Thread: Knotted Rope & Quandary - April 2008

Knotted Rope & Quandary - April 2008

We headed for the Swell after work Thursday! The group consisted of myself, a couple army buddies; Cody A, and Gonzo, and my ex-bro-in-law Josh.
    We were joined Friday night by a couple more army buddies; Tsuya, and Huber.
    We camped near the Hidden Splendor airfield which turned out to be really, really windy all weekend. I lost my sleeping bag stuff sack (it's black and has a moonstone label if you happen across it) and had a few restless nights sleep due to wind noise and tent problems We gave up on the tent after a night and just slept out under the stars.
    Aside from the wind the weather was great, mid to high 70s during the day and 40's at night.
    Friday we did Knotted Rope Canyon, also known as Miners Hollow. We made a rookie mistake early on; we got excited about being out and went past the turn and into Quandary Canyon. We quickly realized our mistake and backtracked to the turn off.
    There was very little water in the canyon. We didn't get wet at all until near the end of the canyon where there was an unavoidable pothole, but it was only about knee deep and was quickly exited with buddy assistance. We avoided the 280 foot rappel into Muddy Creek because we are less experienced with long raps. From below it looked fantastic and I would love to go back to try it sometime...
    That long slog back to camp through the Muddy Creek Gorge was beautiful, but seemed endless after Knotted Rope.

Saturday we ran into two pairs of canyoneers at the Knotted Rope/Quandary trail head. One pair headed for Knotted Rope, the other pair walked with our group awhile, even took a group picture of us at the natural bridge, but they pulled ahead of us while we played around at an obstacle and we didn't see them again.
    We did not do the direct route, and quite enjoyed the view found at the high point of the bypass. As with Knotted Rope there was very little water in the canyon; we did not get wet at all until I jumped into Muddy Creek.
    The wind was rough Saturday. There were times in Quandary when we all wished we had brought goggles to keep the sand out of our eyes. I loved that tilted section in Quandary, but did not get pictures of it... next time.

We had planned to do Music Canyon on Sunday, but after having our asses handed to us by Knotted Rope and Quandary we opted for lunch at the Little Wonder cafe in Richfield and a long soak at Mystic Mike's hot springs in Monroe.

I loved every scraping, bruising, aching moment and can't wait to get back!

Photos in Knotted Rope:

Josh coming out of Wayne's Wiggle.

On top of Wayne's Wiggle.

Josh working the pipes.

Cody stemming.

Gonzo sitting.

In Quandary.

Group shot.

I look nervous.

Tsuya laughing all the way down.

Cody coming down.

Love this shot.

On top of the bypass route.

Muddy Creek slog, but happy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Hi Don,

Wonderful trip report and photos. I am so glad you showed us your mug too! I like to have a face to go with the id.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Hi Don,

Wonderful trip report and photos. I am so glad you showed us your mug too! I like to have a face to go with the id.
    I've been keeping out of the photos until I finished testifying against the mob. Now that they're in jail I should be safe. Right?

Bogley BigShot
    awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    I've been keeping out of the photos until I finished testifying against the mob. Now that they're in jail I should be safe. Right?
    Yeah..... your safe, right up to the minute the ladies of bogley get there hands on you.... They seem to have a thing for the big strapping manly types.... hmmm... come to think of it.... better watch out for Alex also.....

Thanks for the pictures and TR

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Yeah..... your safe, right up to the minute the ladies of bogley get there hands on you.... They seem to have a thing for the big strapping manly types.... hmmm... come to think of it.... better watch out for Alex also.....

Thanks for the pictures and TR

Busted

Umm, why me? Don is a good looking lad though, manly and strong!

Thanks for the TR man, great to have pics to go with

BTW, where is this at? Is that Henry mountains in the background?

Shane, when are we doing these canyons? Us noobs want to see it!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Umm, why me? Don is a good looking lad though, manly and strong!

Thanks for the TR man, great to have pics to go with

Yeah Shane! How could you say that about Alex?

Alex only has eyes for you.

Great TR! Thanks for sharing Don.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Alex

South West corner of the San Rafael Swell very near the old Hidden Splendor Mine and Hidden Splendor Airfield seen on most maps.
    Those are the Henry Mountains in the far background of a couple pictures. Between them and us Factory Butte and the North Caneville Mesa can also be seen.
    Trail guides:
    http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell/
    or
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/index.htm (Shane's site requires a fee to get the good stuff, but does have quite good info).

(Shane's site requires a fee to get the good stuff, but does have quite good info).
    Thanks bud

Oh and I am a paying customer too.... Shane provides lots of good services!

Very nice TR! It's been a while since we had a good TR with photos. Thanks a bunch!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Great report and wonderful pictures!!!

Alex scares me sometimes.....

Last time we stood on top of a big rock and peed together I think I saw him looking at my daddy parts....

Just messin' with you Alex.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Alex scares me sometimes.....

Last time we stood on top of a big rock and peed together I think I saw him looking at my daddy parts....
    Move this to the bin, I hate hijacking TRs, but in response:

Dude... like my ma always said, it doesn't matter where you get your appetite as far as you get dinner at home

Re: TR: Knotted Rope & Quandary - April 2008

We did not do the direct route, and quite enjoyed the view found at the high point of the bypass.
    That is an awesome view.... I took this picture from the By-Pass and it's one of my favorites.

I love that picture too. That picture is what what got me into Quandry Direct. It wasn't as bad as it looks.

I always wondered if those fellas in the photo forgot a little something....... THE ROPE?
    Life is Good