...I gave up and slept in my truck.
    Mike

I have a hammock I use when camping, but I can't sleep in it because of the rocking motion, and I sleep on my side. It's just a cheap $20 Brazilian style hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    I've got some Eno stuff too. I've tried sleeping in it a few times, but found the bottom too cold, and haven't quite figured out how to efficiently get in and out, while using a sleeping pad (for bottom insulation) and a sleeping bag. I don't hesitate to bring it along on backpacking trips where I know I'll be able to hang it up because there is nothing better than chilling in a hammock after a long day on the trail.

One of the times I tried to sleep in it, was down in Moab, and the wind picked up and was just swinging me back and forth incessantly...I gave up and slept in my truck.
    hm, i haven't gotten cold in mine yet, i don't use a sleeping pad either, just a sleeping back & liner.

And SLCmountianjunkie i sleep on my side aswell, but as i said i sleep like a rock so it doesn't affect me once i'm asleep. you have to set the dang thing up right though, as tight/flat as possible, droopy sleeping hammocks are bad for the neck/back etc.

I just recently bought one, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm going to Havasupai again in a couple of weeks, and that will probably where & when I lose my hamping virginity. We'll see how it goes.

I have a rich uncle that has a hammock by his pool, and when I was a kid I always wanted one, once I got the hammock I realized that I did not have a place to really use it, but one day I intend to build my own cabin, and will use it then more hopefully.
    What you must do is build a pool so you can put your hammock next to it ;-)
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I love hammocks but I couldn't sleep in one unless conditions were almost perfect or I was tired enough. Now a NAP.....different story. I could nap anywhere. Good luck with your new hammock!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is a link to a forum for all the info anyone could ever want to know about camping with hammocks: From how to minimize convection (keeping your butt warm) to setting up on the ground when above timberlines. Check out the DIY forums for some great ideas for camping general too.

http://hammockforums.net/

thats cool, thanks man.
    they have a forum for everything these days!

I've got a Hennessy Hammock that we've come to nickname the "bear burrito". I used it for the first time in the Grandaddy Basin last year at about 40 degrees and froze my arse off. The sleeping bag insulation of course compresses beneath your body weight, but instead of a sleeping pad or mat to provide insulation, you have the night air beneath your back.

After that experience I'll only use it on warm desert nights. I also prefer to use it only without the fly, for I feel a bit claustrophobic in it.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow

What you must do is build a pool so you can put your hammock next to it ;-)

I just saw this, and thought it was funny!

I haven't slept in one for years. I used to quite often. My feet get cold sometimes and frosty nights are cold to wake up to.
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.

Im all for hammock camping! Iv been working on building one, I never found one I really liked, so I been designing them, we are on proto type number 12 or some damned thing, each one gets better, the only real problem is that bottom insulation for cold nights. that cold air under you is horrid and when ya lay on the insulation it mashes down and then the insulation factor is gone. However a pocket under the bag for a closed cell pad, then a down back on the inside of the bag and my sleeping bag over that... next one will have a sew in pocket for the down bag to be slid into so its not so bad to sleep on.
    I test mine in the back yard :D once I get it how I want it and a bottom hanging pocket in it for muddy shoes and a better rain fly design for a vestibule, then Im heading to the hills!

I finally made it hamping. The hammock was def a god-send, however I have to agree with a few other posts, that sleeping through the night is a bit difficult. I took it to Havasupai, (we actually had a hammock colony) where it was blazing hot, and naps were GREAT in it, and it kept the temp at night quite pleasant, since we weren't in a sauna room (aka tent). But I think my trees were a bit close, so it wasn't as comfy for extended sleeping as I would have liked. Still, it was worth it, and I will def use it more in the future (especially for naps, and to get my feet up)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I bought a hammock in Tiajuana that I have used camping a couple of times when I go car camping, but it is kind of a pain to put up.
    Was it made of hemp?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1