Thread: Goblin Valley and LWH (pics)

Goblin Valley and LWH (pics)

I did a family camping trip down to Goblin Valley and LWH. The weather was great on Friday, but on Saturday the winds picked up and it was very dusty. We stayed until Sunday and enjoyed the warm weather.

LWH was a freeway as always, a ton of scouts were trumping through the canyon. I am just amazed to see so many people going into the canyon with no water, wearing sandles and black cotton clothes and actually making it out ok with out a heat stroke or injury!

Goblin Valley campground was booked since Thursday, so if you are trying to go down there, either make sure you have a reservation or be prepared to do some BLM camping. I love this one spot on the way to LWH, it's right along the road and under the ridge, there are a lot of camp spots here, fairly private too:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...90895&t=p&z=14

Bring lots of water, there isn't much shade and the sun is brutal. The cost to get into GV is $7 per vehicle now. A year state park is $75 (I bought one). You can fill the water for free from the Ranger's Station/pay booth at Goblin Valley, but it well water, so you get a big of sand in it... just adds to the taste. There are also very clean flush toilets in the same building, which you can use for free as well, doesn't require entrance to the park.

Here are some pics:

My kid had to scale every possible wall he could find along the way:

Just another wall and mom spotting:

Finally in the slot, yes, my kid scaled this right after the picture taking as well:

The proud dad of a soon to be canyoneer:

As soon as we paused for a picture, he is off again to scale another wall!:

Why walk when you can crawl:

I was able to make him sit for another shot:

Exhausted and excited to sleep in his own sleeping bag, my kido Max:

The next morning, the breakfast of little champions, hot chocolate:

We are "roughing" it:

Off to Goblin Valley during the dust storm:

Unlimited kids playground:

DO not leave any rocks unturned, or holes uncrawled!:

Back to LWH for more exploring and scaling:

Yup, more scaling:

On the wall again:

The boys had to wait for the rest of the family to catch up.... on the wall again:

And at the end of the day, a nice steak with some red wine, while it's blowing at 40mph outside

LWH and Goblin Valley never gets old to me, even though there are a zillion and a half people in there. As you can see from pics, we found enough privacy to make it fun.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    What an adorable family!!!!

Looks like lots of Fun!

Awesome photos! I loved this hike with my kiddos also. Perfect day!!

That was a textbook trip report. N00bs take notes.

Nice pics and fam. I'm glad to see another popup tent family here on the boards. Are there others?

It's always fun to sit in the wind at Goblin inside a popup.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    It's always fun to sit in the wind at Goblin inside a popup.
    After sitting in the dust storm in the car in Canyon Lands for over 4 hours straight, I went straight to the dealer and got one of those bad boys. I never regretted it. We still cook outside, prep food outside, but when the wind/rain comes up, the pop up tent is one awesome invention.

Oh and hey Alex........I see a bottle of pink fluff there in the dinner photo. Better be a White Zin and NOT Strawberry Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Strawberry Hill.
    Guilty as charged We like the cheapo wine

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Strawberry Hill.
    Guilty as charged We like the cheapo wine

SOOOO BUSTED!!!!!!! Red wine my ass. HAHA!! It's ok, I fit into the cheap wine lover category also.

Nice pictures. One thing I have learned from this website is I want to get a lot of pictures of my son in the air. That picture where you kid is jumping down is cool. I also love the pictures of your kids popping up out of the goblins. Thanks for posting these.

oh, and what time did you go through Little Wild Horse? The lighting seems perfect for your pictures.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Looks like you and the family had a great time. The photos are terrific!

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Thanks for the compliments , it makes taking pictures a joy

DiscGo, both times we went through it in the afternoon. Even if it's hot as hell in the valley, the slot stays very nice and cool. I wouldn't recommend going right at noon though, the sun will be baking.

I have been in during the afternoon and my pictures have not turned out as well.

Maybe we should go to together sometime Alex and you can show me how it is done.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I have been in during the afternoon and my pictures have not turned out as well.

Maybe we should go to together sometime Alex and you can show me how it is done.
    Hehe, dude I wish I knew how it's done, I just point and shoot. Quantity over quality

FYI, I took about 250 shots in 3 days that trip.

Nice TR! My family was down there this past weekend as well. We camped in the same area as you even! I will post a TR when I remember to bring my camera to work.
    The man thong is wrong.

Jaxx, like I said in the past, our minds think alike dude, I am excited to finally meet you in Zion in June

And I'd like to read your story with pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Jaxx, like I said in the past, our minds think alike dude, I am excited to finally meet you in Zion in June

And I'd like to read your story with pics!
    Yeah, it's going to be awesome meeting everyone. I didn't want to type up the TR without pics and like a dummy I forgot my camera again. Mabey I'll remember on monday.
    The man thong is wrong.