Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Zion Noobfest June 6-9 - See 1st post for info summary

2008 Zion Noobfest June 6-9 - See 1st post for info summary

Bogley N00Bfest - June 6-9 in Zion National Park.

Fest Rule: IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST TO ATTEND AND YOU DON'T SHOW YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME AT THE NEXT EVENT

Meeting places and times....

Saturday - Zion Visitor Center - 9:00 am
    We will pick up all permits for the weekend at this time.

Optional Saturday Night Get-together: Pizza Noodle 7pm - Sadly they only take cash and local checks. They do serve beer.

Sunday - Lower Subway Trailhead - 7:00 am

Directions to Lower Subway Trailhead - AKA: Left Fork Trailhead - From the Zion Canyon Visitor Center drive 14 miles west on Highway 9 to the town of Virgin. Turn north (right) on the signed Kolob Reservoir Road. Travel 8.1 miles to the signed Left Fork Trailhead. The trailhead is on the east (right) side of the road and contains a large dirt parking lot, pit toilet and information kiosk. It takes 30 minutes to reach the TH from Springdale. Don't be late, we will not wait.

Saturday's 24 N00bs and Helpers doing Pine Creek and Keyhole.
    This group will be heading for Pine Creek First.
    1. A.J.
    2. John - alusul
    3. Shaun
    4. Allison
    5. DiscGo
    6. Warren
    7. Axpence
    8. J-Rob
    9. Glasscutter
    10. Shagster
    11. Hanker
    12. Bo (if his injured shoulder allows him to do it)

This group will be heading for Keyhole first.
    1 Ice
    2. Tanya
    3. Alex
    4. Adam
    5. Hank
    6. Randi
    7. Felicia (John, Felicia)
    8. John (John, Felicia)
    9. Win
    10. Scott - Acca - (Acca, Shagster, Glasscutter, Beech, Hanker)
    11. Justin - (Acca, Shagster, Glasscutter, Beech, Hanker)

Sunday Group doing the Subway or Subway and Das Boot.
    This group will be heading for Subway.
    1. Bo
    2. DiscGo
    3. Warren
    4. Shagster
    5. Justin
    6. Hanker
    7. Glasscutter
    8. Win

This group will be heading for Das Boot.
    1. Hank
    2. Randi
    3. Felicia (John, Felicia)
    4. John (John, Felicia)
    5. John - alusul
    6. A.J.

Break-away groups - These groups have nothing to do with the main Noobfest groups. Please contact the person in charge of that group to sign up for it.

Saturday's Break-away Groups for "harder canyons."

Nelson and Rock's Group - Saturday
    1. Nelson
    2. Jason
    3. Mike
    4. Justin - Rockgremlin
    Contact Nelson or Rock for more information

Courtney's Group - Saturday: Cable Mtn w/Hidden Canyon descent
    1. CP - Courtney
    2. DB - Deann
    3. Eiji
    4. Andy
    Contact Courtney for more information.

Jaxx's Group to Fat Man's Misery - Saturday
    1. Jaxx
    2. canyongirl
    3. Caccc
    4. Caccc's wife
    5. Tyson
    6. Tyson's GF
    Trip Full. Contact Jaxx for more info.

Don's Das Boot Trip for Saturday
    1. Don
    2. Josh
    Contact Don for more info

Sunday's Break-away Groups for a "harder canyon"

Courtney's Group - Sunday: Mystery and an early morning Peak bag before that.
    1. CP - Courtney
    2. DB - Deann
    3. Sherry
    4. Jeff Bell
    5. Eiji
    Contact Courtney for more info

Jaxx's Pine Creek Group - Sunday
    1. Jaxx
    2. canyongirl
    3. Caccc
    4. Caccc's wife
    5. Don
    6. Josh
    7. Tyson
    8. Tyson's GF
    Contact Jaxx for more info.

Red Cave on Sunday
    Located in Mt. Carmel - No ropes are needed, but there is lots of downclimbing. How hard the obstacles are depends on the sand level on the day you do it, which in this canyon changes often.
    1. Nelson
    2. Rockgremlin
    3. Adam
    4. Alex -
    6. Shaun
    7. Kyrell
    8. Ice
    9. Tanya
    Contact Nelson or Rock for more info.

There is lots of fun climbing (up and down) in Red Cave!
    Ice Man in Red Cave....

