Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 291

Thread: 2008 Zion Noobfest June 6-9 - See 1st post for info summary

  1. #21
    If anyone wants to expand the noob fest then step up and start organizing part of it. Tanya has done a good job of getting things rolling so far. I've said I would help out but I'm not in charge of this deal.... hell, I haven't even told my wife I'm going yet....

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Man, everyone is coming out of the woods, my vote goes to expand the people limit and split the noobfest trips into two or what not. Then get together at night for some bsing. I'd hate to turn folks away, especially the ones who have showed up to the events in the past and are reliable.
    This is quickly going the way of a "Tom's Fest." Which is not a bad thing. The way Tom manages his fests are just a common campspot/meeting area. The canyon trips are managed by those who are willing to lead, and those who sign up to those specific canyons. The experience level for each canyon is stated beforehand so that noobs know not to sign on to the experienced trips. I don't see a problem with mixing in a few experienced canyons as long as the experience level is stated before-hand, and there is enough leadership to go around.
    Do as you would be done by.

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    This is quickly going the way of a "Tom's Fest." Which is not a bad thing.
    Big Difference.... at a Tom Fest everyone is expected to have basic skills down.... we have folks coming with little or no skills....

    And that's it for me.... I'm stepping out of this thread.... you guys let me know what you have worked out when your finished organizing. I'm good with whatever you guys work out.


  5. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Big Difference.... at a Tom Fest everyone is expected to have basic skills down.... we have folks coming with little or no skills....

    And that's it for me.... I'm stepping out of this thread.... you guys let me know what you have worked out when your finished organizing. I'm good with whatever you guys work out.

    Sorry, didn't mean to stir things up. Shane, the trips I have been on that you organized always worked out really well. So, I'll just shut up and sit in the pick up line.


  6. #25
    Can we make this thread any more dramatic please?

    This isn't too difficult a thing to work out. The proposed canyons up to this point were:

    Non Permitted Canyons:

    1. Birch
    2. Red Cave
    3. Yankee Doodle
    4. Misery

    Permitted Canyons:

    1. Pine Creek
    2. Subway

    Up to this point we're fine. A few have proposed to do some canyons that are not noob friendly, which is fine in my opinion as long as someone is willing to step up to the plate and "lead" that canyon -- AND that everyone in this fest is well aware that it isn't a canyon for noobs.

    That said, those who want to do more technical canyons -- Step up, and throw down your name as a leader. Limit the group size, and only accept sign-ons that are competent.

    Personally, I would like to do something a little more technical one day. I could lead one day, and the other do something a little more meaty.
    Do as you would be done by.

  7. #26
    I didn't mean to make this dramatic... I'm just telling you guys the same thing I have said all along.... I'm not organizing this trip! It's up to you guys to get it done. I'll help where I can. I'll advise when asked.

    Tanya has done a nice job of organizing a list of who is coming.

    Several folks were working on getting permits and trips together for everyone. If you want to step up and put a trip together please do so.... but understand you are expected to take noobs on your trip and not strip the group of talent (which a Heaps type of trip would do).

    You guys still need someone to step up and handle camping arrangements....

    And when I said I was stepping out of the thread that just meant I was giving you guys some room to work.... so go for it....


  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

    Don't make me stop this noob-fest and come back there and smack you...

    I know Heaps is NOT suitable for noobs. I'm just suggesting that if there happens to be enough leadership to go around, then it might be possible to swing a run down Heaps or something of that calibre with a smaller, experienced crew. Just a thought.

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

    Don't make me stop this noob-fest and come back there and smack you...

    I know Heaps is NOT suitable for noobs. I'm just suggesting that if there happens to be enough leadership to go around, then it might be possible to swing a run down Heaps or something of that calibre with a smaller, experienced crew. Just a thought.

    I think it would be "OK" too, to have folks doing Big canyons and small canyons at noobfest, as long as noobs have some experienced people to go down suitable canyons with.

    I'll stick with the noobs, but I would want another experienced person with me. I'm mainly coming to meet you all and hang out at camp. I'd actually rather do easy/short canyons on this trip so I can maximize the hang out time.

    So if anyone wants to lead a canyon, and put me down as helper - I'm "in".

    I'd rather NOT become part of the organization team either. You don't want me organizing anything!

    My organizational skills are nearly as bad as my navigational skills.

    PS: I'll take a short request list if anyone wants anything from Trader Joes! Payment upon reciept will be required!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

  10. #29

    Subway Permit

    I've got a Subway permit for 8 people on the 7th. I applied for the lotter 3 months ago and just happened to get awarded the permit during the n00b fest. I'll probably have a couple spots open, i'll know more the closer we get.

  11. #30

    Re: Subway Permit

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide
    I've got a Subway permit for 8 people on the 7th. I applied for the lotter 3 months ago and just happened to get awarded the permit during the n00b fest. I'll probably have a couple spots open, i'll know more the closer we get.

    I haven't done the subway and would like to, so if you need a helper ~ here I am! Keep me in mind?
    Would you be looking at doing Das Boot as well?
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

  12. #31
    There are no more group sites available for Friday through Sunday. They do have 22 single sites available with 2 cars per site, overflow available for extra cars. The max # if people is 6 per site, 2 tents max per site.
    http://tinyurl.com/5n9zav
    http://tinyurl.com/5dlauh
    What are peoples thoughts on this. Do we want to try to reserve some sites or try to get us all in the misquito cove camp area? How many are planning on staying in a hotel? How many are planning on camping? Lets get a tally going.

    ok last edit: I am planning on camping. I have stayed at the misquito cove twice and haven't had a problem getting a spot, of course it was for 4 people for one night not 24 people for 3 nights.
    The man thong is wrong.

