Thread: Need Info: Northern San Rafael Swell

Need Info: Northern San Rafael Swell

We're planning an overnight backpack in the northern San Rafael Swell in 2 weeks and I'd like to solicit the group's advice. I'll be heading down with two buddies and my wife, who's never backpacked before.

Requirements:

1. Reliable water. We've got filters, and prefer to travel light.
    2. Easy. It's important to make this a pleasurable experience for my wife. She's no outdoors goddess, but I'm working on it.
    3. Scenic.
    4. Secluded. I don't like seeing anyone else until I get back to the truck.
    5. A reasonable drive from SLC. We'd be heading down Saturday morning and coming back Sunday night, so we'd have to keep it somewhat close to home.

One idea I've got is to head west on a dirt road my map shows just south of the San Rafael Bridge on CR 332 (the Buckhorn Wash Road) at Road Draw. It appears to end after a couple of miles, which is where I'd plan to park. I'd then like to follow the river for a few miles further west into the floor of the Little Grand Canyon to camp near the river southeast of the Wedge Overlook. I've posted a topo below.

Questions:
    1. Is that road heading west into Road Draw passable for a 4X4? It isn't gated, is it?
    2. What about the proposed hiking route? Are there any spots along the south bank of the river where the river washes against the cliff in a bed, making dry navigation difficult?
    3. What are the flows like right now?
    4. Any other spots likely to be impassable on foot, like Cane Wash?
    5. Am I likely to see others in there?
    6. Is there anything of historical significance that we'll see in there?

I'm also very open to other destinations in the area.

Looking forward to reading the replies!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Need Info: Northern San Rafael Swell

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTracks
    1. Is that road heading west into Road Draw passable for a 4X4? It isn't gated, is it?
    I think the road is passable by most vehicles--I drove part of the way down it in my truck a couple of months ago and it was just fine. I do believe that it's closed less than a mile in, however.

2. What about the proposed hiking route? Are there any spots along the south bank of the river where the river washes against the cliff in a bed, making dry navigation difficult?
    There's a trail through the canyon, and according to this page, the trail crosses the river 15 times between Fuller Bottom and the San Rafael bridge at the south end of Buckhorn Wash. You may need to go prepared for crossing the river.

3. What are the flows like right now?
    I camped along the river three miles downstream this past weekend, and flows were relatively low. There were places where I could cross on foot and only get wet just above my ankles, other places would have been waist deep.

4. Any other spots likely to be impassable on foot, like Cane Wash?
    Cane Wash should be dry. I think your main concern will be crossing the San Rafael River (if you plan on following the trail).

5. Am I likely to see others in there?
    Yeah, this time of year there will definitely be others. Even during the middle of last week, the entire area was crawling with people camped all alongside the roads through Buckhorn Wash and along the river east of the campground. The weekend was even more crowded.

6. Is there anything of historical significance that we'll see in there?
    There are some pictographs in the area, but I'm not sure exactly where--the website I linked above describes where some of them are.

That looks like a really great hike, one I've been wanting to do for a couple of years, but the whole river crossing thing has deterred me so far. Plus, I'm not much of a backpacker, but more into day hikes. If you go, let us know how it goes.

Re: Need Info: Northern San Rafael Swell

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    That looks like a really great hike, one I've been wanting to do for a couple of years, but the whole river crossing thing has deterred me so far.
    After posting that message I went to REI last night and picked up a book (Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau by Michael Kelsey -- they didn't have his San Rafael Swell guide). He covers the San Rafael Gorge in the book. Apparently all of those crossings are west of the Virgin Spring Canyon intersection, so we should be dry going as far as we are and doubling back to the car.

I'm kind of bummed, though, about your comments regarding crowds. Any better ideas out there for a destination?

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    If you go, let us know how it goes.
    Of course!

Wow Udink! Nice response.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Wow Udink! Nice response.
    Yes. DiscGo, thank you for reminding me to express my thanks to Udink as well. I need to brush up on my social graces.

TR: San Rafael Gorge

Better late than never, eh?

I'll let the photos do the talking. As planned buddy Todd and I went last weekend to the Little Grand Canyon within the northern part of the San Rafael Swell. I've geotagged a bunch of the photos and added them to Google Earth in the attached file.

Our trailhead parking just west of the San Rafael Bridge had only two other cars parked there upon our arrival mid-morning on Saturday, and there was only one other vehicle there when we left at mid-day on Sunday. On Saturday we encountered only two parties of day hikers (two each, and both were not far into the canyon), plus the pictured pair of canoeists floating downstream past our camp. On Sunday we only encountered one overnight party of two hikers who passed our camp heading downcanyon as we were breaking camp ourselves, and one pair of dayhikers heading in as we were heading out.

That's it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why don't you just get in the truck and go? Explore. Figure it out as you go. Forget what the dweebs on here say, discover it for yourself.

HT

Quote Originally Posted by Htoad
    Forget what the dweebs on here say
    The man thong is wrong.

The pics did tell the story, looks like a great time!

We were down there the same weekend, camping on the opposite side of the bridge (couple miles east on the Mexican Mtn Rd). We ended up hiking atop Calf Mesa.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpUt
    The pics did tell the story, looks like a great time!

We were down there the same weekend, camping on the opposite side of the bridge (couple miles east on the Mexican Mtn Rd). We ended up hiking atop Calf Mesa.
    It was a great weekend, wasn't it?

Did you post pics? I'd love to see that corner of the Swell.