Read below before asking questions:

Important! We are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. You need to be able to do Pine Creek and Keyhole with a group. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle to shore and you do not 'freak-out' when swimming in darkish, cold canyons.

Equipment:
    Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! A shortie wetsuit is required as a minimum, neoprene socks, canyon shoes, helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs). You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. You can probably beg, borrow or rent - rentals are available in Springdale. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

If you feel you need help in the canyons message (PM) Iceaxe.... but ultimately....
    YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

There is no cost for this trip, but permits do cost money. It is good manners if everyone gave the folks who pick up the permits $5 for each route you do. So bring a couple of $5 bills in your pack. We'll let you know who picked up the permits.

Rope: We need several folks to bring rope, and plan on sorting them in the parking lot on Saturday morning. We will be in larger groups and we can move faster if we have the ability to fix several rappels at once and we are hoping to fix the first few raps so we can move faster.

Buddies: We are attempting to group those who car pool, camp or room together into the same groups, so check out the master list above. Those with brackets after your name will be grouped together due to personal logistics. If your partner is not bracketed with you, don't expect to be kept together. It is up to you to let us know who you car pool with. This is already a big project, so please do not ask to be grouped with someone if it's not a matter of staying together for personal logistics. We are going to do the best we can to mix up the groups from Saturday to Sunday so you will be with some new people both days and get a chance to meet others.

What to Expect: Understand that Pine Creek is not an easy canyon. You will be doing long, awkward and free-hanging rappels into VERY COLD water and some rappels drop into water where you will have to swim. Make sure you are comfortable with this trip before you sign up for it. This is not a guided trip since that is not allowed in Zion. It is groups of friends doing canyons together. You need to be able to put on a harness, clip into the rope, and rappel safely and calmly without freaking out - which Noob's DO in Pine Creek! The technical aspects of Pine Creek are not 'easy' although this canyon does take less time to complete than most of Zion's canyons because you park and enter and after completing the canyon the exit hike is not too time consuming. Also keep in mind that the Subway and Pine Creek can be physically exhausting if you are not use to doing these types of canyons.

Pine Creek Info:
    Shane's Info: http://climb-utah.com/Zion/pinecreek.htm
    Bo's Info: http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-pine-creek.htm
    Tom's Info: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/pine.htm

Notice the party time guys! Let's shoot for 7pm since some people like to go to bed early because they need their beauty sleep for the canyons. Randi and Felicia are in charge of the parties, but I threw up a time ladies so those leaving now know when we can meet.

Friday Night Get-together

Bit n' Spur - 7pm Salon and Mexican Restaurant
    http://www.bitandspur.com/

Saturday Night Get-together

Pizza Noodle 7pm
    Sadly they only take cash and local checks. They do serve beer.
    http://www.zionpizzanoodle.com/home.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So refreshing and easy to check up on the event now. Good move Beech!

If Bo and Christian are for sure coming, then I'm demoting myself to helper, and those two to leaders. I can help with anchors, raps, etc, but those two have probably done all of the canyons on the list at least twice.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    If Bo and Christian are for sure coming, then I'm demoting myself to helper, and those two to leaders. I can help with anchors, raps, etc, but those two have probably done all of the canyons on the list at least twice.
    Whoa nelly! I would much prefer to lend a hand, but I'm a bit leary about being "leader". I best enjoy taking part, but not in my best interest to be classified leader. Sorry Bo

Someone has been to a few too many ACA gigs.... we don't have leaders

I have removed the "leader" tags from the list.... this is just a bunch of friends doing canyons together and is not official in any form. You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. We will do a good job of spreading talent among the noob's.......

And please keep the list at the top of this post current.

Seems like the best people to reserve the camp spots would be the ones closer to Zion and who know the "cool" spots.

It doesn't work like that Alex.... if folks want to camp someone needs to set up and reserve a group site in the campground.... or maybe try and reserve several spots next to each other. I know some will stay in motel rooms and most of the locals go home to sleep.... a group site ends up being a place to socialize and for those camping a place to pitch a tent.

So.... who wants a turn in the barrel? Someone who plans to camp needs to step up and take charge of this part of the deal....

I was just saying someone who is closer to the park would know which camp sites are better to reserve within the campgrounds.

You know where I am staying, Shane.....as always

Bogley BigShot
    There are 2 campground in the park. South Campground and Watchman, but I think only the Watchman has group sites?

Watchman Campground
    Open: Year-round Reservations: March 20, 2008 through October 25, 2008. Group camping is available at the Watchman Campground. There are seven group sites that can accommodate groups varying in size from 9 to 50 people. Tents are the only type of camping equipment allowed in the Group Sites.

Group Campground reservations can be made by calling 877-444-6777 or online at
    http://www.recreation.gov/homeLeft.d...ex=CampingSpot

The Watchman Campground is near the south entrance at Springdale.
    All campsites are drive-up and allow a maximum of two vehicles. Each campground has overflow parking for excess vehicles.
    Check out time is 11:00 a.m.

Comfort stations provide flush toilets, cold running drinkable water, and trash containers, but no showers or electrical outlets. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire pit with attached grill. Quiet hours are 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.

Showers

* Tsunami Java & Juice (ph #: 435.772.3237)- First building on the R when you leave the park from the S entrance; 8.00 - 18.30, 7 days/wk; $4 for unlimited time

* Zion Canyon Campground (ph #: 435.772.3237)- .5 mi from the S entrance of the park on the L side of the road in Springdale; 8.00 - 20.00, 7 days/wk

* Zion Rock & Mtn Guides (435.772.3303)- 1.5 mi from the S entrance of the park on the R side of the road in Springdale; 8.00 - 19.00, 7 days/wk

I miss out on the early planning, so this trip gets moved outside Zion and my skills of sitting in line at 3 am are no longer needed?

Can I count on somebody flacking and just show up for this one or is it too late?
    Hold my glasses, I'm going to jump!

The group limit is currently capped at 24 because we didn't want this to get out of control before we could get a handle on the situation.....

If you want to join the fun please add your name to the waiting list and give us a chance to get this under control.... depending on a lot of things.... we could expand the size of the event. Those on the waiting list that can provide a needed service might be given some preferential treatment.... The preferential treatment is to make sure we have enough talent to spread among the novice.

And anyone currently willing to take on the group campground responsibilities moves to the head of the class.....

I'm a little late to this party but I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and plan on going down...especially if Christian is going to be there! It'd be great if we could get a small group together and do Heaps. High on my list to hit this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    It'd be great if we could get a small group together and do Heaps.
    Heaps is NOT a canyon suitable for a Noobfest.... Think easy canyons that you can get noobs through safe and fast... Experience is expected to mentor novice at a noob fest.

Don't make me stop this noob-fest and come back there and smack you...

Quote Originally Posted by Odie_Canyon
    I miss out on the early planning, so this trip gets moved outside Zion and my skills of sitting in line at 3 am are no longer needed?

Can I count on somebody flacking and just show up for this one or is it too late?
    I already signed you up last week for your permit getting abilities. Check the earlier posts. Not sure why your name is shared with Price. I even had you down as one of the helpers on page 14 before it got split.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Ahhh. I love you too.

Looks like anybody with experience is going to be needed for this thing.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    I'm a little late to this party but I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and plan on going down...especially if Christian is going to be there! It'd be great if we could get a small group together and do Heaps. High on my list to hit this year.
    Look at all the love I'm getting. Luckily theres enough of me to go around.

With me, Jason, Alex, Mike, Shane, and Justin you know there's going to be a good time somewhere.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    you know there's going to be a good time somewhere.
    It's all fun and games until Shane ends up in handcuffs.... isn't that right LJ?

Man, everyone is coming out of the woods, my vote goes to expand the people limit and split the noobfest trips into two or what not. Then get together at night for some bsing. I'd hate to turn folks away, especially the ones who have showed up to the events in the past and are reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    I already signed you up last week for your permit getting abilities. Check the earlier posts. Not sure why your name is shared with Price. I even had you down as one of the helpers on page 14 before it got split.
    Is Price - Jason intended to be "Nelson's Buddy" If so, remove Odie from the waiting list, and if not...
    Hold my glasses, I'm going to jump!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Man, everyone is coming out of the woods, my vote goes to expand the people limit and split the noobfest trips into two or what not. Then get together at night for some bsing. I'd hate to turn folks away, especially the ones who have showed up to the events in the past and are reliable.
    What about setting it up like a TomFest? Each 'leader' can pick a canyon, arrange for permits, then allow others to join up. That way we can accomodate the needs of 20-30 people. Especially 'cause you know there will be a buttload of people that want to do Pine, Keyhole, and Misery, but there will also be a lot of that have done those and want something different? I think hauling 24 people through Birch or Misery will be tough, hell even taking 12 through those canyons at a time will be hard. My thoughts on the matter.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!