  13. #32
    Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    indoors wanting to be outdoors
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    There are no more group sites available for Friday through Sunday. They do have 22 single sites available with 2 cars per site, overflow available for extra cars. The max # if people is 6 per site, 2 tents max per site.
    http://tinyurl.com/5n9zav
    http://tinyurl.com/5dlauh
    What are peoples thoughts on this. Do we want to try to reserve some sites or try to get us all in the misquito cove camp area? How many are planning on staying in a hotel? How many are planning on camping?
    I'll be staying with relatives and drive in.

  14. #33
    Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    indoors wanting to be outdoors
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Man, everyone is coming out of the woods, my vote goes to expand the people limit and split the noobfest trips into two or what not. Then get together at night for some bsing. I'd hate to turn folks away, especially the ones who have showed up to the events in the past and are reliable.
    What about setting it up like a TomFest? Each 'leader' can pick a canyon, arrange for permits, then allow others to join up. That way we can accomodate the needs of 20-30 people. Especially 'cause you know there will be a buttload of people that want to do Pine, Keyhole, and Misery, but there will also be a lot of that have done those and want something different? I think hauling 24 people through Birch or Misery will be tough, hell even taking 12 through those canyons at a time will be hard. My thoughts on the matter.
    I agree with Nelson that 24 may be too many people in a canyon. I think braking up into smaller groups and rotating the groups among the canyons would be better. Then meet up for group stuff. But we need leaders to step up. I'd help a leader with noobs or even be a leader myself if needed. Nelson mentioned in another post Rock Canyon, I've wanted to do that one, maybe us two should team up.

  15. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    There are no more group sites available for Friday through Sunday. They do have 22 single sites available with 2 cars per site, overflow available for extra cars. The max # if people is 6 per site, 2 tents max per site.
    http://tinyurl.com/5n9zav
    http://tinyurl.com/5dlauh
    What are peoples thoughts on this. Do we want to try to reserve some sites or try to get us all in the misquito cove camp area? How many are planning on staying in a hotel? How many are planning on camping? Lets get a tally going.

    ok last edit: I am planning on camping. I have stayed at the misquito cove twice and haven't had a problem getting a spot, of course it was for 4 people for one night not 24 people for 3 nights.
    I am planning on camping. I just checked this site you mentioned above. Most likely, I will end up reserving a spot. Looks like we should all pick similar 'loops' for socializing?

  16. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    I am planning on camping. I just checked this site you mentioned above. Most likely, I will end up reserving a spot. Looks like we should all pick similar 'loops' for socializing?
    I think they assign you a spot when you get to the gate. When I went with a group about this size last year we had the people explain that they were with a group when you get to the campground. They were pretty cool about trying to keep us close.
    The man thong is wrong.

  17. #36
    For those camping is it worth trying to reserve a spot or should we try to get a big spot at mosquito cove, which is free.
    If someone can get down there early enough on Friday to get a big chunk of the area then we might be able to not make every car pay for the entrance fee to get into the park. We could leave some of the cars at the camp and carpool into the park and split the $25 entry fee.
    It seems like that might be more complicated to save a few bucks though. So people that are camping, what do you think? Reserve or dirtbag it?

    Campers - Locals - Hotel list has been relocated to the #1 post in this thread. I'll try and keep all important info in the #1 thread. -Ice
    The man thong is wrong.

  18. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    For those camping is it worth trying to reserve a spot or should we try to get a big spot at mosquito cove, which is free.
    If someone can get down there early enough on Friday to get a big chunk of the area then we might be able to not make every car pay for the entrance fee to get into the park. We could leave some of the cars at the camp and carpool into the park and split the $25 entry fee.
    It seems like that might be more complicated to save a few bucks though. So people that are camping, what do you think? Reserve or dirtbag it?

    Campers - Locals - Hotel list has been relocated to the #1 post in this thread. I'll try and keep all important info in the #1 thread. -Ice
    Because I am unsure of where Mosquito cove is at, I am going to say that maybe we should just do the camping you first mentioned in the above links? Honestly, I am unsure of where anything is at at this point. My first trip into Zion so it will all be new to me.

  19. #38
    Mike and I will be camping....somewhere...
    Do as you would be done by.

  20. #39
    Jason and I will be camping.

    I've always preferred the Smith Mesa road since its higher, hence cooler and can accomodate big groups. Granted there's no bathrooms or water but hey its fun to poop in the woods.

    I've stayed at mosquito before and never been a big fan of it, so many better, free camping spots in the area. I definately won't be staying in the campgrounds but i'll hang out and visit all night.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

  21. #40
    I'm leaving this one up to you all! You guys lead, I will follow. So Tanya if you were us, sounds like you would do Mosquito Cove? I know you know the area like the back of your hand and totally trust your opinion. From the way you describe it, sounds like an awesome spot! I'm not one for curfews anyway....... I'll continue to watch everyones suggestions and just go with it.

Similar Threads

  1. 2008 Zion Bogley noobfest Summary
    By Iceaxe in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-06-2015, 12:58 PM
  2. [Trip Report] Pinecreek June 8th NOOBFEST
    By Jaxx in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
  3. [Trip Report] '08 Zion Noobfest - Don and Josh at Noobfest TR
    By Don in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 11:34 AM
  4. n00bfest June 6-8th 2008 in Zion National Park
    By Sombeech in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 236
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM
  5. Zion partner(s) June 29-1 and June 23rd
    By mrbrejcha in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •