Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Country Ropeman

Details:

Wild Country Ropeman 2 (8.4mm - 11mm) and 1 (11mm-12mm). Both rated at 400kg

- a hefty 3-4 ozs each
    - can act as an ascender and/or a progress capture device (pcd) when creating haul or lower systems
    - is spring loaded so resetting is not something you always have to do unlike the tiblocs (but something you are always looking at anyway)
    - has an axle that the rope moves around unlike the tibloc which uses the attached karabiner
    - may be used in tandem on two strands of rope and are secured to both ropes by one karabiner for cut and lower scenario
    - has a wire leash for attaching to karabiner (not load bearing)

Those are a few of the ways we used them. I'm sure there are more.

As I said earlier - I'm sold!
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce
    Details:

Wild Country Ropeman 2 (8.4mm - 11mm) and 1 (11mm-12mm). Both rated at 400kg

- a hefty 3-4 ozs each
    - can act as an ascender and/or a progress capture device (pcd) when creating haul or lower systems
    - is spring loaded so resetting is not something you always have to do unlike the tiblocs (but something you are always looking at anyway)
    - has an axle that the rope moves around unlike the tibloc which uses the attached karabiner
    - may be used in tandem on two strands of rope and are secured to both ropes by one karabiner for cut and lower scenario
    - has a wire leash for attaching to karabiner (not load bearing)

Those are a few of the ways we used them. I'm sure there are more.

As I said earlier - I'm sold!
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting a pair of these. I just use prusik cords now. How has the spring held up? I remember reading Tom Jones post over on the canyons group that fine sand can get into the spring and jam it up. So not the most durable, thought he still likes them.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/9956

Sorry to send this off topic. I want to know.

Back on topic. Other ways to overcome . . .

I split this topic off as it appears to have it's own merits. Please keep your arms and legs in and enjoy the ride...

I loved my ropemen. But beware. The little keeper loop will catch on everything. I would keep a pair on the back harness loop. Over time the little loops got abit frayed and sometime last year in zion the little cables must have snapped on something and now there are two ropemen somewhere in zion. If you find them I want them back.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Wild Country introduced the Ropeman back in 96 or 97 ?? Petzl introduced the Tibloc in 2001 ?? Because the Ropeman has moving parts it is subject to gunking up with grit ... just like carabiners, etc. But this minor inconvenience is far outweighed by its benefits.

Ropeman is less subject to user error. Spring keeps it in place - it won't slide down the rope when unweighted. Less likely to slip and create a shock load that can damage rope sheath. Etc. Etc.

Can be used in a few different ways for ascending. My favorite involves attaching Ropeman to carabiner on harness and rigging foot-loop ascender above. Step up in foot-loop as you pull rope up through Ropeman. With foot-loop above it is easier to pass overhanging lips.

The problem with the keeper wire can be avoided (or reduced) by not clipping it into the carabiner when rigged as pictured in the Wild Country literature. I don't use it for anything except occasionally pulling back on it to release the cam from the rope.

Note: Ropeman 2 is the one to consider as it will work on thinner ropes. Wild Country says down to 8.5mm. Will work on 8mm, too, but you might consider using a fatter carabiner such as Petzl Attache when using with 8mm.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild
    Note: Ropeman 2 is the one to consider as it will work on thinner ropes. Wild Country says down to 8.5mm. Will work on 8mm, too, but you might consider using a fatter carabiner such as Petzl Attache when using with 8mm.
    Thanks Rich. That was my question when I saw the specs. I pretty much stick with 8mm ropes. I'm going to check these things out for sure now.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Thanks Rich. That was my question when I saw the specs. I pretty much stick with 8mm ropes. I'm going to check these things out for sure now.
    All things considered, Tiblocs work better. Quite a bit better.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card

Tom
    Oh I am so confused. I guess I got to get with you experts and learn this stuff better.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia

Tom
    It depends. For the average person, the Ropeman works better. Quite a bit better. With much practice, the Tibloc will work as well and for a few things it will work better, but only a little better.

I'll be offering some free ascending workshops soon. All participants will be encouraged to play around with both devices and I will provide training in the use of both. Willing to bet the majority will find the Ropeman more user friendly.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

One thing I like about the Ropeman II: it doesn't slip down the rope when you don't want it to...a nice feature when ascending or self-lining.

One thing I like about the TIBLOC: it can slip down the rope when you want it to...a nice feature when passing a knot.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    One thing I like about the TIBLOC: it can slip down the rope when you want it to...
    Lately we have been using a "Tibloc slide down the rope" trick for escaping keeper potholes.....

1. Tie you rope to a pot shot and toss it over the far side of the keeper pothole.

2. Clip a Tibloc to the rope and attach an aidder to the biner.

3. Hold the rope over you head and the Tibloc with the aidder should slide down the rope to the far side lip of the pothole and provide a nice escape.

4. Note that no one has enter the water yet, which means no one gets cold. The complete escape is setup from the upstream side of the pothole.

5. climb into the pothole and climb out your already established exit.

We have only used this technique a couple of times to date.... but so far we have had a 100% success rate.

That is a slick trick Shane. Thanks. Saves me from my fear of dropping stuff while in the pot hole when I am trying to hook stuff up to the pot shot rope.
    Life is Good

FWIW: During the recent Swift Water Course in Arizona I ascended about 30 feet up a rope with tiblocs and I had to be very conscious of ensuring that the tibloc was set before weighting it. In fact I would set it, then weight it with a partial load to ensure fully grabbing the rope and then when I was sure I would apply full load. With the Rope Man this was not necessary, thus providing me that extra bit confidence that I could take the next step up the rope.
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

FWIW: During the recent Swift Water Course in Arizona I ascended about 30 feet up a rope with tiblocs and I had to be very conscious of ensuring that the tibloc was set before weighting it. In fact I would set it, then weight it with a partial load to ensure fully grabbing the rope and then when I was sure I would apply full load.
    That is a non-issue if you run the rope back through the biner.... I think Hank calls this "The German Method". I'd be curious to know why Petzl doesn't recommend that method as it eliminates the setting problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    FWIW: During the recent Swift Water Course in Arizona I ascended about 30 feet up a rope with tiblocs and I had to be very conscious of ensuring that the tibloc was set before weighting it. In fact I would set it, then weight it with a partial load to ensure fully grabbing the rope and then when I was sure I would apply full load.
    That is a non-issue if you run the rope back through the biner.... I think Hank calls this "The German Method". I'd be curious to know why Petzl doesn't recommend that method as it eliminates the setting problem.
    Not true. Tibloc can still slip down the rope.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

OK, let me re-phrase that.... the German Method greatly reduces the problem of rope slip.... and I'd still like to know why Petzl doesn't recommend the German Method more, I'm guessing there is a reason?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    OK, let me re-phrase that.... the German Method greatly reduces the problem of rope slip.... and I'd still like to know why Petzl doesn't recommend the German Method more, I'm guessing there is a reason?

Because.... wait for it... They are FRENCH!

If the German's figured it out, then the French would never admit it is a better technique.

Tom

OK, let me re-phrase that.... the German Method greatly reduces the problem of rope slip.
    Still not true. Get rid of the word "greatly" and replace it with "slightly".
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Bogley BigShot
    OK, let me re-phrase that.... the German Method greatly reduces the problem of rope slip.
    Still not true. Get rid of the word "greatly" and replace it with "slightly".

You can rest when you're dead