Thread: North Wash

North Wash

I just got back from my first trip to North Wash, I ended up doing the east fork of leprechaun, Blarney and Lucky Charms. Thanks to those who gave me advice, I was able to go with a little more confidence and really enjoyed the canyons.

The canyons were completely dry and all of the anchors set up and pretty straightforward. It was really windy, especially on Tuesday when we were sand blasted in Leprechaun, but it was kind of interesting seeing and feeling how the wind can take part in sculpting the canyons.

Here are some pictures

Leprechaun
    Blarney

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't see any pics, but thanks for the TR

Thankz for sharin'

Lookz like a fun time waz had by allz
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I don't see any pics, but thanks for the TR
    links to my Picasa album at the bottom

Oh you mean I have to CLICK on the link!

I feel dumb now

They weren't red at first, it wasn't obvious as a link, someone changed it for me.

I've missed a few links on this site myself.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    nice pics Jim, see ya Sun.

Looks like you got a couple nice pictures in Leprechaun.... I love slot pictures where the canyon walls look warm....

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    so which dude are you?
    From an earlier thread he wrote
    My main concern is how skinny the slots get, I'm not very big but my canyon partner is slightly larger than average.
    I assume that means he is the skinny bearded one.

Yeah, that would be me

Nice! Glad you guys had a good time.

So what did you think about the canyons? How did you like Lucky Charms? (That one seemed to have the most diverse recommendations on the pre-trip conversations...)

Take care,
    A.J.

LOL... just admit it AJ, lucky charms sucks
    it's merely a belt notching route and you know it

I think Lucky Charms is pretty, it has some great color, that's why I betaed it to begin with....... but It's certainly not a "Destination Canyon" by any stretch of the imagination.

I definitely agree with Shane, that I wouldn't plan a trip just to do Lucky Charms, but I don't agree that it sucks. It's a good intro canyon for sure. It's pretty, it has some tight spots, or alternatively some high spots that are pretty easy stems. It has some fun upclimbs that aren't too difficult, an optional 200' rappel, and some fun downclimbs on the other side; and it all comes in a short package. Could definitely serve as a "check out the skills" canyon; and still tack on more stuff afterwards based on the results...

Personally, I really like that first big upclimb too; very fun chimney work...

I really enjoyed the canyons, they weren't as tight as I expected but probably about as tight as my parter was comfortable with. I went up the main fork for a bit (Belfast blvd?) and it got me pretty excited to check it out from the top, I'll have to find another parter for it though. Blarney was great, a pretty short and easy approach and the entire canyon was very enjoyable, I didn't have to scrape against the walls much at all.

Lucky charms was interesting and I'm glad to have done it, although I don't see myself doing it again unless I use it to show a beginner what some of the up/down climbing is like in the bigger canyons. Going up was pretty fun but coming back down was nothing special. It looked like you could of had an interesting shallow slot if entering the top of the canyon and brought a rope. I also saw the bolts that must anchor that 200' rappel, it looked pretty big.

Yeah, Blarney isn't that tight, nor is Shilellaugh; but they are both nice. Fun downclimbs. If you are looking for really tight; then the Leps are your game, or some of the stuff to the North. Especially Shennanigans.

I wouldn't recommend using the bolts on that tower if that's what you saw. Much easier to sling a boulder and go down the watercourse. Much easier start without precarious bolts...

I did go down the head of that canyon too; can be downclimbed up to that last drop. There is a large rock that can be slung for the last drop. Nothing special; you can see it from the rap point.

I thought the downclimbs were still fun and challenging down the pothole canyons section. We didn't do the bypass and just downclimbed those. Not too horribly interesting, but still fun.

Although, I just like to be outdoors. I'm still having fun even if it's a blizzard, so YMMV. ;)