Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starving Dog = Art

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    bleeding heart liberal who drove 4 hours on a work day to save some damn bird in a canyon...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    i find it comical and ironic that your reaction to this cruelty is with cruelty.

"blah blah blah...he let this dog die, so lets kill him"

how does this make you any better?
    it's interesting that you equate a human life to that of a mangy dog...
    By no means and I'm a PETA advocate, but dogs are not cruel, nor is just about any other animal in this world. People are cruel, we are by nature. We see something cruel and unusual done to a child or a loved one, we're the first ones to jump on that bandwagon to see the same or more is placed against them. The good ole' court system is a perfect example of us making sure the bad guys gets what's coming to them.

This isn't a survival of the fittest, the dog was taken out of it's environment and depraved food and water, starved and dehydrated to death. Emaciated.

I don't know if you ever seen a dog suffer from this, it's not pleasant. There is that point of no return, but that dog is still up and around.

I don't think it makes us "BETTER" say stoning the artist, but there is that satisfaction that man knows all too well, not the animal kingdom.

Where is the art in suffering? Where is the art in being inhumane? Feed the dog a little at night so its body shut down doesn't begin. I find no art in a mangy dog being purposely starved and dehydrated or a letting a bird die is some canyon. I don't look at either of these animals as human, so there is a huge difference. Raptors ars raptors, humans are humans and dogs are dogs. If that dog fell trough some ice and died, so be it. But having it tied down to soley watch it die in the name of art is ridiculous.

Throwing rocks at the artist and the blood having medium impact spatter against the wall behind him would be perfect art

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

wow, nothing like a shot gun response, let's focus JP, you're all over the place with that post...

so you pick up a starving dog on the street and don't feed it? and call it art? thats just b.s. if you are not going to help it out then the thing to do is put it out of it's misery. to watch the suffering of this animal as art would mean that the nazi's were the greatest artists of all time.

i realize that in other parts of the world pets and dogs in particular don't hold the same place socially as they do in the u.s.. when i lived in alaska, i used to have a team of sled dogs. 13 of them to be exact. they were certainly not pets. more like livestock. but i still didn't go out and kick them or starve them.

p.s. to describe me as a liberal would be a gross miscaracture (sp). my wife calls me her jack booted thug conservative.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Not really. Stavring an animal and calling it art.

richard,

just because we kill and eat animals doesn't mean that we can't treat them well humanely. after all man is a carnivore. and eating meat is not what makes you fat. its just plain eating too much. nice try though.

i could almost be a vegatarian. just that vegetables don't bleed enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    so you pick up a starving dog on the street and don't feed it? and call it art? thats just b.s. if you are not going to help it out then the thing to do is put it out of it's misery. to watch the suffering of this animal as art would mean that the nazi's were the greatest artists of all time.
    now we're finally getting somewhere

why is there such condemnation for the "artist" and not for those that patronized the gallery?
    at any point in time, someone could have done something, and they did nothing. no one helped that dog and it died. it's not just the "artists" fault, it's everyone who witnessed it as well.

my point with the "bird" correlation, is that even though i do consider this "art", i'm also someone who did something when no one else would.
    (alex not encluded :) )

this is an interesting example of human behavior and in it's extreme sense "art". you may not agree with it, but i think it's valid.

richard,

just because we kill and eat animals doesn't mean that we can't treat them well humanely. after all man is a carnivore. and eating meat is not what makes you fat. its just plain eating too much. nice try though.

Well, it would be nice if we treated our food animals humanely, but modern livestock is treated with great cruelty. You'd have to be living in some sort of incredibly naive fantasy world to imagine that chickens, for example, are treated well before they are slaughtered. In fact, they are debeaked, then crammed into huge buildings with up to 200,000 other birds, in cages that allow them no movement and often damage their feet.

The situations for other livestock animals isn't much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_farming

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    richard,

Well, it would be nice if we treated our food animals humanely, but modern livestock is treated with great cruelty. You'd have to be living in some sort of incredibly naive fantasy world to imagine that chickens, for example, are treated well before they are slaughtered. In fact, they are debeaked, then crammed into huge buildings with up to 200,000 other birds, in cages that allow them no movement and often damage their feet.

The situations for other livestock animals isn't much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_farming
    naive? not likely.

i understand that factory farming is not humane. i don't buy veal becausse of the conditions in which a large portion of the calves are raised.

which is why i either buy free range when possible or preferably kill my own meat.

you also forgot to mention that besides being debeaked the chickens have been genetically modified to have few if any feathers. makes for easier plucking.

animal treatment does have room for improvement.

but to get back on track with the original thread. if i were to see this art form in some gallery i would have to go up and unchain the dog and take it home with me. damn the gallery and the artist and everyone who looked on and didn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    richard,

naive? not likely.

i understand that factory farming is not humane. i don't buy veal becausse of the conditions in which a large portion of the calves are raised.

which is why i either buy free range when possible or preferably kill my own meat.

you also forgot to mention that besides being debeaked the chickens have been genetically modified to have few if any feathers. makes for easier plucking.

animal treatment does have room for improvement.

but to get back on track with the original thread. if i were to see this art form in some gallery i would have to go up and unchain the dog and take it home with me. damn the gallery and the artist and everyone who looked on and didn't do anything.
    I can appreciate killing your own food. There is a certain natural synergy in that. I have always been moved by the ancient native American tradition of thanking the beast they have just killed.

I can also appreciate the idea of taking that poor dog home. I know my wife would never object to it, since she is the biggest animal lover I have ever known. In my previous responses I wasn't trying to justify the artist's actions. Ultimately they are his to own. I guess I was just trying to look at a bright side, if there is any. I think that everyone who witnessed this animal's suffering was, hopefully, moved by it, and in the end will be kinder to some animal sometime.

For anyone who advocates cruelty to punish cruelty, please consider the words of Mahatma Ghandhi: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum