Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Zion Noobfest June 6-9 - See 1st post for info summary

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Ummmmmmmm...I'd like to address the elephant sitting in our living room called "snow-choked Echo Canyon."

We ought to have a good backup canyon in the plans for if this one is still in bad shape.
    It feels like everyone is away at the moment.........

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frankly, I haven't had much chance to put a ton of thought into the canyons I want to do that weekend (as I just got back from a wonderful 3+ days of hiking and climbing in Sedona and the surrounding area), so I think I'll let the peak-hungry side of me take charge...

-Tentatively, I'm planning on Cable Mtn w/Hidden Canyon descent on June 7, and Mystery (assuming it's open and ready for business - I haven't been paying attention and don't know) with a peak ascent beforehand on June 8. If folks don't wanna do the peak on Sunday, that's fine - we can arrange a meet time on the trail near the head of the Death Gully.

CP

Ummmmmmmm...I'd like to address the elephant sitting in our living room called "snow-choked Echo Canyon."

We ought to have a good backup canyon in the plans for if this one is still in bad shape.
    Maybe Rock? Red Cave? I'll haul a bunch down either.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc

If Echo is a no go, I'd love to do Rock. Red Cave looks cool too. But will the sand be too deep for Rock.

Nelson, Rock, Track, Anyone....

I think we might try and sratch Echo.... so if someone has anther plan for Sunday let us know so we can adjust a few things... mostly we need a place to move a few people as we only have 18 permits without Echo...

Since we Adam and I were bumped from the original list for Sunday, keep us off of it, Shane. I better play safe and get home before my wife flies in, to get some brownie points

I'm down for Red Cave. I've never done it, and I've done Subway a bazillion times...

If that's cool with you Nelson, then let's plan on dragging a bunch of folks down that one.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Tyson and Tyson's Girlfriend are doing PineCreek with us on Sunday, they aren't on the list on the first page. So we have room for 3 more people to do Pinecreek on Sunday.
    The man thong is wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    [color=white]We have a couple of backup permits for the Sunday during the fest if anyone wants to use them for a break-away group. Let us know. If not we need to turn those back to the park so others can use them.

Alex - Englestead

I'm down for Red Cave. I've never done it, and I've done Subway a bazillion times...

If that's cool with you Nelson, then let's plan on dragging a bunch of folks down that one.
    Red Cave it is. Its only a 4 hour canyon so those that want to get out of Zion early should be able to make it. Sounds like fun.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

If Echo is a no go, I'd love to do Rock. Red Cave looks cool too. But will the sand be too deep for Rock.
    This time of year the sand isnt too bad...yet. We were in there early May last year and I'm not going to lie there were a few times where the old ford was airborne to keep speed. fun for the others riding but a white knuckle drive for me.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

This time of year the sand isnt too bad...yet. We were in there early May last year and I'm not going to lie there were a few times where the old ford was airborne to keep speed. fun for the others riding but a white knuckle drive for me.
    If doing Red Cave guys (which is one of my all time favorites!) make sure you follow the current directions that I think we all have now. Call Del Tail a few days before so you make sure and catch him. The instruction say to park at the Rock Church, but he will let you drive in. The other way through Mt. Carmel Jct. has private property issues with Sorensen.

Bo's Trail Report
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-red-cave.htm

OK, we need everyone to check the sign-up (very first post in this thread).

If your name is not on the 24 for Saturday or the 18 for Sunday you are considered a breakaway group and should ask questions to whomever is in charge of the breakaway.....

Thanks a bunch to Nelson, Rock and friends for organizing Red Cave for Sunday.... if anyone is on the Sunday 18 and would prefer to do Red Cave you need to contact Nelson and remove your name from the 18. Those looking for an early exit from Zion this is probably your best bet.

I plan to split the Saturday 24 into two groups of 12, and the Sunday 18 into a group of 6 and a group of 12 (that's how the permits shake out). So get your last minute adjustments done so we can do the splits.

After splitting the groups I will post meeting places and times....

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    When did Shane and Tanya bail from the Sunday group? Waz up wit dat?
    If I understand because Echo can't be done it is now gone, Shane was on that. Was it replaced with anything else, like the extra Subway & Das Boot?

Shane/Tanya, please take me and Adam off Sunday group. We are *marked before, but now back on the list. I want to split early. So if there will be spots at Red Cave, we will join them, if not, we will hike our own and take off early.

Nelson/Rock, I will chat with you guys on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

I will never do anther one of these things in Zion....
    I was just reading some Zion history and noticed that the 100th anniversary of Zion becoming a National Monument (then called Mukuntuweap NM) is next year; July 31 1909 - July 31 2009.
    Since the 100th anniversary of it becoming a National Park isn't until 2019 it seems like next July 31 would be a perfect time for a ZionFest...

That's even on a Friday! Perfect.

I will be in Zion from June 3rd through June 7th. I will be in a group site in the Watchman Campground with a troop of boy scouts. Please feel free to stop by for a howdy and a cold Mt Dew. I'll be the one who looks like Santa Claus.
    See you there.
    See you on the Trail

I've noticed my name is still up for Subway on Sunday. I've requested to take my name off. I'll need to leave early and am thinking about Red Cave after Echo was taken off. I understand both Shane and Tanya have done a ton for this, and with the rush the last thing on their minds was to take my name off the list. I hope someone else can take my spot.

I'm still game for Saturday.

Shaun

Bogley BigShot
    Post #1 is updated.

Saturday Morning - Everyone is to meet in the parking lot at the Visitor Center. It will be hard to miss 'Beech and Scott!

I think the meeting time for Saturday is 9am, but I need to check with the boss before I put that up there.

Anyone else want to do Red Cave on Sunday instead of Subway? Red Cave is good for those that want to head home early. It is in Mt. Carmel however instead of Zion -- but Subway is clear up in the Kolob Terrance.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Post #1 is updated.

Saturday Morning - Everyone is to meet in the parking lot at the Visitor Center. It will be hard to miss 'Beech and Scott!

I think the meeting time for Saturday is 8am, but I need to check with the boss before I put that up there.

Anyone else want to do Red Cave on Sunday instead of Subway? Red Cave is good for those that want to head home early. It is in Mt. Carmel however instead of Zion -- but Subway is clear up in the Kolob Terrance.
    I may be up for Red Cave since I may be heading out that way? How long is the hike?